Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2010, 09:20 RCH

Starting at $499US for the barebones model, it's not exactly cheap either

Not that it makes ANY difference, it's not as if apple competes on price, or features for that matter.

They appear to be in command of the market, and at this point, it's difficult to imagine 'epic fail' for any of their consumer products.

Their products appear to lose value quickly also, due to the inevitable refresh to the next gen. To be fair, apple isn't alone in that mentality, and most seem only too happy to purchase the next product cycle.

A $500 kindle strikes me as a larger ripoff then an iPad. But perhaps I don't understand that product either.

I certainy don't beguile anyone their love for their iXxx, whatever gets you through the night, I say.

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2010, 06:43 Ventura

Actually the iPad isn't even expensive

Starting at $499US for the barebones model, it's not exactly cheap either. That's going to be at least $699AU out here; I could buy two Netbooks at that price and have some change left over.

If I bought an iPad, it'd really just be for the sake of it, because I don't know what it's for. It's a bit too big to be portable, and there are far better surf-the-net devices, and far better gaming devices, that you can buy for a lot cheaper. The iPod Touch I can understand, it's small enough to fit in my pocket, but I don't know what the point of this thing is.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2010, 17:47 Tumbler

The best part is that it's intentionally disabled functionality, it's not like the hardware is incapable of multitasking due to constraints or something.

I'm hoping either:

A. Jailbreaking it and loading some custom OS that users put together with give if the functionality it needs

or

B. Apple will cave to the massive complaints regarding these basic things and give in updating the os and browser.

I don't know how much I care about multi tasking if the machine can't load basic apps like word, excel, etc. Honestly I would rather see MS show up with something soon based on that demo of a touch screen system they showed off a few years back. Was something similar to this ipad touch but built for a tabletop.

The future is going to rock when we can have a fully functional computer in the form of something like an ipad. (load whatever os, aka windows, you want, apps, usb, the whole deal)

LOL, you know what apple did? They said well if we can add those features to the iphone and people love it, lets do it to a digital picture frame! That is what this is, a digital picture frame with the increased functionality of an iphone vs a phone. They should have called it ipic.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2010, 15:02 Verno

The best part is that it's intentionally disabled functionality, it's not like the hardware is incapable of multitasking due to constraints or something.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2010, 14:59 Quboid

MrBone wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 12:59:
in before poor guys start ranting...haha.

Ah, so that's how you multitask - buy an iPad for each simultaneous process you want to run. Definitely not for poor people.

Seriously, no multitasking? That's not acceptable for a smartphone never mind a tablet.

- Quboid

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2010, 13:54 Verno

MrBone wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 12:59:

Actually the iPad isn't even expensive. Owning an iPad doesn't make you part of some super exclusive part of upper class society. In fact it more accurately puts you at the wannabe trendy part of lower middle class income earners

Most people are "ranting" about the functionality and rightfully so.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2010, 13:34 Tumbler

Played with the ipad in the apple store yesterday, it's indeed very cool. I wish my iphone responded that quick to everything. All those commercials that make it look like the iphone does things crazy fast...that is what the ipad does. And most of the time on my laptop is surfing the internet which was easier on the ipad.

But this sums up what breaks the whole thing for me:

At the end of the day, I was surprised at the number of sites that actually had SOME problem with them. Most worked fine, but when something fails, I noticed more than I do on the iPhone. I think this is simply a user expectation thing: on my phone I expect things NOT to work and am happy when they do. On the iPad I expect things to work as well as they do in Safari in my desktop, and am irritated when they don't.

I want the ipad to be a laptop replacement. I don't want to have to put my laptop and my ipad near my couch because the ipad won't work on some sites. Someone will fill this need, if not apple then someone else and I look forward to having a tablet pc that i use to surf the net instead of a full laptop as I have now.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2010, 12:59 MrBone

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo