Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group announces the acquisition of Turbine, Inc., the Boston-based developer of Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited, and The Lord of the Rings Online. According to the announcement, Turbine was previously North America's largest privately-held online gaming studio, and here's a bit that perhaps reveals one of the reasons for the deal: "Previously, Warner Bros. held all The Lord of the Rings (LOTR) games rights, with the exception of the literary MMO (massively multiplayer online game) rights. Now all games rights for the LOTR franchise will be unified under the Warner Bros. shield."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 21, 2010, 18:10 Talisorn

Hmmm .... two of my favorite games right now are LotRO and DDO. It could go two ways:
* Warner leaves Turbine to do their shit and scoop the profits (hell they may even invest in Turbine to help them do their shit), or
* Warner fuck over both games by interfering.

I pray it's the former.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 21, 2010, 02:32 Closed Betas

well we all knew a new AC would never come, i mean they are going backwards in mmo technology, It's been over 10 years and still no system matches the design aspects AC brought to the table, you sit back and wonder how they made this game back then. These one on one battle cookie cutter MMO's will never shine because they never understood what made the game fun.. The loot rewards that meant something, and you were able to show it off in game, which created the community.. not some basic cookie cutter one suit fits all game.. and then the massive combat of not 1 on 1 combat that made every aspect of Dereth shine forever..

Oh well, we have the memories

9. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 23:25 Kxmode

Pretty simple reason for doing this. Warner Brothers obtained the films right to The Hobbit. There's already a LOTRO game out. So now that they own the films rights, and basically the MMO rights they can make money in both arenas.

From a Turbine fan POV I'm really disappointed because now Asheron's Call is officially dead (realistically how long do you think Warner Interactive is going to allow it stay alive?), and there's NO WAY we'll ever see an Asheron's Call 2 proper.

8. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 22:33 Parallax Abstraction

They just recently announced its 3rd expansion. In what way has it been neglected?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 22:09 eXFeLoN

Lol neglected since launch? I stopped playing when the latest expansion came out, but it's hardly been neglected.  

6. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 21:36 LazyCat

This games has been neglected since launch, so I dont really see anything new happening.
Really a shame since its the only game with you can play as a monster vrs regular players.

Wargie pounce!

5. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 21:30 shul

this is.. interesting..

WB WoW ?

4. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 21:18 Innocent

does this mean i can kiss my secret dreams of an AC 1 remake with modern tech goodby?  

3. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 21:18 KezClone

Closed Betas wrote on Apr 20, 2010, 20:44:
Couple years ago I might have cared, but Turbine don't mean much to me any more. Even the AC classic is kinda like whoop dee doo, Can see thru them making The Shadows a playable class, the devs played as Shadows back in 1999 as a community event.

Basically there is nothing of importance left developer wise at Turbine, so its a move for them, means nothing to the industry, good or bad.

What a ridiculous post.

2. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 20:44 Closed Betas

Couple years ago I might have cared, but Turbine don't mean much to me any more. Even the AC classic is kinda like whoop dee doo, Can see thru them making The Shadows a playable class, the devs played as Shadows back in 1999 as a community event.

Basically there is nothing of importance left developer wise at Turbine, so its a move for them, means nothing to the industry, good or bad.

1. Re: Warner Bros Acquires Turbine, Remaining LOTR Rights Apr 20, 2010, 20:35 Veterator

So they couldn't figure out how to make a Matrix Online game fun.....and are dabbling again. I foresee good things happening for Turbine.....hah.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo