Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WAR Over-Billing Follow-up

The Warhammer Herald has a follow-up on how Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning customers have been overbilled for their subscriptions (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Word is: "As of now we have received confirmation that the charges have been reversed. Depending on your financial institution and when they deposit the refunded charges back to your account it may take up to 3 business days for this refund to be reflected in your statement. To ensure a fast resolution we recommend you contact your financial institution first. For additional information on what you can do and how to seek additional assistance see this post."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 18:20 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 14:00:
I just hope that, if it did happen... there's no way it could affect my credit score in the long run.
Depends if you use a debit card or credit card. If its credit card, it shouldn't. If its debit card, it can if it causes you to miss bills/payments if the account its hooked to is emptied.

However with 6 years & changing CCs you are fine probably. If you are concerned just do a quick check.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2010, 06:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 14:00 wtf_man

Well... I haven't had a Mythic account in several years (like 6 years).

Also, Any CC# they have on file has long expired.
Also, All my accounts were changed 2 years ago due to CC# theft.

So, technically they really couldn't get any money from me, but I would have no way of knowing if they tried to tap my old accounts.

I just hope that, if it did happen... there's no way it could affect my credit score in the long run.

I think I'm safe, though.

18. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 13:21 eRe4s3r

No, thats why they caused users who have already said goodbye to also cry out. Its equal "getting falsely billed "rights for everyone, even non-subscribers!  

17. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 13:06 OldScho0l

TheDrifter73 wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 04:54:
Dev wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 04:24:
Also, this has been going on since march 23rd at least (thats the earliest report in forum of the transaction dates) and new charges have been added up through this week.

So apparently mythic has been asleep at the switch and letting this happen for TWO WEEKS. Seems it took a huge customer outcry for them to do anything, rather than keeping an eye on thier billing system.

Huge customer out cry?
Do they still even HAVE enough customers to have a huge outcry?

LMAO!!!

16. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 12:25 ASeven

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 11:20:
On topic: Atleast Mythic is going down in style.

Unfortunately it may bring innocent people down with them as some banks are refusing to waive the overdraft fees, which for some people is a huge sum of money.

This is actually serious business here, EA and the charging company may be in a world of hurt and this may result in a class action suit. People's money are involved and when someone mess with your money people tend to get a bit angry about that.

15. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 11:20 Eldaron Imotholin

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 07:14:
Can't they get a bank giro account? When i got mine the only thing i had to do was fill it with 250 and its 0 fee, 0 cost, low interest. Or is that a German unique thing? I just don't get why anyone sane would use credit or debit cards at all.

'tis not a German unique thing. Maybe a Europe unique thing? Not sure. All I know is that I, too, use a bank giro account (The Netherlands).

On topic: Atleast Mythic is going down in style.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

14. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 09:19 ASeven

Good grief, this is awful and may affect people who are close to their credit card limits. There are reports of people now having real problems with their banks due to this mess.

As someone said, everyone who is or was once a client on this game should check their financial statements ASAP. This has the potential to really mess up a person's life. Overcharging is a serious matter and I wouldn't be surprised to see some lawsuits resulting from this.

13. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 07:14 eRe4s3r

Can't they get a bank giro account? When i got mine the only thing i had to do was fill it with 250 and its 0 fee, 0 cost, low interest. Or is that a German unique thing? I just don't get why anyone sane would use credit or debit cards at all.  

12. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 06:59 Dev

TheDrifter73 wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 04:54:
Huge customer out cry?
Huge in terms of percentage of what customers they do have still remaining.
Keep in mind too, that people who did trial accounts and canceled accounts months or more ago (I saw one report from a guy who canceled over a year ago) are ALSO getting charged and accounts reactivating. So even if they don't currently have many customers, they are also doing this to previous customers too. They also haven't mentioned that they are going back and deactivating canceled accounts, so that means that a bunch of previous customers who thought they were done with the game are going to start getting hit with $15 a month even if they didn't get hit with a bunch of charges at once.

Also, the customer service line has been telling people who call "you aren't the only one having this problem" and to call back in a few days.

11. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 04:54 .Drifter

Dev wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 04:24:
Also, this has been going on since march 23rd at least (thats the earliest report in forum of the transaction dates) and new charges have been added up through this week.

So apparently mythic has been asleep at the switch and letting this happen for TWO WEEKS. Seems it took a huge customer outcry for them to do anything, rather than keeping an eye on thier billing system.

Huge customer out cry?

10. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 04:24 Dev

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2010, 04:44.

9. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 04:18 NKD

Dev wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 04:06:
The only thing thats better about debit cards is that they are better for people who have difficulty controlling spending.

Or people who can't get credit cards with reasonable limits, or at all.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 04:13 Dev

BTW, I'll repeat the warning I said in the other thread. Mythic has also been doing this to inactive and canceled accounts (even ones months or a year ago), and even TRIAL accounts (since its required give your card number to sign up as many MMOs require).

If you have had ANY connection to these games in past or present, check your financial statements ASAP

The faster someone catches this the better off they are.

Oh also, since they are rebilling inactive/canceled/trial accounts that means they are getting activated again. So at minimum it means monthly $15 payments in the future even if someone didn't get 63 charges.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2010, 04:20.

7. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 04:06 Dev

NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 03:19:
Incorrect. Activity is not reported to the credit bureaus in real time. It's usually 3 to 6 months, 1 month at the fastest. If addressed in a timely manner, a persons credit report will not be affected. A one or two day malfunction is not going to impact anyone's credit score. If they dicked people around for a week or a month, then yeah there'd be something more serious to bitch about.
And guess who is going to screw people around? The banks. Its EXTREMELY unlikely that mythic will reimburse people's overdraft fees (many people had more in overdraft at $30 a pop than the game charges, one guy had $1000 of mythic charges and $1000 of overdraft). Especially since this has apparently happened before and mythic said screw you and didn't refund any fees (it boggles the mind that this isn't the first time and mythic didn't fix this). So the banks will have to be convinced by the customer to give up the fees (and yes some banks are nice and take them off when the customer get the refund, but others are jerks and won't take them off), which could take lots of time or legal action, and could take months.
International customers are even more screwed with mythic requiring long distance calls (skype was suggested in one thread).

BTW, this is a prime example of why you never use debit cards online (or else get a secondary bank account with that you can use with a differant debit card that you use that doesn't have your home/car/etc payments on it and doesn't have as much in the bank). Tons of people here got overdrawn, fees pile up, mortgage and bills bounce, and not enough to get groceries for the week, and credit starts getting hit.
Far far better to use credit cards online where the credit card company tells you not to pay that part of the bill, instead of the money being missing from your bank account and bank not wanting to give it up. The only thing thats better about debit cards is that they are better for people who have difficulty controlling spending.

Edit: As a reply pointed out debit cards are sometimes the only choice if you can't get credit cards. In that case I would suggest you get 2 debit cards from 2 banks, one for online purchases, and one for everything else.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2010, 04:38.

6. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 03:44 eRe4s3r

Actually Mythics BBB reputation is the lowest possible - http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=y&compid=23005882 Not sure what vendor they use.

Ok, you are right though - still its unbelievable that this can happen 2 times in a row. The first time people where billed up to 100 times. However, if something monthly fixed bounces your credit rating might not suffer, but you will get a lot of very funny fees which no bank will refund. And if these are caused by Mythic then that is Damage - damage they need to refund.

5. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 03:19 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 10, 2010, 02:53:
And sorry, but erroneous billing is not just a minor inconvenience, if further unrelated payments bounce it will directly influence your credit rating. And that is real, tangible monetary DAMAGE.

Incorrect. Activity is not reported to the credit bureaus in real time. It's usually 3 to 6 months, 1 month at the fastest. If addressed in a timely manner, a persons credit report will not be affected. A one or two day malfunction is not going to impact anyone's credit score. If they dicked people around for a week or a month, then yeah there'd be something more serious to bitch about.

But the way I see it, something went tits up, and they are doing what they can to fix it. I'm sure they use a processor with a solid reputation. So long as they aren't having some shady company in China do their credit card processing, I'm not sure what else we can expect from them.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 02:53 eRe4s3r

So? Toyota doesn't build brake parts themselves, yet its still their fault when their cars accelerate unwanted because of 1 single piece of erroneous hardware, hardware they never, at any point, built themselves.

Same here, the blame game points at Mythic because they choose that vendor. Ok you say, that is bad luck and theres not much to blame, if this were the first time. But...

Mythic is 100% to blame for this 2nd incident, because it is, and now get this. the SECOND TIME this happened.

And sorry, but erroneous billing is not just a minor inconvenience, if further unrelated payments bounce it will directly influence your credit rating. And that is real, tangible monetary DAMAGE.

3. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 02:27 NKD

Mythic probably doesn't do their own credit card processing. Likely a technical fubar over at their credit card processor.  

2. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 02:04 AnarKane

Horizons 2.0?  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

1. Re: WAR Over-Billing Follow-up Apr 10, 2010, 02:04 Trevellian

I personally got hit by this.

I got charged 10x 14.00.

Thanks Mythic. Part that pisses me off the most? My Subscription has been canceled for like a year. Someone really screwed the pooch on this one.

I've heard of someone else who also had a canceled account getting charged 22x. And a guy who owns multiple accounts getting charged over 5000 dollars because of it.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo