Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Infinity Ward Exodus Continues

Kotaku has news of two more departures from Infinity Ward in the lingering aftermath of the firings of studio heads Vince Zampella and Jason West, saying lead animator (and rapper) Mark Grigsby and lead character animator Paul Messerly have both left the studio, which is confirmed on Joystiq by updates to Grigsby's and Messerly's LinkedIn profiles. Just a month ago an article on Kotaku speculated why there had not been mass departures from Infinity Ward, but following the resignations of lead designer Todd Alderman and lead software engineer Francesco Gigliotti, programmer Jon Shiring and designer Mackey McCandlish, programmer Rayme Vinson and lead artist Chris Cherubini, a story we missed saying MW2 lead designers Steve Fukuda and Zied Reike have quit, and these latest two exits, that question that seems pretty moot by now.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 23:24 ^Drag0n^

Overon wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 19:23:
Who exactly is responsible for the lack of dedicated servers? Activision or IW?
West's answer at gameinformer

Overon wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 19:23:
Who exactly owns the Modern Warfare name IW or Activision or is that being litigated?

That is what the litigation will determine. West et.al. claim that their most recent contract gave them ownership of "Modern Warfare," and gave them certain rights regarding Call of Duty IP set after the Vietnam war. We'll learn more in June when it hits the courts.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 23:05 SirKnight

Here's a tip. Do NOT search google images for Jason West with Safe Search turned off. Yikes!  

48. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 21:38 wtf_man

Ruffiana wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 15:32:
How about 2015 with the same group of people. 22 developers (including all of production and the leads) jumped ship immediately after Medal of Honor: Allied Assault to form Infinity Ward and create the Call of Duty franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Ward

I'm sure after the same 22 people leave... the remaining 60 or so will be pouncing on promotional opportunities.

47. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 20:17 Ruffiana

I would imagine that the lack of dedicated servers was a mutual decision. They were really focused on consoles for MW2, the PC version was just icing.

As for the IP, I can't imagine any scenario where Activision didn't gain ownership of it (assuming they didn't already have it), when they purchased IW in 2003

46. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 19:50 Hump

I'm leaning towards Acti being responsible for the server issue. With the profits margins on the PC version already being miniscule they probably saw no need to spend the extra labor cost to implement dedicated server capability.

Its typical short term thinking on the part of corporate shitbags nowadays. If it doesn't bring in money in the immediate fiscal quarter they could care less about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

45. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 19:23 Overon

Who exactly owns the Modern Warfare name IW or Activision or is that being litigated?

44. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 18:05 ^Drag0n^

Ruffiana: I didn't remember that spillout being that big. I stand corrected.

But yeah, Entr0py, the core team for both games were the same...they've been idTech users since the very beginning. It's amazed me what they squeeze out of the older engines. Honestly, that was thepart that impressed me the most about COD:MW--it came out about the same time as Crysis, and delivered about 80-90% of the same eye candy at a much lower hardware threshold.

^D^

43. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 17:59 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 15:52:
That only works if you have the financial means to make your own game. Most publishers being asked to put up millions of dollars to fund a game are going to want some collateral for their financial risk, and that generally involves some stake in the IP in case the game is actually successful and ripe for becoming a franchise.

Yup.
Plus films are much more profitable. There's a very long tail with them. First you have the release. Then the on-demand. Then the DVD. Then decades of television rights.

With a video game release you get the one release then it fades into past-technology oblivion.
I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. Unless/until a studio reaches this level (and only a few ever have), you really won't ever see the type of freedom that these guys obviously want. The good news is it appears that they have their value structure right, otherwise the people that are following them out would never do such a thing.

^D^

42. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 17:51 entr0py

That's interesting, I always had the suspicion there was some connection between MOH and COD, I guess just because the games are so similar. But, like most gamers, I just knew the names of the developers not the employment history of their members.

Now the new company just has to come up with a "Something of Something" title and they're all set. May I suggest "Men of violence". Fuck yeah I'd buy that.

Ruffiana wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 15:32:
Never seen a exodus this big...at least on a voluntary level.

How about 2015 with the same group of people. 22 developers (including all of production and the leads) jumped ship immediately after Medal of Honor: Allied Assault to form Infinity Ward and create the Call of Duty franchise.

41. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 17:41 Icewind

The MW "Series" is overrated anyway. Just an army recruitment tool meant to brainwash poor white trash into joining the military so they can live out the exciting life of a psychopathic courageous Arab terrorist hating serial killer American patriot.

Hopefully, in their new company, these ex Infinity Ward fellows move away from this jingoistic garbage.

40. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:52 Beamer

That only works if you have the financial means to make your own game. Most publishers being asked to put up millions of dollars to fund a game are going to want some collateral for their financial risk, and that generally involves some stake in the IP in case the game is actually successful and ripe for becoming a franchise.

Yup.
Plus films are much more profitable. There's a very long tail with them. First you have the release. Then the on-demand. Then the DVD. Then decades of television rights.

With a video game release you get the one release then it fades into past-technology oblivion.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:47 MrBone

Guys, it will simplicity incarnate for the new company to get capital to create a new game. There won't be a problem with that part of the equation.  

38. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:46 Ant

elefunk wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 13:03:
LOL - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242939&site=pcg
Good one! Still plenty of people left!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

37. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:34 Ruffiana

I've long thought that one of the things that the Games industry could learn from the film industry is to do like Lucas did with his films: you own the franchise, IP, and derivative rights, and sell the marketing rights for a film on a per-title basis to the Film Companies (i.e. distributors). Keeps everyone honest.

When your options are 1) Sell the IP rights to the publisher or 2) Shut down the studio and walk away from the game/IP entirely...not many people can choose option 2.

36. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:32 Ruffiana

Never seen a exodus this big...at least on a voluntary level.

35. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:24 Ruffiana

They will get 2, possibly 3 more huge selling games out of this franchise. Which arguably, would be about all they would have gotten out of it if anyway if the majority of IW, or even just the top talent there, was getting burnt out on this franchise anyway.

At least this way, Activision gets to pocket a lot more of the long-term royalties they would have had to pay out. It's actually kind of a win for Activision.

Gamers lose out, but the vast majority of people buying these games are clueless berks who don't know what a developer is, and just think that Activision makes all of the Call of Duty games in some kind of Activision-elf workshop.

The game industry is driven by the consumer mass market now.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2010, 15:29.

34. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 14:56 Beamer

Robert Bowling is going to be put in charge of IW, MW3 is all on him now.

I'll be shocked if he leaves.
FourTwoZero is him, yet also so closely tied with the studio and franchise.

In any case he's pretty much rocketted up the totem pole. It's damn near his studio now. He can rebuild it. He has the technology corporate financing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 14:36 Verno

The outcome is the same so who really cares why people wish for it? Regardless of their wishes its done now.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

32. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 14:27 Tumbler

Or are you just celebrating that the studio is dying because they didn't support dedicated servers? I certainly hope that's not the case.

Sadly...you nailed it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

31. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 14:23 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 14:17:
Bobby has plenty of people lined up to shit in a box, call it Call of Duty, and see it sell 7 million copies.

I applaud your Tommy Boy reference. Bravo good sir. Bravo! Clap

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo