Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging

Ubisoft announces plans to use new "eco-friendly" retail packaging for upcoming Windows and console games. Starting with Shaun White Skateboarding this holiday season, their console games will include digital game manuals (as their PC games have since last month), and starting with the release of the PC edition of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction on April 27 they will introduce "the entertainment industry’s most environmentally-responsible DVD case for all of its future PC titles in North America." The "ecoTech" DVD case is made from 100% recycled polypropylene. Here's word on the impact of digital manuals: "Ubisoft internal data shows that producing one ton of paper used in Ubisoft’s game manuals consumes an average of two tons of wood from 13 trees, with a net energy of 28 million BTU’s (equivalent to average heating and energy for one home/year), greenhouse gases equivalent of over 6,000 lbs of CO2, and wastewater of almost 15,000 gallons."

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 20:08 derelict koan

RCH wrote on Apr 20, 2010, 09:29:
So, we're all in agreement here correct?

Ubi is a magnanimous company that places customers AND the environment FIRST!!

I would say rastify it by ten percent and we're there...

Awesome thread...it's heart warming to see the word Ubi has turned into the zombie horde alert it deserved to be, from the moment they looked into the palantir and found that DRM

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 15:40 G-Snake

AHAHA what a joke.

If these goofs and other game companies gave half a flying fart about being 'green', they'd offer their entire library, including brand new games on Games on Demand, so that anyone can download them and store them digitally. Not only would you not need a manual, no case, no disc. Isn't that even more green than just saving a few pieces of paper...you know, saving a lot of plastic? As it is now, I don't think a single new game has been released on GoD, so if you want a digital version, you usually have to wait at least 2, maybe 3 years before it's available digitally.

Just an idea.

I really don't care anyway, seems more like fluff and Ubisoft wanting to feel good about themselves, more than anything.

Getting kind of tired of all this green-loving BS. Do your part, sure, but leave me the hell out of it, and don't just do it to say you did it so you can brag to your friends about how self-righteous you are.

51. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 13:43 Mashiki Amiketo

KA(Klingon Academy), IWD, PS:T, BG/BG2. Although I think KA holds these days as about my thickest one. It's pushing nearly 1" thick, with a lovely comb binding on it, it feels and reads like a book.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

50. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 13:39 DG

Last time I saw a good manual was the last time I bought a Civilization game.

Time before that, it was the Civ game before that.

TBH there's only a few games that need a manual at all. Usually the most you need is to have a flick at the key setup. Most games if you have to look in an actual manual they must have made a big mistake with the UI.

Just to be clear this does not apply to Civ, which damn well needs the huge, well written, hard copy tome that they consistently deliver.

49. Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 20, 2010, 10:53 Lord Tea

even if you grow your games on trees, Ubi.... with the current DRM they are completely out of the discussion.  
UPSA = United Police States of America

48. Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 20, 2010, 10:04 Luke

DLC : Manual $4  

47. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 09:29 RCH

So, we're all in agreement here correct?

Ubi is a magnanimous company that places customers AND the environment FIRST!!

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

46. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 08:46 necrosis

InBlack wrote on Apr 20, 2010, 07:02:
You think your ping is bad?? It took Jesus 3 days to respawn!!!

(I know its off topic, but its still funny! )
LOL. I haven't heard that one in a while. And yes, it still is funny.

45. Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 20, 2010, 07:40 zcaa0g

Sweet move, UbiSoft. Now I will print out the manual on paper that wasn't previously recycled.  

44. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 07:02 InBlack

You think your ping is bad?? It took Jesus 3 days to respawn!!!

(I know its off topic, but its still funny! )

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 20, 2010, 06:58 Blackhawk

Most of the really impressive manuals went out when the industry switched to the small boxes. There just wasn't room for them. When the push was made to package everything in DVD format (even if there was no DVD case), even small dimension large manuals had to go. Since then, there hasn't been enough room available to put in anything but disclaimers, copyright notices, credits, system requirements, and list a few basic controls.  

42. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 06:37 peteham

Prez wrote on Apr 20, 2010, 03:21:
Okay, so I got a little dark there for a sec. My bad.
There's no 'dark' in "fully biodegradable material". Hahaha_no

41. Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 20, 2010, 06:19 Acleacius

Good, but as damage control over drm.this is a total waste.

drm is so inherently bad there is no amount of marketing to compensate with the possible exception of giving the game away for free. THEN they would have to right to only allow playing while connected to ubi mothership, NOT when charging for a game and certainly not full price.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

40. Re: Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging Apr 20, 2010, 06:12 MattyC

To be fair, manuals have been garbage for years so we might as well cut them out entirely. However I do think it is silly when developers complain about piracy all the time, but cut everything possible out of the retail product and then make it worse with DRM than the version some jerk will get from Pirate Bay...

/me thinks back to rich well done manuals and other cool inserts that came with games in the days of yore

39. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 05:38 Eldaron Imotholin

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 19, 2010, 21:38:
Right, cause taking out the manuals is all about being good to the environment and not reducing costs another few cents to the detriment of consumer value.

This.

But nevertheless, fact is that it's also being good to the environment. What Ubisoft has done here is definitely respect-worthy and it's ridiculous if anyone states otherwise. I think every company should change to this method.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

38. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 05:27 Closed Betas

Rhett wrote on Apr 20, 2010, 00:47:
They better not be PDFs... I hate PDFs.

Oh, and maybe manuals make good reading material outside of playing the game.

Meh its just them saying they dont want to pay anyone to make this crap anymore and to spin it off like they are some environment friendly saviors and get some free press.

37. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 03:24 Dmitri_M

I'm sure someone's already taken this cheap shot but:
Recycled packaging for recycled games.

Ho, ho.

36. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 03:21 Prez

Okay, so I got a little dark there for a sec. My bad.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 03:17 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Apr 19, 2010, 23:37:
Ubisoft can make boxes and manuals out of human skin for all I care

Does it put the lotion in the box or else it gets the hose?

34. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 02:49 peteham

Ubisoft can make boxes and manuals out of human skin for all I care
Now there's a collector's edition I would buy. It would go well with my necklace of ears.

On a more serious note, does anyone even read the tiny pamphlets included with games today? Losing them completely isn't going to be much of a loss.

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo