Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top-Sellers

Here's the new list of 10 bestselling titles on Steam for the week:

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  3. Mount & Blade: Warband
  4. Just Cause 2
  5. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
  6. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - Gold Edition
  7. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising
  8. Plain Sight
  9. Counter-Strike: Source
  10. Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 10:30 ASeven

We can actually know if the DRM affected sales, when Ubisoft releases it's fourth quarter financial statement. That'll tell everyone if the games sold or not.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 07:56 Prez

I'm surprised no one mentioned the irony of the game that is beating The Settlers on that list - Just Cause 2, which does NOT require a constant internet connection and is predominantly single player. Yep, those filthy pirates.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

14. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 07:39 MTechnik

Kabuto wrote on Apr 12, 2010, 06:59:
That makes as much sense as if I claimed the lack of AC2 and SH4 on the list proves people won't buy games with intrusive DRM.

What affect Ubisoft's decision to include such draconian DRM has had on sales is only known by those with access to total sales numbers and pre-release sales projections. Even then, it is difficult to factor why any product does better or worse than projections.

No, no... Everyone is pirating SH4 and AC2, which is why it isn't on the best seller list, thus the need for Ubi DRM. hee hee, can't help it

13. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 06:59 Kabuto

That makes as much sense as if I claimed the lack of AC2 and SH4 on the list proves people won't buy games with intrusive DRM.

What affect Ubisoft's decision to include such draconian DRM has had on sales is only known by those with access to total sales numbers and pre-release sales projections. Even then, it is difficult to factor why any product does better or worse than projections.

12. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 05:42 osage no onna

GunSpeed wrote on Apr 12, 2010, 02:04:
Couldn't agree more.

I am with DRM to counter pirating, but I am against it when only when it pause my enjoyment of the game, and that's like 1% chance as you said.

That may be the case right now when the game has just launched, but a couple of years down the line it might be 100% of the time. They have no obligation to keep the DRM servers online indefinitely or patch it away, and I sure as hell won't count on them to do so. I still regularly play games from the 90's, so I have a hard time accepting the attempt to turn games into throwaway commodities, which it kinda feels like.

11. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 04:02 HappyWulf

Very happy to see Plain Sight on there. It's such a blast, I even got my own dedicated server for it (Gamer Furs - Steam Group)
It's also nice to see M&B on there. I need to put some more time into that, but PS, Fallen Earth, BFBC2, LoL, and AI War are taking up all my time... And Mass Effect 2 begs to be finished.

10. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 03:17 Prez

Anyone try Lead and Gold? Looks interesting.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

9. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 02:04 GunSpeed

Couldn't agree more.

I am with DRM to counter pirating, but I am against it when only when it pause my enjoyment of the game, and that's like 1% chance as you said.

8. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 01:57 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 16:51:
Apparently DRM isn't keeping people from buying Ubisoft's Settlers 7. Disappointing. Every sale tells Ubisoft they were right./

Are you really surprised? Other than a few hardcore folks on the Internet, no one really cares about DRM enough to bypass games they feel they will otherwise enjoy.

Even with this DRM, 99% of the time they are going to be able to play their game with no troubles. If they don't buy the game, they won't get to play it at all.

It's one of the reasons complaining about DRM is so futile. In a business where the only real feedback is sales numbers, the people who are hardcore opposed to DRM just don't number high enough to make a difference.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 12, 2010, 01:05 Xirix

Warband needs more servers for online play..I can't remember I had this much fun since Quake. In some way it reminds me of RUNE.  

6. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 11, 2010, 18:03 SpectralMeat

I am thinking about getting Chaos Rising, just finished the original DOW2 campaign. Not a big online MP gamer when it comes to strategy games, I wonder if it's still worth getting the expansion or if it is more of a MP focused pack.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 11, 2010, 17:08 PropheT

Wow, it's cool to see Warband doing that well.  

4. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 11, 2010, 16:51 Mr. Tact

Apparently DRM isn't keeping people from buying Ubisoft's Settlers 7. Disappointing. Every sale tells Ubisoft they were right./  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 11, 2010, 15:44 xXBatmanXx

Ban hammer smack down on CSS last week?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 11, 2010, 15:27 ASeven

3 Indie games there, Warband, Lead&Gold and Plain Sight. And I'm actually quite happy to see them there.  

1. Re: Steam Top-Sellers Apr 11, 2010, 15:10 Bucky

I'll wait for Just Cause 2 to go on sale--I've spent some time with the demo and while I'm impressed I can see myself getting bored.

Plain Sight keeps stealing hours at a time on me, though.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo