Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection

Plain Sight, Beatnik Games' new game where you play as a "badass suicidal ninja robot" is now available on Direct2Drive. They have a note that we didn't see when the game was released on Steam earlier, that warns: "This game requires an Internet connection to be played." On a related note, you can view the Plain Sight launch trailer on Vimeo.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Thanks for the clarification. Apr 6, 2010, 14:16 I've Got The News Blues

ASeven wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 14:08:
Yes, one must login first to our account. But other small indie MP games do that, like Altitude, for instance.
So that means there really is no true LAN or offline play. "This game requires an Internet connection to be played." means it is required each time the game is launched. Thanks for the clarification.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: No constant Internet connection Apr 6, 2010, 14:08 ASeven

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 13:23:
ASeven wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 11:46:
The game associates you to an account when you login. Going to try right now if you need net to play with bots in practice.

Nope, once I logged into my account I disconnected my ethernet cable, rendering me netless and was able to navigate the menus and play practice without any problem whatsoever.
But, you still must login to your account to run the game at all? If so, that would mean that an Internet connection is required to play it even offline. It only means that a constant Internet connection is not needed.

Yes, one must login first to our account. But other small indie MP games do that, like Altitude, for instance.

20. No constant Internet connection Apr 6, 2010, 13:23 I've Got The News Blues

ASeven wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 11:46:
The game associates you to an account when you login. Going to try right now if you need net to play with bots in practice.

Nope, once I logged into my account I disconnected my ethernet cable, rendering me netless and was able to navigate the menus and play practice without any problem whatsoever.
But, you still must login to your account to run the game at all? If so, that would mean that an Internet connection is required to play it even offline. It only means that a constant Internet connection is not needed.

19. Re: It has LAN play, but... Apr 6, 2010, 11:46 ASeven

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 11:16:
As I wrote below, the developer needs to clarify the situation with the DRM. Does the game have some one-time Internet activation requirement, or do you really need to be online for LAN and bot play?

18. Re: It has LAN play, but... Apr 6, 2010, 11:16 I've Got The News Blues

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 10:18:
Every Steam game in the known universe requires online activation.
Except this game doesn't appear to be Steam exclusive. If it were, Direct2Drive wouldn't be selling it, and this news post wouldn't exit. Sure if you purchase the game on Steam, it's going to have Steam's DRM too because it requires the Steam client, but this game appears to use some other type of Internet activation or account too for its DRM.

As I wrote below, the developer needs to clarify the situation with the DRM. Does the game have some one-time Internet activation requirement, or do you really need to be online for LAN and bot play?

17. Re: It has LAN play, but... Apr 6, 2010, 10:18 Prez

However, the game may still require some type of Internet activation which would explain the requirement.

Every Steam game in the known universe requires online activation. Wasn't that one of the things you hate about your arch nemesis Steam?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: It has LAN play, but... Apr 6, 2010, 10:16 Elessar

Chillax people. It's an MP-only game anyway and I think this is just to ensure that people won't buy this game expecting otherwise. It's just a way to ensure people are aware before they purchase.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

15. Re: It has LAN play, but... Apr 6, 2010, 08:31 ASeven

Game's actually a very original and good MP game, lots of bugs but still good. A couple weeks should make this a very awesome game.

Besides, supporting the indies is always a good thing.

14. Re: It has LAN play, but... Apr 6, 2010, 08:17 InBlack

Any game that features a badass suicidal ninja robot deserves at least some respect  

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: It has LAN play, but... Apr 6, 2010, 06:52 ASeven

Can confirm the game has indeed LAN, in fact one of the filter options for the server browser is between net and LAN  

12. It has LAN play, but... Apr 6, 2010, 02:34 I've Got The News Blues

PHJF wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 02:18:
I suppose it's a roundabout way of saying, "our game doesn't support LAN play."
From what I have read in the Steam forum, the game does appear to have both LAN and offline play. However, the game may still require some type of Internet activation which would explain the requirement.

11. Needs further explanation Apr 6, 2010, 02:22 I've Got The News Blues

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2010, 00:26:
It used to be that it was assumed that the average PC gamer was at least sophisticated enough to grasp the fundamental concept that "multiplayer" meant "online connection".
Assumed by whom? Presumptuous idiots? That fundamental concept is wrong. Multiplayer does not necessarily mean Internet multiplayer. It could also mean LAN play which should not require a constant Internet connection.

The developer of this game definitely needs to explain the DRM in it and the online requirement because "This game requires an Internet connection to be played." doesn't cut it.

From what I have read in the Steam forum, this game doesn't use Steamworks for the multiplayer functionality or for account management. It uses a CD key system that the developers are hosting themselves.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2010, 02:32.

10. Re: Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection Apr 6, 2010, 02:18 PHJF

I suppose it's a roundabout way of saying, "our game doesn't support LAN play."  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection Apr 6, 2010, 00:50 Narf2029

Oh, is it? That makes more sense. On the other hand, it makes less sense that they'd issue such a warning about it if it's supposed to be multiplayer only anyway.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

8. Re: Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection Apr 6, 2010, 00:26 Prez

What the hell is the point of posting a warning like that if it is a multiplayer game only? What, are you jealous of all the anger and vitriol directed at Ubisoft and EA?

It used to be that it was assumed that the average PC gamer was at least sophisticated enough to grasp the fundamental concept that "multiplayer" meant "online connection". Or has there been a sudden rise in 4 player split screen gaming on one PC while I wasn't looking?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection Apr 5, 2010, 23:47 Jerykk

So many reactionary posts. Please do research before venting kthx.  

6. Re: Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection Apr 5, 2010, 22:03 JaguarUSF

What? World of Warcraft requires an Internet connection to be played? Well, screw that!  

5. Re: Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection Apr 5, 2010, 22:02 ASeven

Yeah, it's a MP only game, don't understand that warning to be honest. You can play with bots for practice but this is a MP game through and through, the practice section is just that, without any goals or missions or story.

Such a weird warning. It's like saying TeamFortress2 requires constant online connection.

4. Re: Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection Apr 5, 2010, 21:51 Grumble

it's a multiplayer game only. of course it needs a network connection. and here's a steam post on the dedicated server.

3. Re: Plain Sight on D2D, Requires 'Net Connection Apr 5, 2010, 21:20 Narf2029

I was a little tempted to try it out for $10, but if this too is going with the always-online trend, they couldn't give it to me for free.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo