Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

L4D2 The Passing Thursday

Valve announces The Passing DLC for Left 4 Dead 2 promised for this week will be released this Thursday for the co-op shooter on Windows for free and on Xbox 360 for 560 MS points. Word is:

The first game add-on for Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) brings the original Left 4 Dead (L4D1) Survivors down south for a meeting with the L4D2 cast, while delivering new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay for the PC and Xbox 360.

The Passing also introduces a series of weekly game mode events dubbed "Mutations." These week-long runs of new gameplay modes range from "Realism Versus" mode to "Chainsaw Massacre," which gives all players chainsaws with an unlimited supply of gasoline. There are over 20 Mutations planned, each playable on all L4D2 Campaigns. Mutations are exclusively available to owners of "The Passing" DLC.

In addition, "The Passing" offers a new co-operative challenge mode of play, support for infected bot play in Versus, a new "uncommon common" zombie class (the fallen survivor), melee weapon (golf club), and firearm (M-60).

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 21, 2010, 10:11 Ecthelion

This sounds like a decent amount of new content.

I'm not sure why being able to resell games is considered an advantage of the console platform. Maybe the sheer number of console games makes that a worthy consideration, but as a PC gamer I would never want to sell any of my games. I buy games to own them, and I replay a lot (but not all) of my games. Even if I don't though, I like having a persistent game collection. Maybe it's part of that collector mentality - I own a lot of DVDs but I haven't rewatched very many of them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 21, 2010, 01:41 BobBob

I love you Valve!  

20. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 21, 2010, 00:45 PHJF

are any of you geniuses old enough to remember when regular people could host game servers with different mutations and you could just pick which one to play, rather than being at the mercy of your daddy?

You mean Unreal Tournament when they were coincidentally also called mutations?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 23:30 Jerykk

Keep spending $50-$60 a game with no way to resell them and i'll keep spending the few dollars it costs me to get games via goozex.

Most PC games cost $40-50, not $50-60.

And you really shouldn't be boasting about saving money by buying used console games. Hey, guess what, I can get all my games for free on PC. All I have to do is click a few times and poof it's on my hard drive. Is it illegal? Sure, but developers are just as screwed by used sales as they are by piracy so legality is something of a moot point.

So why the fuck do people pay $40-50 bucks a year for their GOLD membership?

Probably for the same reason 80,000+ people paid $25 for a WoW mount. They just don't care. If they want something and they can afford it, they buy it. Why worry about being exploited? Complacency is much easier.

18. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 23:29 loomy

are any of you geniuses old enough to remember when regular people could host game servers with different mutations and you could just pick which one to play, rather than being at the mercy of your daddy?  

17. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 23:22 PHJF

Then you better assemble your crack team of programmers and come up with a better OS.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 23:19 Sempai

Tumbler wrote on Apr 20, 2010, 22:16:

To those of you who use a 360:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Keep supporting Microsoft. Go on, keep paying that annual fee you simple minded fuck wads. I can see it really is much better online.

Ok. Keep spending $50-$60 a game with no way to resell them and i'll keep spending the few dollars it costs me to get games via goozex. $50 a year doesn't sound that bad when you can get all the games you can play for 10% the price you can on the PC. (average cost of a new game is about $5 in the end, it takes some patience though)

The games are "different" in the same way DVD's are different from blu-ray's but some of us just won't sit through this exploitation of pc gamers and keep handing them money. You already paid them how much for this game? If I wanted it right now it would cost me a whopping $1. One fucking dollar. And it's sitting there waving at me. All I have to do is submit my request and poof it's in the mail.

Keep laughing sir. You go on and spend your money on games you don't own, I'll spend my dollars on games I do own and trade them for newer ones when I feel the need.

Sorry but your analogy fails.
I dont even turn in my console games for credit cause you get raped literally.
Seriously dont pay attention to the dumbshit laughing at console owners, anyone who posts like that is obviously prepubescent.

Microsoft needs to die, just fucking die.

15. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 22:16 Tumbler

Keep supporting Microsoft. Go on, keep paying that annual fee you simple minded fuck wads. I can see it really is much better online.

Ok. Keep spending $50-$60 a game with no way to resell them and i'll keep spending the few dollars it costs me to get games via goozex. $50 a year doesn't sound that bad when you can get all the games you can play for 10% the price you can on the PC. (average cost of a new game is about $5 in the end, it takes some patience though)

The games are "different" in the same way DVD's are different from blu-ray's but some of us just won't sit through this exploitation of pc gamers and keep handing them money. You already paid them how much for this game? If I wanted it right now it would cost me a whopping $1. One fucking dollar. And it's sitting there waving at me. All I have to do is submit my request and poof it's in the mail.

Keep laughing sir. You go on and spend your money on games you don't own, I'll spend my dollars on games I do own and trade them for newer ones when I feel the need.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 22:05 Tanto Edge

Edit: This sounds like a really nice package of stuff too!

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2010, 22:13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

13. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 20:32 Sempai

Am i the only one that see's what complete fucking doosh bags Bill Gates and his company are?

Free PC

NOT Free on Xbox?

So why the fuck do people pay $40-50 bucks a year for their GOLD membership?

What a bunch of money grubbing bastards.
The company behind the actual content is releasing it FREE but Microsoft grabs it and puts a price on it for their premium paying customers on Live.

LOL what a fucking joke.

12. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 20:08 nin

Has Valve ever done non-free DLC on the PC?

I believe it was called Left 4 Dead 2.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 19:51 Yosemite Sam

There should be a mode where you are literally never given a break, even if you get into an elevator the director should be able to drop zombies down the shaft at you and always be able to do something.

Isnt that what survivor mode is.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

10. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 19:14 ^Drag0n^

Has Valve ever done non-free DLC on the PC? I'd guess that the 560 MS points is to offset any 360-specific distribution fees MS has on the DLC...

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

9. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 19:13 Prez

That's a hefty helping of content. THIS is the Valve I know. Can't wait for Thursday!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 19:07 ASJD

It took them way too long to announce free on PC. But still, cool.  

7. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 17:39 Fion

Thursday is gonna rock. Avatar on Blu-Ray and The Passing DLC

Mutators sounds awesome, bots in vs is fantastic (I can never get any practice for vs, I always get kicked.). New co-op, new zombie, golf club and (omfg) M-60!

Cant wait!

6. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 17:10 Roachmojo

Sweet! And free for the PC is friggin awesome!  

5. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 17:05 Beelzebud

This is always going to be the great disadvantage to playing on closed systems like the Xbox. You're in Microsoft's world, and they are all about making as much money as possible. On a standard PC, they have not say in the matter. Valve wanted DLC content on Xbox Live to be free as well, and MS won't let them do it.

I really hope Valve ports Steam to Linux. Now that it's been done for Mac it can't be much more work to make a proper Linux client. They're both based on *nix.

4. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 17:00 Tumbler

I'd love to see get more ambitious with the director role and let a player take that spot and have more freedom on what to spawn so the people trying to survive would literally be at the mercy of that sadistic son of a bitch.

Like this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/3/29/

Would be awesome to have rts like controls and be dropping zombie rushs and baddies all around the players. The maps in L4D got old pretty fast since there were always safe zones, areas that once you were inside the game never attacked.

There should be a mode where you are literally never given a break, even if you get into an elevator the director should be able to drop zombies down the shaft at you and always be able to do something.

Screw fair and balanced, this is the zombie apocolypse, YOU WILL DIE!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: L4D2 The Passing Thursday Apr 20, 2010, 16:56 Cutter

And it costs more on the 360, wtf? Meh, whatever still waiting for this to hit the bargain bin.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo