Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

A Paralyzed Gamer's Story

A story on Asylum.com tells the story of Randy Fitzgerald, aka NoM4D, a 30 year-old aspiring game designer who is a professional gamer in spite of being paralyzed from the neck down since birth. They tell the tale of him overcoming this at the age of three as a Pac-Man prodigy playing with his chin to his leadership of a the gaming team EOG (Equal Opportunity Gaming). Randy plays using his lips and chin, "I've got a lot of facial movement," he explains. "I can do Jim Carrey–style expressions with my face. I can get to hard-to-reach buttons with my lips." He has also worked with peripheral companies on controller designs, and there are games like Call of Duty 4 that feature "Nomad" control schemes, though his controller of choice is a flaky prototype that sometimes leaves him unable to compete when it fails. It's a very inspirational story. "The first time I played a video game was the first time I ever had real control over something," says NoM4D. "It was my first real taste of independence. 'Hey this is something I can do on my own. I don't need Mom or Dad or my brothers or sisters to sit here and help me. I can sit here locked away in my room 24 hours a day and do this'." You can see videos of Randy in action on his YouTube Channel. Thanks Ant via Digg.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 22:22 MuzixMon

Game On NoM4D! Much respect for your will to play!  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 19:18 Overon

That story make me feel good.  

7. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 14:25 Creston

Damn, that is really impressive. That's a great story. My hat off to Randy.

Creston

6. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 13:33 Kxmode

Amazing skill!

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2010, 01:51.

5. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 13:18 Donkey_Punch

I never thought about games for people who are paralyzed but I am glad it is something that they can do and that there are some products to help.

So much negativity is posted about video gaming by usually religious nuts that they completely overlook the positives.

4. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 11:42 joe2tiger

I give a lot of props to the guy and commend him on his achievements.

This article brings to mind that there are experimental technologies being worked on. I've seen a device that a person can wear as a cap on the head and pick up electrical impulses from the brain, that might be something for him...

Also, with all seriousness, what about a "Matrix" like plug-in device to the back of the head or neck? As long as I'm not one of the beta testers, hence final product (maybe 2.0 or 3.0) I would have something like that implemented for myself.

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

3. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 11:16 the_culture

Blank  

2. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 10:47 InBlack

The Advocate wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 10:29:
Stand up and take a bow!

It doesnt get any blacker than this...

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: A Paralyzed Gamer's Story Apr 15, 2010, 10:29 Burrito of Peace

Stand up and take a bow!