Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend

Steam News announces plans to kick off a free weekend for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 starting tomorrow, saying those interested in participating can preload the military shooter sequel right now. The preload can be started through this link, and word is: "There is no obligation to participate."

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

30. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 19:15 Nameless Again

$30? Jumped on that and humped it like a dog. Ordered.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 16:32 SpectralMeat

zirik wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 16:24:
WinterMadness wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 10:42:
Got BFBC2 for $30 bucks with a $20 off coupon for the EA store. Not going to pay console game prices for a PC game....

care to share that coupon with me? or is it a one time use only through email?

http://eastore.ea.com/
code is : PAXEAST842

It expires on the 9th of April.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 16:29 I've Got The News Blues

The code is PAXEAST842 . I think it expires tomorrow.

Go to http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/cat/pc-games/categoryID.8831900 to use it.

27. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 16:24 zirik

WinterMadness wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 10:42:
Got BFBC2 for $30 bucks with a $20 off coupon for the EA store. Not going to pay console game prices for a PC game....

care to share that coupon with me? or is it a one time use only through email?

26. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 16:12 Elessar

Bumpy wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 11:34:
No single player for free so not interested. I'd rather pay for and support Bad Company 2.
Not a very intelligent post/mentality. You'll find yourself "not interested" in many things, because many things of substance aren't free.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

25. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 15:20 Undocumented Alien

The lag allows people to exploit Marathon/Commando/Lightweight and run around and knife everyone without you being able to do much about it.

Yep, this is a pretty bad problem with MW2 right now. Got me and my gaming group to move from MW2 to BFBC2. We are having much more fun now.

24. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 15:18 nin

Gogamer MW2 PC @ $49.90

Not that it makes it a bargain or anything.

Yeah, I think I paid $40 on amazon for the 360 version and still feel ripped off...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 15:14 DangerDog

Did anyone else notice this game costs $59.99 not $49.99 like every other PC games? I will not bother buying this game. Wanted to try the free weekend but the download seem to be all bugged.

Gogamer MW2 PC @ $49.90

Not that it makes it a bargain or anything.

22. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 14:19 Ant

bjack wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 13:24:
Preloading this is a phantom operation. You don't get ANY indication but yes it will download. Check your under your steam folders and you can see it expanding.
I will check again later since I turned the PC off and am currently not in my room.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2010, 15:35.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

21. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 14:12 Mcboinkens

You would have to be a fool to believe that they would include single player in a free weekend when it only lasts 7ish hours.

But anyway, I love this game on the 360. Granted, it isn't the same experience as the PC gamers have had, so I could see why I seem to be enjoying it more.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is blown out of proportion. It isn't really that good. I think a lot of people are just jumping on the bandwagon so they can stop talking about/playing COD. The destructible environment is the only thing going for it, but even that is not enough to outweigh the weapon balance, camping, and teamkilling issues.

TLDR: I want BF3 now.

20. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 13:35 jimnms

Bumpy wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 11:34:
No single player for free so not interested. I'd rather pay for and support Bad Company 2.
I never really got into the CoD type MP. All I'm interested in is playing the SP part, but I'm not paying $60 for that. I'll wait until it goes on sale for $15 like I did with the last one.

Steam Profile

19. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 13:24 bjack

Preloading this is a phantom operation. You don't get ANY indication but yes it will download. Check your under your steam folders and you can see it expanding.

18. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 13:21 necrosis

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 12:39:
Did anyone else notice this game costs $59.99 not $49.99 like every other PC games? I will not bother buying this game. Wanted to try the free weekend but the download seem to be all bugged.
Yes. It was the first game to bump into the $60 price range for PC games. Their claim is that they give you so much more of a game it warrants the price increase. Yet they removed dedicated servers and require logins that are completely useless (IW net).

As for BC2, I have no idea how people stick up for that one as well with no user run dedicated servers thus no custom maps. I wrote off that game as well when it was announced.

17. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 12:50 Nameless Again

They fucked up and screwed the PC gaming crowd. Even this late in the game, you can't polish a turd.  

16. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 12:45 Trevellian

Fuck MW2
And to StingingVelvet. The truth is NOT in the middle. The lag on IWNet causes all sorts of exploits. I know because I have played it on PS3. I have a 25mbps connection (Meaning if it weren't for IW.net I could be playing on servers with a 5 ping in some cases and instead I'm stuck playing P2P at 100+ ping).

The lag allows people to exploit Marathon/Commando/Lightweight and run around and knife everyone without you being able to do much about it. Granted if you get them at a distance theres a good chance they will die. But if they come around a corner and are within 20 feet. Good luck. You've got maybe a 10% chance you'll kill them. The other 90% of that time, you'll think you're putting a whole clip into them, only to die to a knife because on their end, they've already killed you and moved on.

So no, don't give me that truth is in the middle bullcrap. IW.net blows and everyone knows it.

Screw MW2 for free. Pay for BC2 and have more fun than you will with a free game. Sad but true.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

15. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 12:39 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 12:32 Sleeeeepy

PropheT wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 12:25:
I'd guess it's more of an effort to sell more map packs than it being an issue with dwindling numbers, but who knows.

This is the correct answer I'd think. Reignite the interest by having people who don't own it bug people who have owned it but stopped playing to come back.

13. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 12:25 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 7, 2010, 11:37:
Something tells me numbers are dwindling significantly - as they have no reason to do this considering their original sales numbers. Do they really think they will get the other people to buy this?

I won't.

I'd guess it's more of an effort to sell more map packs than it being an issue with dwindling numbers, but who knows.

12. Re: Free MW2 on Steam this Weekend Apr 7, 2010, 12:19 Paketep

Wow, it's already come to this?. BC2 must be doing really well.

Or perhaps they want more free listen servers for the weekend.

11. Steam servers are too busy. Apr 7, 2010, 12:16 I've Got The News Blues

This game should have had a real demo.

I also anticipate that demand will be so great for this that most people won't be able to download it just as what happened with the first UT3 free weekend on Steam.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo