Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia

StarCraft II will sell for less in Russia than in many other territories, will include limited multiplayer support, and will involve monthly fees, reports IncGamers, though there will also be a method to upgrade to a "full" version of the game. Word is the game will sell in Russia for 999 rubles ($34/Ä25), which will include a year of multiplayer access to play against other Russian players, and there will also be a version for half as much that will offer 120 days of Russian multiplayer access. Word is that owners of the Russian version will also have the opportunity to upgrade to the same version as the rest of the world to receive lifetime multiplayer access that allows play against players in other territories, though it's not clear how much this will cost. Though this confirms that Battle.net can handle subscriptions, there's no word on whether such a scheme will be enacted in other regions, and Blizzard has apparently already stated this will not be the plan in Poland, where these reports first surfaced.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 15, 2010, 15:39 Kxmode

Oh. I wasn't aware you could do that. I'll need to look for that. Thanks for the tip!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 14, 2010, 16:09 FloorPie

Meh, the beta has been nice to play against AI in 2v2 or ffa modes. AI isn't real challenging but its let me check out the units and test build orders.  

27. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 14, 2010, 14:10 Kxmode

Dinosaurs wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 14:44:
Kezzek wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 14:23:
Am I a freak? I've never played Starcraft. I feel like I'm alone in this.

If you didn't start playing when the game was released, it was just about impossible to get into it because everyone else is so damn good. This is gonna be a thousand times worse in SC2 because everyone has been playing SC1 for a decade

This is why I stopped playing Beta. I'll just wait for the single-player game. The multiplayer aspect is a complete clusterfuck of epic douchebaggery. I kid you not.

26. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 20:02 Kabuto

As it stands, I don't have any problem with what they are doing. It makes sense to offer a less expensive legal alternative in markets rife with piracy. However, it does go to show that a lot of the hoopla about lost revenue due to piracy in their primary markets is often a lot of hot air. If it wasn't, why not use the same strategy in the US and Europe?

I thought blizzard already announced their plan to monetize bnet using a free to play system with paid "extras". I don't see why they would abandon that model before it even gets started.

25. Sounds great Apr 13, 2010, 18:34 entr0py

I'd love to get the single player portion of StarCraft II for $14. Starcraft multiplayer has always been the domain of a small percentage of uberleet players, with the average player giving up on it after a couple games.

I know they would never charge that little in the US, but it would still be awesome if you could pick up a similar package here for $40.

24. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 18:13 Talisorn

RussianGirl wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 17:50:
Well, in Soviet Russia, many of people unfortunately can't afford $60 games. If you go at the legal Russian market, you can buy PC-games for $10-$30. It doesn't include english voices, but it's cheaper. And what Blizzard is doing is just a reasonable anti-piracy measure.

Sounds reasonable to me actually. It sounds like a good idea for cash-strapped students as well.

It's what people have been complaining about Windows for years: "If they made the OS cheaper maybe people would buy it". Blizzard have come up with the idea; lets see if it floats before condemning it. Or is that too "progressive" for some of y'all.

23. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 17:50 RussianGirl

Well, in Soviet Russia, many of people unfortunately can't afford $60 games. If you go at the legal Russian market, you can buy PC-games for $10-$30. It doesn't include english voices, but it's cheaper. And what Blizzard is doing is just a reasonable anti-piracy measure.  

22. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 17:42 Tumbler

So it sounds like Russia will sell A)$34 version that has limited multiplayer support, and 1 year of online gaming with ppl in russia, B) $17 version that comes with 120 days or multiplayer access in russia and both versions will be upgradeable to the full world edition that lets you play against everyone and forever without a fee...

No mention on how much that upgrade will cost...or how much it will cost at the end of the year or 120 days if you wanted to just keep going month to month. Sides like a huge scam... I think I'd go for a world version first thing rather than trust the company to offer a fair price after you signed up for this other BS.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 17:09 Luke

Any Ideas as to WHY Blizzard is doing this?

I suspect it's for markets where games have a very very high piracy rate...

Hmm so piracy does pay off or ?

20. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 16:57 Lord Tea

I bet by the time they release faction 2 (maybe 3) of Starcraft you'll have to pay for access to battle.net.

There is a very very very good reason to drop LAN support. Do you really believe it's easier to code Starcraft's/Diablo's communicating with battle.net than just include some good old LAN capabilities? Add 1 and 1 and you're there. It's all about revenue.

UPSA = United Police States of America

19. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 16:28 Darks

When they start charging for Bnet, thatís when I stop buying any Blizz game. bNet is supposed to be free. And to be honest I donít think it will come to that. With your Wow account bound to Bnet now I canít see how they can double charge you for playing WOW and BNet. To many law suits will come from this. Plus I think WOW will die over night if that happens.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

18. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 16:17 nin

http://www.starcraft-source.com/article/news/view/?id=150

"what I will say is that a player who goes to retail and buys the Starcraft 2 box at retail will have the full Starcraft 2 game included in the box and they will have the ability to play on battlenet with no additional fee."

edit: here ya go:
Blizz response

"The subscription model is mainly for those players that would not be able to afford the European version. This will also give them the option of buying the less expensive game and then afterwards deciding that the game is worth upgrading to the European version and as such they will have access to European as well as the Russian servers. "

Like I outlined below...

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2010, 16:29.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 16:09 peonjohn

rest assured, there will eventually be a subscription fee for battle.net. their heads are completely wrapped around the subscription-based model, because it makes a shitload of money, and who can blame 'em? they are a business.

only thing is they can't charge subscriptions separately for all of their games. it's just not practical. so battle.net is ideal for encompassing other multiplayer games such as starcraft 2 and diablo 3.

im sure there will be plenty of people who will fork over the dough for wow and battle.net and then there are those who will choose one or the other. as for myself, i'll go the battle.net route.

i just hope the pricing will be around $9.99(or less) a month and not the mmo standard of wallet-crippling $14 or $15 a month.

16. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 16:01 DG

Beamer wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 12:57:
All the people swearing up and down they were being discriminated against by Valve for being "smart consumers?"
Well in their defence it clearly was price discrimination.

Kind of like people that don't understand why Africa gets drugs nearly free, subsidized by the prices paid here.
Kind of, but not quite the same thing; for one this can be seen as a quite effective (if involuntary) charitable donation of sorts, whereas subsidising entertainment in a second-world country is a rather less charitable endeavour. Secondly the drugs companies fought this but were forced into it by the WTO.

Not that I'm necessarily against it; Russians getting cheaper games might generate more revenue for a developer and hence lead to more investment in games for me to enjoy. But if any person is being treated less favourably than another it is quite reasonable for them to be sour about it.

15. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 14:53 Ahnteis

I'm not going to worry about it until they announce idiotic plans to do the same in the U.S. I imagine they want to be able to offer it cheaper without actually losing revenue in the long run.

But if they try subscription here, they lost all purchases by me.

14. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 14:44 Dinosaurs

Kezzek wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 14:23:

If you didn't start playing when the game was released, it was just about impossible to get into it because everyone else is so damn good. This is gonna be a thousand times worse in SC2 because everyone has been playing SC1 for a decade, and because of the selective beta that means many players have been playing for months.

That said, yeah, I think most people have played Starcraft.

13. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 14:23 KezClone

12. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 13:56 PHJF

Kind of like people that don't understand why Africa gets drugs nearly free, subsidized by the prices paid here.

Except drugs are not entirely digital, are they?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 13:48 grudgebearer

Yes, because paying a bit extra for your pharmaceutical prescriptions so that that poor people in Africa can get theirs cheaper, is analogous to paying higher prices for a game in America so that Valve can sell the same game cheaper in Thailand and still make a profit.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2010, 14:57.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

10. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 13:37 Creston

And so it begins...

:Kosh:

(we really need a Kosh smiley.)

Creston

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo