Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve"

Eurogamer has a response from Ubisoft to questions about future plans for their online DRM, which they call their "online services platform," indicating they hope to improve the scheme, but not eliminate it, in spite of users' worst fears coming true about its online requirement causing all sorts of problems in the short time since it was implemented. "Most forthcoming Ubisoft PC titles will use our online services platform," a Ubisoft spokesperson explained. "As with any online technology, we are constantly working to evolve and improve it."

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve" Apr 16, 2010, 16:21 Verno

I never thought for a second that AC2 would sell badly on PC.

Why not? Advertising campaigns for AC2 ended long ago and the consoles were playing it 7 months prior. In fact there was few reasons to think that the AC2 -would- sell on the PC.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 21:37 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 19:36:
And by the way, I've yet to hear this DRM has been hacked. All there is out there is anecdotal evidence from a bunch of people who are known to be lying, thieving, boasting arseholes who enjoy nothing more than stealing from software developers.

Although the protection hasn't officially been cracked, there is now an authentication server emulator for AC2 that tricks the game into thinking it's connecting to Ubisoft. There are claims that it works 100% now (previously, many side missions wouldn't work), though I haven't verified that myself.

From what I'm seeing on scene release sites, they managed to make the emulator pretty much complete. This was quite recent though. They pretty much had to play through the whole game and grab the stuff that Ubi was keeping on the server side(from what I understand).

Interestingly, there were a lot of people willing to wait for the workaround to be complete.

I just find the whole thing so pointless. I never thought for a second that AC2 would sell badly on PC. And I doubt that this DRM had anything to do with that fact.

If people think your game is good, the people who would normally buy games will buy them. That's not rocket science.

How many times do studios like Bioware and Valve have to prove this to be the case before people catch on? If you make a shitty game, it's going to sell less regardless of pirates.

If the last POP game was so well done, why are Ubi going back to the old school hero from the Sands of Time trilogy? Answer: The new POP wasn't all that.

Piracy has never made or broken a PC game or stopped it from being successful. The developers and publishers do that with their design decisions.

80. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve" Apr 11, 2010, 19:51 ForgedReality

I think it's fucking awesome that you don't even need to crack AC2. That bit them in the ass, didn't it? I guess I can still say I was right when I said that game would never be cracked.  

79. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 19:36 Jerykk

And by the way, I've yet to hear this DRM has been hacked. All there is out there is anecdotal evidence from a bunch of people who are known to be lying, thieving, boasting arseholes who enjoy nothing more than stealing from software developers.

Although the protection hasn't officially been cracked, there is now an authentication server emulator for AC2 that tricks the game into thinking it's connecting to Ubisoft. There are claims that it works 100% now (previously, many side missions wouldn't work), though I haven't verified that myself.

78. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 19:11 PHJF

Times change. The world changes.

Basic consumer rights do not change. I don't care if I'm buying a roll of masking tape or a digital copy of a movie, there are acceptable lengths to which businesses can go to protect their products and there are methods which go too far. UbiDRM is one of the latter.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

77. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 17:52 Donkey_Punch

Bhruic wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 20:20:
if they do intend to build on it and make it some sort of "services platform", then 5-10 years from now, who knows, maybe people are singing its praises.

This is UBI remember. It will always be poorly designed and filled with bugs.

76. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 17:39 Richteralan

BobBob wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 14:41:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_voting

You know, with this dollar voting,
those companies can still bitch about piracy, since piracy will not go away.
Then they can enforce even more radical DRM to gamers who bought the game..
and then dollar voting
...and so on

see the never ending loop here?

75. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 16:31 Talisorn

Reactor wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 09:35:
ROFLMAO @

Congratulations on your 12th birthday.

So. I'm pretty safe in saying that I was gaming well before you were an itch in your daddy's crotch. When it comes to the evolution of gaming, I've seen it all. Revolution? Resistance? Stop kidding yourselves. This is one more move down the line. When it becomes the norm (and it will eventually), are you going to stop gaming? The concept is simply ahead of it's time. When broadband and wireless connections become the norm and you can become connected from anywhere then this type of DRM will become the norm. Accept it.

You don't like it? So be it. There are lots of things to not like about it. The always on part is not ideal. The cloud saves are. No having to go hunting for disks is as well. The DRM simply needs to evolve into something that gives more than it takes. Most people hate it because they believe it gives them less than it "takes" (not that it takes anything really).

And by the way, I've yet to hear this DRM has been hacked. All there is out there is anecdotal evidence from a bunch of people who are known to be lying, thieving, boasting arseholes who enjoy nothing more than stealing from software developers. Pirates are the new revolution? Send them to the gallows, just like the good old days! (That last part was a joke, by the way).

Times change. The world changes. How many of you were bitterly complaining about Steam when it started doing it's thing? In ten years time, you'll all be wondering why you were all spouting such shit.

EDIT: That said (in a rather provocative manner I'll admit, but no less heartfelt), I can at least respect your stance if you don't like it. It's a shame that the rest of you can't seem respect a position that is polar opposite to your own.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2010, 17:14.

74. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 16:12 Tumbler

Is there a place where you can get what DRM a game use's ? I've been so turned off by DRM I've only played my older games like Icewind dale , Battle Zone , and brought a few games form Good Old Games ( or GOG ) .

LOL, when I read this it sounds like you are hoping to add this new DRM to your old games! HA! That should actually be a test of if a feature you're adding is a good idea. Will people want it on the older version of the software?

Like that side screen auto sizing thing in windows 7, when you move a window to the side it automatically resizes to be half the screen size. That is a good feature. Adding an always on authentication check that stops users from using their software would be probably not be a feature people would want on older versions.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

73. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 16:03 trashcan

Is there a place where you can get what DRM a game use's ? I've been so turned off by DRM I've only played my older games like Icewind dale , Battle Zone , and brought a few games form Good Old Games ( or GOG ) .  

71. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 14:40 Tumbler

Guys, just because a game came to console first, that does not mean it was a console port. Fucking idiots. Don't you know that big releases are delayed releases on PC intentionally? Don't assume that because your buddy played it on Xbox that it's the same game on PC.

I hope that is sarcasm...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

70. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 14:11 ASeven

Prez, if I were living in your town I'd buy you a god damn beer! Well said!  

69. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve" Apr 11, 2010, 14:02 ForgedReality

Guys, just because a game came to console first, that does not mean it was a console port. Fucking idiots. Don't you know that big releases are delayed releases on PC intentionally? Don't assume that because your buddy played it on Xbox that it's the same game on PC.  

68. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 13:39 Prez

The something "works perfectly for me, so NA NA!!" response is more boneheaded than just that it indicates willful ignorance of issues experienced by others, though it is in and of itself a pretty asinine concept. Beyond that, it's tantamount to putting one's head in the sand to deliberately not see the completely unreasonable, unnecessary, arbitrary, and utterly disrespectful extra points of failure that WILL eventually cause problems for you. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually you WILL be unable to play your legally paid for game because of this. If the "why" of it had any value to it whatsoever, I could see that being tolerable, but there is no good reason. This is NOT an acceptable inconvenience just because piracy exists. A constant internet connection to play a single player game. Holy Christ - where do you draw the line? I mean, is there anyone who lacks the intellectual ability to comprehend just how wrong that is if they really stop to think about it? Should Ubisoft send a representative to your house to slap you across the face just in case you might have pirated their game otherwise, would you rationalize that away as well saying "but the game is so good!"? If you are willing to accept any and all of the mandates that display the height of disrespect and disdain for the consumer that a company wants to foist upon you, then that's your business. But don't you dare act all high and mighty and look down your nose at those of us who will not rationalize it because you are so 'enlightened' and superior as to have been able to convince yourself that this is no big deal. Just because your ability for self-delusion exceeds that of a rational person doesn't mean that we have to drink the Kool-Aid.

This is usually the point in the discussion where some idiot comes in and says something like "Jesus dude, they are just games; lighten up! We aren't talking about life-saving medicines here!" To that I say fair enough; but get the hell out of the discussion then. If all you can do is point out self-evident concepts to deliberately derail the discussion and illustrate that you really have no counter to the logic used by the non-rationalizing people among us, then better for you to just sit it out and play your game (if Ubisoft's servers are currently up, and iff your ISP isn't experiencing trouble, etc,etc).

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2010, 14:21.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

67. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 12:56 Kajetan

tuddies wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 11:31:
WHO in their RIGHT MIND actually applauds this horrific DRM?
People, who will gladly sell their grandmothers soul, just to play this hot new game.

66. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 11:31 tuddies

WHO in their RIGHT MIND actually applauds this horrific DRM? Anyway, it has been defeated thanks to hackers who are more of a benefit to the gameplay experience than Ubishaft.

65. Re: So their DRM will evolve, eh? Apr 11, 2010, 11:12 BobBob

Lokust wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 10:46:
Fortunately my list of game companies I'll buy products from has already 'evolved' to not include Ubisoft.

Agreed.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

64. So their DRM will evolve, eh? Apr 11, 2010, 10:46 Lokust

Fortunately my list of game companies I'll buy products from has already 'evolved' to not include Ubisoft.  

63. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will Apr 11, 2010, 10:08 Marvin T. Martian

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 11, 2010, 03:04:
The Ghost Recon and Assassin Creed games are NOT ports of the console versions. As for the others I couldn't tell you.

Ghost Recon may not have been a port, but the effects of wanting to please the console players it played like a console game-so many may have assumed it was a port. It wasn't true to it's PC roots and destroyed the franchise for many. Ditto for Rainbow, starting with Lockdown and continued with it's various reincarnations in Vegas--another legacy ruined. It really doesn't matter if it was a direct port or not great games have been dumbed down and the PC capabilities for more control options taken away. Hell, I won't even get into that console mess called Blazing Angels that they passed off on the PC community.

As for their DRM--too much and it is flawed--UBI even gave away free games to those affected by their draconian measures. Which would indicate to me they are quite aware of the problems. They even tried to pass it of as a DOS attack--right.

As I and many others have said--It's time for UBI to get out of the PC market

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo