Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Infinity Ward Departures

More developers have parted ways with Infinity Ward as part of the protracted aftermath of the firing of studio heads Vince Zampella and Jason West, reports Eurogamer. Word is programmer Jon Shiring and designer Mackey McCandlish have tendered their resignations, about a week after the departures of lead designer Todd Alderman and lead software engineer Francesco Gigliotti. There's no word whether any of them have signed on with Respawn Entertainment, West and Zampella's just announced new studio. For their part, Activision tells Gamasutra: "We look forward to continuing to work with Infinity Ward’s deep bench of proven talent on exciting new projects."

View
22. Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Apr 13, 2010, 19:13 ^Drag0n^

Tumbler wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 13:49:
...I don't see any franchises that (Treyarch) are behind that are commanding industry wide respect.

IW built CoD and everyone knows it. If Treyarch wants that respect they need to build a franchise like IW did. (CoD2 -> Cod4 -> MW2) CoD3 -> CoD5 is hardly the same.

The new features that showed up in CoD4 were ground breaking. Kill Cams, online rpg elements, dozens of weapons to customize, a minimap that showed enemy locations based on sounds, firing through walls, perks, ALL of that was built into CoD5, treyarch didn't come up with those things, they just modded them to be more WW2 friendly.

Then IW comes out with MW2 and it has a ton more features...which Treyarch will likely include in their next game...forgive me if I give IW WAY more credit for blazing the trail and coming up with new ideas.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. Not meaning to sound harsh, but by the argument you present, Raven should be considered nothing but a derivative studio. And I doubt many here would think that.

From a historical standpoint, most of Trearch had actually been around since before 2015/IW. Under the "Xatrix" label they produced a mission pack for Quake 2, then went on to make "Kingpin" for Interplay, as one of the first Quake 2 Engine licencees. They had (and continue to have) exceptional AI, thanks to Ryan Feltrin (a.k.a. Ridah, of Eraserbot fame back in the Quake days), great weapon and balance (the flamethrower was stellar...you never saw that in any IW game), and their MP maps had great ebb and flow: never favoring one team over another.

While I understand that you give accolades to IW for a lot of the content and mechanic, a hefty portion of the ballistics and weapon modding you mention were evident in Battlefield, Rainbow Six, and Ghost Recon franchises long before COD:MW even spread it's wings.

That aside, it wouldn't have been smart for Treyarch to omit the features in CoD5...people would have screamed bloody murder.

The truth is, every studio builds of the expriences they feel are relevant when looking at other games; when dealing with a franchise they probably do have to do that moreso. I guess I just don't think Treyarch needs to prove themselves. If nothing else, the Zombie mode in CoD5 did it for them. Personally, I found that Co-op game far more engaging than L4D 1 or 2.

But, like I said, I guess we'l just have to agree to disagree.

^D^

(edited to correct spelling errors.)

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2010, 19:47.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Apr 13, 10:20 Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Darks
  2. Apr 13, 10:22  Re: More Infinity Ward Departures nin
  3. Apr 13, 10:25  Re: More Infinity Ward Departures InBlack
  4. Apr 13, 11:26 Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Jim
  5. Apr 13, 11:44  Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Beamer
  7. Apr 13, 12:23   Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Tumbler
  9. Apr 13, 12:59    Re: More Infinity Ward Departures ^Drag0n^
  14. Apr 13, 13:49     Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Tumbler
>> 22. Apr 13, 19:13      Re: More Infinity Ward Departures ^Drag0n^