Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW, That's an Expensive Horse

The Blizzard Store now offers sales of the Celestial Steed, a World of Warcraft mount priced at a healthy $25.00, and perhaps a Trojan horse for a more microtransaction-based future. Here's word on the pricy pony: "Freshly born from the Twisting Nether, the Celestial Steed flying mount lets you travel in style astride wings of pure elemental stardust. So saddle up, because this supernatural warhorse will fly as fast as your riding skill will take you, and it will travel at 310% speed if you have at least one other 310% mount. Once activated, this World of Warcraft in-game mount key applies to all present and future characters on a single North American World of Warcraft license."

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

140. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 20, 2010, 05:18 Closed Betas

Sepharo wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 11:54:
Krovven wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 17:05:
There are no mounts in the game that have the perks the Celestial Steed has. For the dollar amount of what works out to roughly an 45min to 2 hrs of RL pay, depending on your job, versus the time spent in game...it's easily justifiable.
Unless I'm mistaken don't you need to have a mount already and riding skill before making use of this DLC mount? It is essentially a "paint job" for whatever you already have.

Now if this mount was already in the game, could be used alone, and had it's own high "speed", but it took a significant amount of time and effort to attain, then and only then would I say this is worth $25.

The "perks" you allude to here must only be the fact that you don't have to pay $25 more than once. Quite the deal!

Is this my horse once I buy it? Can I sell it for profit? If its only obtainable by "Real Life" merchanting, can it be taken now for trade in any common merchant habitat or street corner? and if you say no? Why not? they get to create virtual things, inflict obnoxious real world value into it, but then control it as if were nothing outside te norm of a subscription based item?

Think Blizzard just opened a can of worms against this whole virtual copyright protection system of who can do what with what... Maybe they planned this.. I see it as awesomeness if virtual products are to be considered just as any tangible item and merchanting virtual items becomes 100% legal.. Why should it not? My super great great great grand pappy traded some beads for your great daddies animal skins. why not some virtual coin? Its all the same

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

139. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 19, 2010, 11:06 Verno

You can't really reason with people paying $25 for My Little Pony, to be fair.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

138. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 19, 2010, 03:13 Agent.X7

I have this great image in my head of someone with their fingers in their ears, their eyes squeezed shut, and they are chanting over and over "I'm right, you're wrong! I'm right, you're wrong!"  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

137. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 18, 2010, 16:52 JohnnyRotten

kxmode wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 02:04:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 01:46:
This mount is still a ripoff.

It's not a ripoff. The horse comes with armor. Oh, and it has wings and glows... GLOWS! You can't put a price tag on that! It's nuts!

Wait, the horse comes with virtual nuts? I'm in...

136. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 20:37 Sepharo

End thread.

135. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 19:51 Jerykk

Value *is* subjective, whether you chose to see it as such or not.

I don't think it's that simple, as I've explained. There are objective factors to consider, like quantity and the pricing relative to similar products. This is why we have standard prices. If value were purely subjective, there would be no standards.

I suppose you could say that there's objective value and subjective value. Objective value is what I've been describing for the past few pages, where value is established by comparing the content and pricing of a given product to similar products. Subjective value is what you've been describing, where value is determined by how much personal enjoyment you derive from the product.

Objectively, the Celestial Steed is overpriced. Most DLC provides more content for a significantly lower price. Subjectively, the Steed might be worth $5000 or $5 to you. I don't really see any point in arguing about subjective value because, like you said, it's completely subjective and doesn't really follow any rules or logic. You can just assign any arbitrary value to it.

134. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 17:30 ^Drag0n^

You grazed right over the most important part of the post:

Also, please don't reconstruct my argument; the purpose was to show that both products, while books, have totally different value structures.

If some kid's grandmother choses to spend $25 bucks on her granddaughter that plays WoW, and her grandaughter uses it a good portion of the times she plays, how is that a bad value? To her, she's buying that moment that her grandaughter thinks of her every time she uses it, rather than on an expansion pack that will fade into obscurity. The fact that the object scales with the highest rank steed her granddaughter has just extends the usable life of the DLC. As far as I know, most other mounts in that game do not do this. Again, it extends the useful life of the DLC.

Someone here equated it to a "paintjob and wings." Probably the most accurate statement here. Like I said. It's not of significant value to *you*. Fair enough. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you. And about 80,000 WoW players, apparently, do not. Hell, you don't even play WoW or buy DLC, so this conversation is really a huge waste of time on *both* our parts.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

133. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 15:46 Jerykk

How about a more similar comparison. Lets say, a mount in Runes of Magic. The most expensive one cost the equivalent of $13. But, that mount is not available for all characters (bind on account) and that mount doesn't scale with your characters riding skill. Plus it doesn't even look as good as the Blizzard mount.

You forgot to mention that Runes of Magic is free to play and therefore must rely on microtransactions to generate any kind of revenue. With that in mind, charging more for DLC makes more sense, though $13 for a mount is still overpriced.

WoW, on the other hand, costs $15 a month and does not rely on microtransactions for revenue.

So, if you want to make a really specific comparison, answer me this: How many other subscription-based MMOs charge $25 for mounts that are completely superficial and offer no real benefits to the player?

Actually, you're totally wrong. I didn't buy the manual to save money, I make more than enough to pay someone to maintain it for me. I do it because I enjoy it.

Fair enough. But your analogy is still flawed. Let's say the standard price for service manuals is $30 but the one you bought cost $100. That = overpriced. It doesn't matter how much you enjoyed reading it or how often you used it, it cost more than three times more than the standard price of service manuals.

The Celestial Steed is a vanity item, much like the WoW pets. However, the WoW pets cost $10 while the Steed costs more than double that.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2010, 15:52.

132. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 14:00 Sleep

Sepharo wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 11:54:
Unless I'm mistaken don't you need to have a mount already and riding skill before making use of this DLC mount? It is essentially a "paint job" for whatever you already have.

and who in their right mind would pay money for a paint job... oh hang on.

131. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 13:42 ^Drag0n^

Ah, what the Hell, I've got. 5 minutes.

Actually, you're totally wrong. I didn't buy the manual to save money, I make more than enough to pay someone to maintain it for me. I do it because I enjoy it.

Which is the core of my point : you, me, blue, and anyone else on this board isn't able to dictate a value to anyone--value is individualistic. What one person thinks of as a waste of money may give someone else days/weeks/years of enjoyment.

So, while my little celestial pony is of no value to you (a non-WoW player), that doesn't mean it is a ripoff to one that makes use of it on a daily basis and gets enjoyment from it.

^D^

130. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 11:54 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 17:05:
There are no mounts in the game that have the perks the Celestial Steed has. For the dollar amount of what works out to roughly an 45min to 2 hrs of RL pay, depending on your job, versus the time spent in game...it's easily justifiable.

Now if this mount was already in the game, could be used alone, and had it's own high "speed", but it took a significant amount of time and effort to attain, then and only then would I say this is worth $25.

The "perks" you allude to here must only be the fact that you don't have to pay $25 more than once. Quite the deal!

129. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 10:22 Beamer

I find zero wrong with this. Zero.

1) The mount doesn't improve you at all. It's entirely limited to what you can already do. Therefore people aren't buying an advantage, just a new costume. I have no qualms with that, because there's no incentive to buy it other than thinking it looks cool. The DLC that drives me insane is the DLC that rewards money over skill. If this was some sword that did massive damage then I'd be peeved.

2) The mount is available to everyone. You don't need to complete some hard quest then buy it, essentially making a reward a paid transaction, but any dope can buy it.

3) The mount is like an Ed Hardy shirt. When you see someone with it in game you'll pretty much know they're a tool that you should keep out of your party. It's handy tooldar.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

128. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 10:15 Zadig

The vendor can charge what they want for an item, and the consumer can choose not to buy it. If the vendor is consistently wrong they'll go out of business eventually. That's as fair as it gets.

Personally, I've never understood 'vanity items' in an online game but I'm sure it's a nice revenue stream for the developers.

127. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 09:00 Deathbishop

How about a more similar comparison. Lets say, a mount in Runes of Magic. The most expensive one cost the equivalent of $13. But, that mount is not available for all characters (bind on account) and that mount doesn't scale with your characters riding skill. Plus it doesn't even look as good as the Blizzard mount.

After that comparison, you get closer to $25 than you think. Value is how you perceive it. You don't play WoW, so you can't possibly perceive the value of something in a game you have no experience in.

How much do you think a heirloom item would be? Or a T10 item? Are these terms foreign to you? Of course they are.

126. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 05:23 Prez

Popcorn  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

125. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 05:08 Jerykk

No, it is directly relevant and comparable. You are comparing the value of fallout dlc, a single play item (for most people), to a reusable object (a service manual). If a person buys an object for an mmo that they use every day, that isn't neccessarily a poor value.

I'm sorry but a WoW mount is not comparable to a service manual for your car. You don't buy a service manual for entertainment. You buy it so you can learn to maintain your car yourself and save money in the long-term. And again, a car is something most people need for their livelihood, which makes a service manual a practical item to have. People don't need WoW or any other form of entertainment. Playing WoW isn't going to increase your mobility and job opportunities. Therefore, WoW is not analogous to a car and a WoW mount is not analogous to a service manual for a car. But hey, let's pretend that some people can't live without WoW and consider it a necessity. This DLC still wouldn't be analogous to a service manual because it's too superficial. There are plenty of mounts already included in the game. This mount doesn't let you go faster than all the others. Blizzard has even gone on record as saying that the Celestial Steed is basically just a new skin. So, a better analogy for cars would be $10,000 rims. Superficial and overpriced when compared to other rims.

Secondly, using something everyday doesn't prevent it from being overpriced. $1000 videocards, for example. You may use them every day but the price/performance ratio is not comparable to cheaper cards. Apple products are another great example. You can get equal or greater functionality and performance from similar products but for a whole lot less money. Apple fans may use their Apple products everyday but that doesn't make them any less overpriced compared to equivalent products.

124. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 04:43 Dev

Verno wrote on Apr 16, 2010, 17:56:
Here's a real Celestial Steed and it's cheaper than $25.

OMGPONIES!!!!

Reminds me of that april fools a few years back with /.

Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 01:13:
That's not really a valid analogy to this situation. A service manual is a practical item. You have to have a car if you want any job flexibility and that car has to be maintained.
And thats situationally and locationally dependant. For instance, for many who live in NYC, they dont HAVE TO HAVE A CAR while retaining job flexibility. Same thing in many big cities in europe, they have fantastic mass transit systems.

123. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 04:41 ^Drag0n^

No, it is directly relevant and comparable. You are comparing the value of fallout dlc, a single play item (for most people), to a reusable object (a service manual). If a person buys an object for an mmo that they use every day, that isn't neccessarily a poor value.

I'm not saying I think it's worth it ( and neither you nor I are qualified to judge that, as neither of us play WoW), but size/quantity does not always mean quality.

Personally, WoW and the Sims interest me as much as a colonoscopy, but I know there are people out there that think the same about FPS games as well, so QED.

Anyway, I'm through with this. Arguing opinions is retarded.

^D^

122. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 01:13 Jerykk

Totally disagree. Case in point: what's more valuable, the $25 750-page Tom Clancy novel I read once, or the $100 200-page service manual for my car I use every time I wrench on the vehicle?

Choice is easy. Service manual every time. Why? Because I use it far more regularly.

That's not really a valid analogy to this situation. A service manual is a practical item. You have to have a car if you want any job flexibility and that car has to be maintained. Any product that can make that maintenance easier and more efficient is automatically more useful than any entertainment product. A much better analogy for this whole mount business would be comparing the value of a $25 750-page Tom Clancy novel to a $100 100-page Tom Clancy novel.

I'm not comparing the value of this mount to food, rent, cars or anything that you actually need because necessities and practical items have completely different pricing standards than entertainment. If we were to judge food by the same standards that we judge videogames, everything would be a ripoff because even a $50 meal will only provide about two hours worth of sustenance before you crap it out.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2010, 01:22.

121. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 17, 2010, 00:20 ^Drag0n^

Totally disagree. Case in point: what's more valuable, the $25 750-page Tom Clancy novel I read once, or the $100 200-page service manual for my car I use every time I wrench on the vehicle?

Choice is easy. Service manual every time. Why? Because I use it far more regularly.

Volume doesn't always equate to value. I've got a box full of games I wish I never bought that testify to that.

I'm NOT saying that "My Little Sparkly WoW Pony" is a bargain, but I am saying that volume doesn't neccessarily imply a quality value either.

^D^

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo