Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces F.E.A.R. 3, saying the next installment in the horror-themed shooter series originated by Monolith is due on PC and Xbox 360 this autumn. Monolith is not involved this time around, as the game is in the hands of Day 1 Studios, who collaborated with Monolith on the F.E.A.R. console ports. They announce the game will stress co-operative multiplayer play, and that it is featuring contributions of a pair of Hollywood horror experts, director John Carpenter (Halloween) who provided expertise for in-game cinematics and writer Steve Niles (30 Days of Night), who co-wrote the game script with the development team and John Carpenter.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 17:31 Nucas

this sounds so awful it can't be real, but it's not april 1st.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 12:14 Kxmode

F.E.A.R. 3 7|-|!$ F4LL!  

35. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 07:24 KilrathiAce

co-op? I am excited.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

34. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 05:23 InBlack

The Good News:

John Carpenter is attached to the story/game.

The Bad News:

John Carpenter is attached to the story/game.

Unfortunately You can never tell what that guy is gonna come up with. I mean he's got brilliant films under his belt, like The Thing or Halloween and then youve got horrible trash like Ghosts of Mars

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2010, 05:32.

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 04:20 Eldaron Imotholin

Jerykk wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 23:44:

Uh oh. Cover system? So now instead of being able to lean and crouch whenever I want, I can only do it when standing behind objects specifically flagged as cover? Awesome! And if they're talking about a third-person cover system, they might as well make the whole game third-person.

Indeed. What's with these ppl mindblankingly repeating the delusional hypes that the "cover systems" of today are a good thing? Everytime you take cover it's like typing /godmode in the console.

As for weather FEAR 1 or 2 is scarier.. it's a useless debate if you ask me because they both simply weren't except for the school part with the ghosts in FEAR 2. And although "Alma doesn't give a shit if you're armed with the BFG and can kick harder than Liu Kang".. you also knew Alma couldn't hurt you even if you wanted her to hurt you, because it was all a scripted bunch of bullshit.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

32. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 03:21 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 23:07:
On another note, I hope Monolith's lack of involvement means they are working on something new... or at least a much-anticipated sequel to something old, like Blood or NOLF.
You dont really want a sequel to NOLF2 or Blood if its going to be a console port anyways.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

31. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 03:06 Niezly Czad

Jack Burton also says: It's all in the reflexes.  

30. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 02:27 Jerykk

So, again, arguing what games are scarier is utterly pointless. There's no right answer.

Except there is a right answer. All horror films (regardless of culture) require vulnerable characters. If the protagonist could kick the ass of the ghost/killer/monster, there would be no horror. There would just be action.

If a game arms you to the teeth, you don't feel vulnerable. You know that if you encounter an enemy, you will defeat it with relative ease. There's still the uncertainty of when or where the enemies will appear but that fear is largely nullified by the relative lack of threat they represent. The ghosts in FEAR 2 were the only scary enemy because they could pop up anywhere and could kill you pretty easily. Same applies to the mutant monkeys in Far Cry which could kill you in two hits (one hit if you didn't have any armor).

Vulnerability is a key part of horror. You can have a creepy atmosphere but if the player doesn't feel vulnerable, they won't be scared.

29. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 02:18 Acleacius

Lol, a cover system. Here's to cliffy destroying another game's gameplay. Nothing like turning a 3D Shooter into a 2D shooting gallery.

Hey I know, why don't you name it Mad Dog Macree or what was that 2D zombie game we used to play in Dave & Busters back in the 1990s.

Thanks for setting gaming back 15 years cliffy destroyer of Coop and now 3D gameplay.

Hey who knows maybe your next super cool design will actually force people into 1D gaming, you should be proud. You could always take another giant dump on the Unreal franchise.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

28. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 02:14 NKD

Arguing about whether something is scary or not is pretty damn pointless. A persons culture and their own personal fears figure into it more than anything. Look at Japanese horror movies, almost no use of darkness to enhance somethings scariness. The Japanese just don't tend to be afraid of the dark, so there's no point.

They'd probably look at an American movie or game and go "WTF? How am I supposed to be scared if I can't even see what's going on?"

On the same token, I find there's a fine line between scary and funny sometimes. Often movies use unnaturally fast or jerky movement to make something seem less human and more otherworldly, and to highlight the fact that running won't do any good.

But I have a couple friends (who I no longer view horror movies with) who can't help but bust out laughing whenever something moves around funny like that.

So, again, arguing what games are scarier is utterly pointless. There's no right answer.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

27. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 00:43 Jerykk

i would love to see another NOLF game but isnt the IP in copyright limbo?

Sierra used to own it, then Vivendi bought Sierra and now Vivendi is merged with Activision. So basically, we're never going to see NOLF3.

26. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 9, 2010, 00:40 zirik

Perseus Mandate?

On another note, I hope Monolith's lack of involvement means they are working on something new... or at least a much-anticipated sequel to something old, like Blood or NOLF.

i would love to see another NOLF game but isnt the IP in copyright limbo?

25. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 23:44 Jerykk

Alma doesn't give a shit if you're armed with the BFG and can kick harder than Liu Kang.

Unfortunately, you encounter Alma like, what, 10 times combined in both FEAR and FEAR 2? Everyone else is a generic grunt, mutant or robot that you promptly blow up.

Shooters and horror don't really mix. Sure, you can have poorly lit areas and lots of gore and blood and sinister music but in the end, the player must feel empowered because that's the fundamental appeal of shooters. Conversely, horror relies on players feeling vulnerable and helpless. The school in FEAR 2 was only creepy because you felt vulnerable against the ghosts. As soon as you faced the regular enemies, all creepiness disappeared.

Penumbra and Amnesia = horror.
FEAR, Dead Space, Resident Evil 5, etc = shooter.

Players can look forward to new features such as divergent co-op, an evolved cover system, and more scares in F.E.A.R. 3.

Uh oh. Cover system? So now instead of being able to lean and crouch whenever I want, I can only do it when standing behind objects specifically flagged as cover? Awesome! And if they're talking about a third-person cover system, they might as well make the whole game third-person.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2010, 00:25.

24. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 23:31 Linksil

They might do something good like make a different storyline for the CO op part. Like single player is all scary by yourself and co op is the the team that your trying to meet up with just kicking ass and taking names. Then at the end the two teams meet up so the storylines from both make sense... Oh wait what am I talking about story making sense in a FPS, along with an old idea that just never been done right.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

23. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 23:14 Yifes

Agreed, though I don't really see how a shooter can be scary. Being armed to the teeth and able to do flying bicycle kicks in slow-motion is not conducive to being scared.

Alma doesn't give a shit if you're armed with the BFG and can kick harder than Liu Kang.

22. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 23:12 Creston

FEAR 2 was about 18000 times better than Project Daedalus, or whatever it was called...

Perseus Mandate?

I don't want co-operative multiplayer in FEAR. I want a scary, single-player shooter. You cannot do scary in a co-op game.

Agreed, though I don't really see how a shooter can be scary. Being armed to the teeth and able to do flying bicycle kicks in slow-motion is not conducive to being scared.

Yeah, Perseus Mandate. Thanks.

And okay, we can argue over whether FEAR was really scary, or maybe just tense, and that's going to vary for most people. There were parts in FEAR2 I found fairly hair-raising (like the school.)

If you add another player, that tension/fear is going to go right out the door. So it'll likely wind up being FEAR in name only, and have little to nothing to do with the original(s).

Creston

21. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 23:07 Jerykk

FEAR 2 was about 18000 times better than Project Daedalus, or whatever it was called...

Perseus Mandate?

I don't want co-operative multiplayer in FEAR. I want a scary, single-player shooter. You cannot do scary in a co-op game.

20. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 23:03 Creston

NKD wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 22:43:
Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 22:29:
- Monolith not involved. Never heard of Day 1 Studios. The last time a FEAR title was outsourced, it turned out pretty damn crappy.

The last time Monolith did a FEAR title it turned out pretty damn crappy too.

FEAR 2 was about 18000 times better than Project Daedalus Perseus Mandate (thanks Jerykk).

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2010, 23:10.

19. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 22:44 ASeven

Well, FEAR MP is still available for free and anyone can get it.

So that's good news.

18. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 This Fall Apr 8, 2010, 22:43 NKD

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2010, 22:29:
- Monolith not involved. Never heard of Day 1 Studios. The last time a FEAR title was outsourced, it turned out pretty damn crappy.

The last time Monolith did a FEAR title it turned out pretty damn crappy too.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo