Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New BC2 Server

The Battlefield Blog announces that a new version R9 PC server for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is now in the hands of their server provider partners. This forum post is hosting discussion of the new version, and the change list follows.

• admin.say command implemented
    - the output currently looks a bit funky on the game client, like so: Player: [Server]: <text> but with the next game client it will look like: Server: <text>
  • admin.yell to squad has changed (you need to specify both team and squad)
  • squad numbering has changed – the “no squad” squad has ID 0, and real squads are 1 and up.
  • Autobalance improved, it shuffles people both during and between rounds now, and does a better job
    - Currently there is no way to turn it off
  • mapList* commands reworked
  • banList* commands reworked
  • listPlayers command added
  • admin.listPlayers command reworked (GUID, kills, deaths, ping and score added)
  • Players have non-PB GUIDs now (these are distinct from PB GUIDs)
  • onChat event reworked
    - now it specifies target player subset as well
    - shows text before profanity filtering
    - client-originated chat messages starting with “/” make it to the server, and broadcast via onChat, but are not broadcast to other game clients
    - use “/!<command>” if you want to be able to send commands to your homemade rcon tools without showing the commands to other players
  • player.onAuthenticated added (it’s triggered when a player receives GUID)
  • player.onSquadChange, player.onTeamChange implemented
  • Couple of crash fixes
  • Support for server-side “region” setting (not yet used by the game client)
  • Ranked ON forces game-password OFF
  • Ranked and PunkBuster settings can only be changed during server startup
  • A server is marked as "hardcore" either when Friendly Fire is enabled, or when all the typical hardcore settings (hardcore killcam minimap etc) have been flipped
  • exposed number of rounds per maps in maplist.txt, and via the remote admin commands

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: New BC2 Server Apr 9, 2010, 14:49 BobBob

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Apr 9, 2010, 11:00:
Wow you guys are harsh. Be happy we have dedicated servers at all.

Be thankful we now have bread and water, even though we used to have pizza and beer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: New BC2 Server Apr 9, 2010, 14:04 merc248

I can tell you that while some of this stuff is great for server admins (especially admin.say and autobalance improvements), some of them just absolutely suck:

1. FF on = hardcore bit turns on for EA master servers. NO, it's not hardcore. Before R9, hardcore = increased bullet damage, FF on, no minimap, no crosshairs. This will make it much harder for players to find actual hardcore servers.

2. PB cannot be toggled on or off during gameplay. Now, this is okay in most circumstances, because I'd rather have PB on until I decide to restart the server to flip it off. However, there's a well known "hack" that server admins have to rely on in order to get more players in their servers, and that is setting vars.punkBuster to "false" (here's the kicker: while the server is running, if you set it to false, PB still stays on but the server advertises to the master server that PB is off.) Why does this matter? Because there's also a known bug in the client where if you search for a server and turn on the Punkbuster filter, players are actually finding PB _OFF_ servers, whereas if you turned off the filter, you're finding PB _ON_ servers.

This sucks if you want a lot of people in your server.

Since the R9 patch came out, my server has been completely empty; I haven't seen a single soul come into my server due to the combination of the client filter bug and DICE disallowing server admins from flipping the vars.punkBuster switch during gameplay.

DICE should've released a client patch a long time ago before introducing these new features server-side.

4. Re: New BC2 Server Apr 9, 2010, 11:00 Diabolus in Musica

Wow you guys are harsh. Be happy we have dedicated servers at all. The way this is going BF3 will be console only. Then you can turn on the wambulance full blast.  

3. Re: New BC2 Server Apr 9, 2010, 02:49 BobBob

Pointless if the public at large simply can't run it. Zzz...  

2. Re: New BC2 Server Apr 9, 2010, 02:05 KilrathiAce

So how about release this dedicated server package? oh wait I forgot, that would be "free" that doesn't compute with EA.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

1. Re: New BC2 Server Apr 8, 2010, 20:54 Paketep

Those are the wrong hands.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo