Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success

VG247 quotes Splinter Cell: Conviction creative director Max Béland saying Ubisoft's PC DRM, which requires a constant internet connection, is "vital" to their business. He said: "We consider that protecting our PC games is vital to our business, and will allow us to continue investing in the development of creative and innovative games on the PC platform." This is excerpted from a full interview with Béland, which is accompanied by the first 20 minutes of Splinter Cell: Conviction in video.

View
120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

20. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:44 briktal

spindoctor wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 11:33:
gilly775 wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 10:15:
Really? Vital? And how come this DRM isn't vital to companies like StarDock and yet they are selling games well with no DRM???

Because Stardock games cost 20-50 times less to make and subsequently the sales required (and obtained) are significantly less? Half a million sales of a game is a success for Stardock. Half a million sales for the high budget games would result in the studio being shutdown and the employees being fired.

Can you explain how DRM factors into this? Are you saying that Stardock games aren't big enough to lose sales due to piracy? Because basically what you said is: a) Stardock games have smaller budgets than big studio AAA titles b) the sales Stardock games require to make money are lower than BSA3T and c) if a BSA3T had the sales a stardock game had they'd have to shut down. Nowhere in that is anything about DRM or piracy addressed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:37 Scud

Fartacus wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 11:21:
Arithon wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 11:13:
DRM isn't free. Drop it and pass on the cost saving. Cheaper game AND no DRM? Who WOULDN'T buy it? THAT would be a success..

I'm not trying to defend Ubi here, but douchebag pirates wouldn't buy it, regardless of the price. DRM is the symptom, piracy is the disease.

Maybe, but piracy is never going to go away and anyone who thinks they can really stop it is delusional. UBI can't control piracy but they do have control over how they respond to the problem, alienating their paying customers will not help them in any way.

18. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:33 spindoctor

gilly775 wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 10:15:
Really? Vital? And how come this DRM isn't vital to companies like StarDock and yet they are selling games well with no DRM???

Because Stardock games cost 20-50 times less to make and subsequently the sales required (and obtained) are significantly less? Half a million sales of a game is a success for Stardock. Half a million sales for the high budget games would result in the studio being shutdown and the employees being fired.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

17. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:33 Wolfen

Wildone wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 11:27:
Its like this. If a game is good Im going to buy it, if its not I wont.
If I even smell the hint of a console port its a no buy. How bout them apples?!

Its your choice. =)

16. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:33 justice7

Ubisoft just doesn't get it

I don't pirate games, and i HATE buying games laden with DRM. I dont like to be treated like a criminal for buying your games.

Morons.

15. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:27 Wildone

Its like this. If a game is good Im going to buy it, if its not I wont.
If I even smell the hint of a console port its a no buy. How bout them apples?!

14. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:21 Fartacus

Arithon wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 11:13:
DRM isn't free. Drop it and pass on the cost saving. Cheaper game AND no DRM? Who WOULDN'T buy it? THAT would be a success..

I'm not trying to defend Ubi here, but douchebag pirates wouldn't buy it, regardless of the price. DRM is the symptom, piracy is the disease.

13. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:17 J

With their heads shoved this far into the clouds*, their next logical step would be only releasing their games via cloud computing.

*not necessarily the most fitting word, but certainly nicer than the alternative

12. Re: Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success Apr 16, 2010, 11:15 Wolfen

A permanent internet connection to play a single player game is NOT vital to the PC market. Ill buy settlers 7 when the crappy requirement for a permanent internet connection is gone. You can have my money then. Ill type in cd-keys, registration keys, ill register to your site. But I refuse to purchase a SINGLE PLAYER game where I do not interact with other human beings over the internet that requires me to have a permanent connection to your servers that are not 100% reliable in allowing me to play my game when I wish.  

11. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:13 Arithon

Sucess of what? Not piracy prevention. There are 12,162 seeders and 21,034 downloaders of AC2 on the first torrent site I looked at. They have a DRM server emulator and re-direct all URLs to localhost. Cracked. Just like that!

I won't buy a game with this kind of DRM nonsense. So, success? Yes, they succedeed in making me not buy the game I had pre-ordered (now cancelled).

Piracy went through the roof when games stopped having any intrinsic value. Games went from boxed collectables, to a bland DVDs in an empty generic plastic case. This was several YEARS before internet broadband and game downloads were possible.

You cannot download pewter figurines, mousemats, posters, (good)manuals, keycards etc.

In the meantime, rewarding the pirate and punishing the paying customer is not in any sense a "success" unless your agenda is to kill the PC gaming business.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

10. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 11:13 raven01

Verno wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 09:55:
It's definitely vital in helping me avoid Ubisoft game purchases.

Ditto

9. Re: Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success Apr 16, 2010, 11:10 Killdozer

In my case, what was "vital" to their business was providing a functioning game in return for my money. Since they failed to do this with Double Agent, I haven't bought an Ubisoft game since.

I thought it would be difficult since Ubisoft used to be one of my favorite developers, but it really wasn't hard at all...

8. Re: Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success Apr 16, 2010, 10:47 Paketep

First, bwahahahahahaha!. Second, stop justifying yourselves and fuck you, Béland.  

7. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 10:31 Linksil

I don't think you guys get it. It's vital to showing them that the PC market isn't viable and that they just need to cut out PC versions of all their games to save money/time. I've basicly hit a wall of wanting to play some of these games, but won't buy it with this DRM. So I just either watch all the videos (nice of them to release 20 mins of a 5 hour game online) or goto a friends out with it(not give them sales again). I've never had a problem with any of these online connection games (even BFBC2) but the thought of not being able to play single player because someone runs their company bad is just a horrible idea.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

6. Re: Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success Apr 16, 2010, 10:21 Mac

I'm unsure as to how alienating your customer base is vital to your business.

I do see the need to put superficial DRM around products so as to attract "grey suited" investment, who believe that DRM stops piracy.

However, in the real world, we all know that pirates will pirate anything no matter what you do - it just takes time. However, when things you put in place to stop these pirates impacts on your legit customers experience and reduces the sales then you have gone over the top.

Just look - the guy who produced the first working AC2 crack was infact a legit purchaser, who just got fed up with the unreliable Ubi servers and just wanted to play a single player game he had bought when he wanted to play it - not much to ask really is it?

Ubisoft need to understand that this DRM is not acceptable, and people will continue to avoid their games on PC until they back down.

Just look at the price of all recently released Ubi games - all under £15 within a month of release - it just shows that the retailers cannot sell the expected volumes, and the reason isn't becasue of more people pirating the software, it's because there are a number of people like me who refuse to buy anything so restrictive.

I have no problem with protecting your software, but anything that requires an always on connection or online verification bothers me - what happens when the companies go bust, or switch off their authentication servers - I am left with a coaster! I recently installed Dialo 1 and 2 on my PC - I will not be able to do this with any of these games, unless they patch it out as they go bust or close off servers - and what are the odds on that?

In the end - keep this DRM and hurt your own sales ... no problem to me if you want to shaft yourselves.

5. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 10:19 Frijoles

When PC game sales dwindle to nothing, we'll see how vital their PC market really is.  

4. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 10:16 InBlack

Creative Director of what? If he thinks DRM is a good thing he isnt being very creative at all. Hackers and Pirates will just get another very dificult challenge to overcome...indeed they will have to be very creative to do that. And legitimate customers with problems caused by the intrusive DRM will also have to be creative in getting the damn thing to run....

....so his title is indeed justified!

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 10:15 gilly775

2. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Apr 16, 2010, 09:57 Sencho

"...being stifled." was missing from this headline.  

1. Re: Ubisoft: DRM "Vital" To PC Success Apr 16, 2010, 09:55 Verno

It's definitely vital in helping me avoid Ubisoft game purchases.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo