Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II AO in Korea

StarCraft II has earned an "Adults Only" rating in Korea, reports The Korea Times. The article concentrates on the likelihood that Blizzard will appeal this decision, but does not make it clear why the game review board decided the real-time strategy sequel is unsuited to youngsters. Thanks Kotaku.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 18, 2010, 11:45 Burrito of Peace

We should have listened to General MacArthur about Korea.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 18, 2010, 04:34 J

StarCraft II: Serious business

(would like to burrow my zergling in Sarah Kerrigan's creep)

13. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 18, 2010, 03:00 entr0py

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but I suspect this is the government's attempt to keep the workers productive, and not playing viday games. It seems like they've really pushed stories about the dangers and excesses of gaming. And given the crazy popularity of Starcraft in Korea, I wouldn't be surprised if they see it as a threat to their economy.  

12. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 18, 2010, 00:44 Creston

Ruffiana wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 22:07:
They could rate this game 'buy it and we'll kill you on sight', and it'll still sell like crack in Korea.

Laugh all too true.

Still, that's just weird. Based on WHAT is it getting an AO rating?

Creston

11. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 22:07 Ruffiana

They could rate this game 'buy it and we'll kill you on sight', and it'll still sell like crack in Korea.  

10. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 21:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Narf2029 wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 14:56:
Those stories are never global news. On the other hand, kids stabbing or shooting each other over a video game in southeast Asia has been mentioned several times here at least. Probably not a measure to prevent these acts so much as it is a measure to prevent news of these acts from getting into global media.
The fact that it's not global news is part of the problem. See doing this "one way street" thing simply carries a bias that you're trying to show. People stab each other for breathing wrong, stepping on someones shoes, to get something they want...to take another person as their property. To remove others to get someone else. Meh...whatever.

Until people figure out that they're getting told their opinion instead of figuring it out on their own I don't hold much hope.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 20:10 Charlie_Six

I thought Korea was considered East Asian. just sayin  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

8. Re: stricted Apr 17, 2010, 18:49 space captain

alien boobs  
Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 16:15 DG

joe2tiger wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 12:33:
Being an adult, I'm more likely to buy such an "AO" title from Blizzard. Maybe that will prevent the 8-12 year old kids from screaming rage into the mic or keyboard during play.
Unfortunately the worst kids mostly have parents who aren't paying attention to notice the rating, or no longer have sufficient control over them.

Of course it's still all the fault of the video game that they didn't even notice they were playing.

6. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 15:55 D_K_night

because the game is violent and bloody. look at how how those marines die. hahah no no, the reasons are easier to explain.

They don't want youngsters so addicted to the game that they can't concentrate on their studies. It's ok for ADULTS like Slayer~Boxer or established pro-gamers(who are adults) to play the game.

It won't stop kids from buying the game. It's just to *reduce* the number of kids who drop out of college, middle school, in the hopes of becoming the next Slayer~Boxer. Part of the issue comes from how revered these pro-gamers are, and how easy it SEEMS to took home more money in 1 day, that it takes your parents an entire year to earn.

Why waste all that time studying, only to graduate, get a low-paying job, when you could be spending those same hours practicing and doing something fun instead(like Starcraft2)? The Korean govt sees that mentality amongst youngsters - even though the starcraft industry(TV shows, tourneys, sponsorshops, etc) in Korea is enormous...it's not a viable young-term career for kids and the govt needs to get that message across.

And this is how they're gonna do it, raise the barrier to entry. Do I agree with it, of course not, but I do see the reasons for it.

5. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 15:03 wallace321

does this mean we can expect nudity? Zerglings gone wild? Hot terran on protoss action. sign me up!

This is probably just about the supposed addictive qualities of the game.

4. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 14:56 Narf2029

Considering people stab and shoot at each other for breathing wrong, I'm not sure what the point is.

Those stories are never global news. On the other hand, kids stabbing or shooting each other over a video game in southeast Asia has been mentioned several times here at least. Probably not a measure to prevent these acts so much as it is a measure to prevent news of these acts from getting into global media.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

3. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 14:22 Mashiki Amiketo

Narf2029 wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 14:08:
Probably to try to prevent kids from shooting and stabbing each other over losing a game in an internet cafe.
Considering people stab and shoot at each other for breathing wrong, I'm not sure what the point is.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 14:08 Narf2029

Probably to try to prevent kids from shooting and stabbing each other over losing a game in an internet cafe.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

1. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 12:33 joe2tiger

Being an adult, I'm more likely to buy such an "AO" title from Blizzard. Maybe that will prevent the 8-12 year old kids from screaming rage into the mic or keyboard during play.  

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo