Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Tax Day, as income tax returns are due in the U.S. by the end of today. Of course this is not a particularly happy occasion for all of us, but think of how happy CPAs are all over the country now that the taxing tax season is over.

Taxing Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Creeping.
Connect It. Thanks Jay is Games.
Mr. Runner.
Links: Picasa finds a potential Doom Marine. Thanks Advocate.
The 10 Weirdest Educational Video Games.
Bacon AT-AT.
Stories: Man's static jacket sparks alert.
Tax Day rhetoric aside, Americans' bills are lower. Thanks Acleacius.
Science: Computer Chips Inspire New Water Purifier. Thanks Vulture.
Freeing human eggs of mutant mitochondria. Thanks Acleacius.
Why We Havenít Met Any Aliens. Thanks Slashdot.
APOD: A Large Space Station Over Earth. Thanks brother19.
Media: TF2 Interactive: A Heavy's 2fort Adventure. Thanks KrAzYeTy.
Dan The Man - A story about getting the video game Princess.
Pacman Ghosts Discuss TV.
The Funnies: Now You're Thinking With Portals! Thanks Digg.
Follow-up: Drugs, Poisons and Metals in Our Meat. Thanks Acleacius.
NASA to rocket humanoid robot to International Space Station.
Cassini Captures First Video of Extraterrestrial Lightning.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2010, 11:36  Xymph 

Akuinnen wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 16:53:
kxmode wrote on Apr 15, 2010, 14:25:
Very cool! Most days it's 0 / 30. What gives?
It comes and goes in waves. One minute it's 10+ people then a bunch leave and it's only 3.
Yup. In looking back over the player count history, almost every day it hits 20+ at least once, occasionally twice, and sometimes even maxes out at 30. It might be possible to graph that, except I don't think there's much point to it.

We need a Blues News Trackmania clan.
Go for it. Race

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Bacon AT/AT Apr 16, 2010, 03:50 jdreyer

As to why we haven't seen signs of intelligent life in the galaxy contacting us or visiting us, one need not look further than the story about the bacon AT/AT.

Oh, why, why, why, why, why, why, WHY?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2010, 22:15 xXBatmanXx

wOW. My first outdoor baseball game....pretty sweet. Sun, beer, 8-0 beat the Red Sox. Very impressed.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2010, 16:54 Kxmode

It comes and goes in waves. One minute it's 10+ people then a bunch leave and it's only 3.

I have dibsies on [MadMax]!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2010, 16:53 Akuinnen

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2010, 14:25 Kxmode

TrackMania Server

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2010, 12:23 RenownWolf

Other life in the universe? Totally believable. Our Galaxy alone is beyond belief in size.

I don't know if they roll around here, I've never seen any or noticed anything that was proof enough for me to go "OMG ALIENS!" except maybe that episode of X Files oh wait, that show ain't real!

Agreed on SETI, if they had the energy to send us a message, they would have the ability to turn up and say hello. Then again, we have issues detecting Suns going Nova at long distances and it's hard enough to see planets within our own galaxy or even other galaxies that might not even be within our current ability to see.

Humans are small compared to even our solar system let alone our galaxy or even the universe.

http://www.renownwolf.com

5. Re: Out of the Blue : Now You're Thinking With Portals! Apr 15, 2010, 12:23 Steelcamp

I never thought of that....BUT wouldnt create a paradox? Universe imploding and all that.  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

4. TF2 Heavy Apr 15, 2010, 11:34 Fion

On a less 'heavy' subject, this Youtube adventure ROCKED. I laughed so damn hard. Best youtube adventure I've ever played!  

2. Why haven't we met any aliens yet? Apr 15, 2010, 11:02 Fion

They are all around us, anyone who has had a sighting (and not just dots of light in the sky sightings either) knows this. If I were an alien race I'd hide my presence too. We slaughter millions of our own race every year, the first thing we'd likely do would be try to blow them out of the sky. The government has successfully created myth around aliens, made them so any time they pop up on the news they are only good for a laugh and never taken seriously.

Many would think me crazy for even 'believing' but I don't believe. I have seen with my own eyes silent craft that cross miles in the blink of an eye, almost faster than can be seen, and come to a dead, silent stop.

I mean my god several notable countries or government officials, defense ministers, etc, have come out saying they exist. Canada, France, Russia, England, and more.

And 'no credible sightings' is bullshit. There are so many radar reports out there of things doing impossible, humanly incapable things that it boggles the mind that anyone would say 'no credible sightings'.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2010, 10:38 InBlack

Interesting article on why we havent met any aliens. One glaring problem with it though.

It assumes that intelligence as we know it is the end-all be all of intelligence in general, when in fact it is only taking into consideration "human" intelligence.

Another less glaring one is the problem of communication through space. Any cosmologist who knows his stuff will tell you that its nearly impossible to communicate over long distances in our galaxy.
For example the T.V. radio waves that our civilization has been emmiting constantly since the 1950s are so weak when compared to solar, background, quasar, and pretty much any kind of energetic activity that happens in the universe that within a few light years they pale in comparison.

SETI will never find anything. Its a useless quest. No civilization would expend (HUGE AMMOUNTS) of energy for an indefinite ammount of time so that someone somewhere could detect their existence.

I have a nifty blue line!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo