Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Kotaku - An Open Letter To Roger Ebert.
Some might look at Meyer's films and write them off as simply sexploitation and be unwilling to look deeper and to think and be engaged — ditto for Fulci's work or 1970's exploitation films. Critics might do this. Movie fanatics do this as well. But what both have in common is a love for the cinema. They are arguing about something they feel passionately about. The debate has moved past "Is film art?" and has now settled on "Is this film art?" Both of which end up being exercises in frivolity because art, like food, is a matter of taste.

But when someone who has only seen a handful of films says something like, "What's so great about Werner Herzog movies?" or "Isn't Yasujiro Ozu a boring director?", those who know film write off such questions as mindless prattle. There is a reason why you are a film critic, Mr. Ebert. You know film. You know film and appreciate it deeply. You understand what makes a good film. You have written countless articles and books on film. You have even written a great film. But one thing must be kept in mind at all times: You are not a video game critic.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2010, 01:18 UnderLord

Yes,you can't go wrong with a Monocle (even if you wear it in the wrong eye it still looks great)
Monocles are back in fashion
Actually, I have astigmatism in only one eye and good focus at screen distance, I should definitely get one!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2010, 03:38 Prez

If gaming garners this much debate about gaming's artistic merit, it should stand to reason that regardless of whether it is art or not, at the very least it has matured into a medium that is viewed by society as being worth discussing in such a capacity. To me, that's progress in and of itself.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 20:53 Tanto Edge

Why thank you
Monocles all around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

14. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 20:03 ^Drag0n^

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 19, 2010, 14:16:
I wear a monocle when I play video games.

Well that certainly explains the issue you're having with that new nvidia 3d thing....

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

13. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 18:22 derelict koan

I too shall get a monacle  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

12. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 17:11 Wallshadows

Cool story brah.  

11. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 14:39 Tanto Edge

Someone just slap Ebert.

I don't give a flying rats fucking ass if this guy is entitled to his own opinion. There is no reason this fat fuck's opinion should be news.
I was pissed off when he opened his mouth, I was angry when people reported on it, and I'm even more so now that I see we the gaming populous are actually acknowledging this tired old fuck.

Somebody just put him out of our misery, and let's get back to criticizing games for the shit that matters.
Like interface, something that movies, and guys like Ebert will never have. An interface. Some way for me to slap Ebert, would be an interface. Me telling Ebert to his face, that he is an overfed sow, is a form of interfacing.

This is just fucking ridiculous.

I'd settle for Molyneaux telling me about breathing game worlds right about now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

10. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 14:16 Wallshadows

I wear a monocle when I play video games.  

9. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 13:56 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Apr 19, 2010, 13:38:
Not sure why anyone gets so offended when Roger Ebert talks about games. I think more and more people are starting to see games as serious competition for movies and possibly the future of movies. Seems like Roger Ebert is simply trying to discredit games which comes off as crazy to anyone who's played them. Let him yammer on, who cares.

Yup. What's more is that this whole "Videogames are/are not art" debate has been raging on for fucking years, and every year some other dude makes an argument for or against it, and voila, the whole thing starts all over again.

Does whether a game is art or not make you enjoy it any less when you play it?

It's such a useless debate.

Creston

8. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 13:38 Tumbler

Not sure why anyone gets so offended when Roger Ebert talks about games. I think more and more people are starting to see games as serious competition for movies and possibly the future of movies. Seems like Roger Ebert is simply trying to discredit games which comes off as crazy to anyone who's played them. Let him yammer on, who cares.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 13:15 ^Drag0n^

It would probably be a stretch to consider "gameplay" an art form. I would, however, take issue if game design and the resulting product be anything but.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

6. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 13:11 Bucky

PropheT wrote on Apr 19, 2010, 12:27:
It's all pretty simple to me.

If a painting, story, film, dance, or theater involve you on an emotional level and make you feel something by taking them in...they're art. That's what makes them art; the ability to invoke an emotion in the viewer is the entire point of art.

It's as ridiculous to think that no game (or film, etc.) does this as it is to proclaim that all games do.

Well said.

5. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 12:27 PropheT

It's all pretty simple to me.

If a painting, story, film, dance, or theater involve you on an emotional level and make you feel something by taking them in...they're art. That's what makes them art; the ability to invoke an emotion in the viewer is the entire point of art.

It's as ridiculous to think that no game (or film, etc.) does this as it is to proclaim that all games do.

4. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 12:21 zirik

Caveman wrote on Apr 19, 2010, 10:29:
Speaking of Kotaku, I found this article pretty funny:
http://kotaku.com/5520100/what-gets-you-banned-from-xbox-live-until-the-year-9999

now that might be considered an art. the kid was exploring ways to express himself!

3. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 11:42 Cutter

Art is in the eye of the beholder. And why would questions that question the status quo be mindless prattle? Again, just because some people consider these things art doesn't mean they are. It just makes them pretentious assholes.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 10:58 InBlack

I wouldnt go so far as to call playing a game an art form. Might as well call Tennis art. Or Skiing. Or Ice-Hockey.

Game design. Well thats another matter...

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2010, 10:29 Caveman

Speaking of Kotaku, I found this article pretty funny:
http://kotaku.com/5520100/what-gets-you-banned-from-xbox-live-until-the-year-9999

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo