Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended

Steam News has word that the ongoing free multiplayer weekend for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be extended through tomorrow at 1:00 pm EDT (10:00 am PDT). Steam users interested in participating can download the game client here, and those interested in trying Steam can download the Steam client here.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 12, 2010, 07:22 Jackplug

I played the freebie and all it did was to remind me about all the reasons why i didnt buy it in the 1st place.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 12, 2010, 05:11 KilrathiAce

Oh god please make it stop! Ejector is damaged I cant escape, burning why oh why!  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

13. A free trial beats nothing. Apr 12, 2010, 02:53 I've Got The News Blues

Creston wrote on Apr 12, 2010, 01:20:
This free weekend is designed to sucker a few more people into buying the game, nothing more.
Actually the only suckers are the people who bought the game sight-unseen without playing the multiplayer first and then discovered they wasted their money because they didn't like it.

These free trials are a great idea so that people can see if they really like a game before they pony up their dough for it, but the trials should really be more flexible so that people can choose their own time to try the game rather than have the developers or publishers pick it. Since systems like Steam can enable and disable a game so easily, there's no reason not to allow a user to pick his own trial days. Valve already tracks each credit card used on an Steam account, so to prevent users from getting multiple trials of a game, Steam could require credit card info to obtain a trial (one trial per card).

12. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 12, 2010, 01:20 Creston

Doc4 wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 17:15:
Is this a bit of a PR move to counter the expensive map pack downloads versus Battlefield's free maps?

PR Release Aug, 2010 "Our product reaches out to a broad demographic and delivers unparalleled game play. We believe customers deserve both high-end additional content at a competitive fee as well as free content like the multiplayer weekend offered in April."

This is a very stupid (or deliberately misleading) argument by them. Their customers are people who have already purchased the game. Those people have exactly zero use for this free weekend, since they can play MP whenever they want.

This free weekend is designed to sucker a few more people into buying the game, nothing more.

Therefore, the only way they have 'rewarded' deserving customers is by releasing a stupidly overpriced map pack.

Creston

11. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 23:20 loomy

holy fucking shit. this game and bfbc2 are rpgs. I had no idea both publishers doubled down on their trinket hunting level up bullshit since the last episodes. can you even tolerate this?

Im not 14, Im not young and stupid enough to play 50 hours in a way I don't like just for the privilege to play the way I do like. 50 hours playing against kids with better guns? I'm not a fucking retard. I'm not playing this shit to build my barbie dreamhouse. I'm playing to kill people and blow shit up. I need real games. I guess I'm not alone because there appear to be 10,000 people playing battlefield 2?

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2010, 01:02.

10. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 23:05 Ant

dubfanatic wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 19:51:
I preloaded it on Wednesday, went to play it on Thursday night and found out I had to preload it again. Screw this, not worth it on my piddly 2mbit connection.
Yeah, that pissed me off. I was wondering why it had to reupdate from 1%. What the frak? I had to download for hours today. It pissed me off. I am so glad I don't have caps. Does anyone know what happened? Bad download?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. I tried it and ... Apr 11, 2010, 23:04 Ant

... It's OK. I think Bad Company 2 (beta) was better in terms of multiplayer because you can blow up buildings, makes holes, etc. I only played MW2 for like ten minutes. I also only tired Headquarter Pro since I didn't care for deathmatch, free for all, etc.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2010, 01:29.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 19:51 dubfanatic

I preloaded it on Wednesday, went to play it on Thursday night and found out I had to preload it again. Screw this, not worth it on my piddly 2mbit connection.

7. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 19:24 ForgedReality

entr0py wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 18:08:
But I did have the same experience as other commentors. Played for a little while; was glad I didn't impulsively spend $60 on this game.
Which is exactly why demos don't exist anymore. They're bad for business. The games industry has adopted a "sucker-them-into-buying-shitty-products" attitude. It's a real shame.

Publishers aren't interested in high quality products; they want one-time purchases that make them a quick buck, and that means releasing demos would hurt their bottom line. I wish they'd give devs the freedom they once had.

6. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 18:08 entr0py

Not very long ago having a PC demo was standard. It served the same purpose of these free weekends, plus they were available any time. And you didn't have to go through Steam to get it.

But I did have the same experience as other commentors. Played for a little while; was glad I didn't impulsively spend $60 on this game.

5. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 17:18 nullability

Sounds like they're just correcting a mistake rather than adding an extension. If it was supposed to end on Sunday then it wouldn't really be a free weekend, would it.  

4. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 17:15 Doc4

Is this a bit of a PR move to counter the expensive map pack downloads versus Battlefield's free maps?

PR Release Aug, 2010 "Our product reaches out to a broad demographic and delivers unparalleled game play. We believe customers deserve both high-end additional content at a competitive fee as well as free content like the multiplayer weekend offered in April."

3. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 17:02 timesten

@tumbler

no thanks. i dont care to play the mw2 free weekend, or the open beta for that rts that is currently offered, or most of the "gift" type weekends that steam offers. the games i buy are the ones i want, the games i dont, i rarely, if ever, even bother with the demo.

i would rather them just sell those "unwanted/need to be given away" type games for 4.99. that way, i can go back to them in between exhausting games i actualy want to play.

2. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 16:06 Tumbler

You should be able to download and play any game on steam for a limited time free. (Like an hour or 2) Limit it however necessary, only 1 time per account, or per ip address, whatever, but it makes no sense to have so much blind buying with a service like this.

After playing the game 5 min it was obvious I didn't want to pay any money for it. And since so many pc games lock you into ownership this is a huge obstacle for even considering a purchase of a pc game.

So please blaze a trail for pc gaming and make this type of thing standard. Would be great to log into steam and think, "what would I like to try today?" rather than "what is cheap enough to risk my money on?"

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Extended Apr 11, 2010, 16:06 Rilcon

This thing added itself to my games library and I can't figure out how to remove it. It's visually offensive, and I can't see other game demos I don't have installed or ever shown an interest for added there.

I am most displeased. I think I shall write a formal complaint, then delete it. Or maybe save it as a draft. Maybe.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo