Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 4, 2010, 09:56 Fion

I saw a review for it on CNN the other day and it had a woman talking about how amazing it was and she demonstrated it's e-reader capabilities with what appeared to be a medical book that had pictures you could rotate (cough-gimmick-cough.) Of course as she said this and showed if off her eyes were bloodshot from focusing on small text on an LCD screen for hours and you could barely see what she was showing because the screen was reflecting a window nearby.

I think I'll stick with a netbook and the Kindle. The I-Pad is a pathetic e-reader and with 3/4ths the features of my netbook but 3 times as expensive. And sure maybe the Kindle's text is ugly compared to the Ipad, but at least you can actually read for an hour without your eyes throbbing and dry.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 4, 2010, 09:31 Prez

People truly are lemmings. I don't mean to insult anyone who is genuinely interested in or enjoys their iPad. But it is almost depressing how easily the general populace is sucked into buying virtually anything simply by marketing and image projection.

The iPad looks like it might be a nifty (albeit completely unnecessary) yet limited little chotchke, but c'mon - lining up in front of a store the night before waiting to get one? Seriously? Is it part of the humam condition to be so easily swayed into mindless consumerism? Like I said, depressing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 4, 2010, 04:28 Cutter

Does it text as well as a phone? No. Does it work as a phone? No. Does it do games or multimedia better than PC or laptop? No. So what good is it?

And as another recent article pointed out, you'll really need the 3G model, than throw in a protective case, keyboard and few other essentials that they charge for and all of a sudden the $500 ipad is really $1200. Then you have the joy of paying for yet another monthly fee beyond your cell, home phone, home internet, cable, sattelite, et al for $30 per month. No, this thing is going to fail.
Already they saying that they've haven't come close to seeing the sort of numbers they were hoping for and no one is running out of them, not even close. I'd like to see the return numbers once the buyers remorse kicks in.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 4, 2010, 02:59 nin

but no self-respecting man would walk around with a device called an IPAD. It's just wrong.

I would. But my biggest issue is price. If they're trying to sell it as a primary computer, or a replacement for a secondary computer, it doesn't have the same capabilities. And if they're trying to sell it as a tablet or multimedia device, it's overpriced (like all apple products).

I'll wait until the second or third generation, when they refine it a bit.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 4, 2010, 00:09 Fang

/shrugs.

This is why I'm a Windows/Linux guy with an Android phone, while I buy Apple stock.

So please buy iPads, lots of them. I'll be happy with the HP Slate and my Apple stock.

15. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 23:57 Ventura

Heck, the thing even displays animated gifs.

So does my laptop mate, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Out here in Australia I'm shuddering to think how much the iPad is going to cost when it's released. I anticipate the basic 16gig wifi model running at least a cool $700, and it's only uphill from there.

I've seen a few videos, and they look kinda cool, but you're going to have to better than "it displays animated gifs!"

14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 23:41 Creston

shponglefan wrote on Apr 3, 2010, 20:06:

So what is the iPad going to do different that no other tablet before it hasn't done?

Other than cost more and offer less functionality? Nothing. But all the Apple drones will still gobble it up like cake.

Creston

13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 22:05 xXBatmanXx

Exactly derelict.

I remember reading something once....something about a fool and his money.

It is more expensive than 10 diff laptops and netbooks and does WAY less.

I am typing this at my pc...with a keyboard....my pc even does games and animated gifs.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 21:08 derelict koan

RCH wrote on Apr 3, 2010, 17:40:
So what is the iPad going to do different that no other tablet before it hasn't done?

Convince a shitload of people that their lives will be awesome as soon as they have this thing.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 20:48 Ray Marden

I think it varies in all cases.

At its current price and performance, the iPad is a toy for the "cool" people. It otherwise makes it harder for me to access my information, wouldn't let me do my job, lacks basic connectivity, can't multitask, etc.

At times, I think Apple has come in and shaken up a market - it's offered a different view of things or reintroduced the human element to markets.

However, it more recently has become cult obsessed with furthering the Apple name with little care for much else.

When is the last time Apple tried to appeal to me on gaming, price, performance, customization and/or options? I'm not particularly beholden to the non-Apple companies, but they generally offer me these things. Likewise, of all the companies I don't end up purchasing from, Apple is the only one that insults me for not doing so...
Really, what other company acts like Apple?
Thinking of many other things I would spend the equivalent money on,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 20:35 MrBone

Best device ever...I feel sorry for the haters. Using it to post this and having a good laugh reading the boo hoo stories. Heck, the thing even displays animated gifs.  

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 20:10 Tumbler

Meh. I like the features on the iphone, ipod touch, etc. This is just another version of that platform. If the price drops a lot it might be more interesting but it's not clear to me why developers will rush to support this item in particular in ways that we don't see on the touch and phone. The larger screens will obviously make video games and media in general a bit more interesting but the people buying it probably won't be a major market force. The iphone and ipod touch were portable, this seems too big to carry around so the whole thing is just a different animal. The hype seems to suggest that it's going to be just as popular as the other smaller devices but I don't see it.

It does bring one interesting thing to the table, the platform is ideal for smaller indie game developers. Something like gratuitus space battles would be perfect for that thing and if the games are good enough people might pick up the device just for those. I'm guessing we'll see "plants and zombies" and "peggle" and other games like that immediately and it could be awesome to see a flood of indie games on the platform.

Software sells systems, and the apps are what really sold the iphone/ipod touch. It can do the same thing with the ipad so I'll keep my eyes on the game reviews. Could be very cool stuff, could also be a huge waste of time.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 20:06 xXBatmanXx

Zero interest in the Ipad.

Over priced iPod Touch.

Could have been a lot more.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 20:06 shponglefan

Before the ipad, well I've been wrong about every other apple product, maybe I'll give up being an armchair analyst, and keep my mouth shut.

Result: More then likely, Huge success

The difference between the iPad and everything else you listed is that there were already markets for the other Apple products (i.e. desktop PCs, MP3 players, and smartphones). Apple just made sexy versions of them.

On other hand, tablet PCs have been done before and have never been successful. They occupy this "no man's land" in between a netbook and a cellphone/smartphone. So what is the iPad going to do different that no other tablet before it hasn't done?

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 19:06 Kxmode

Among women. Call me misogynistic but no self-respecting man would walk around with a device called an IPAD. It's just wrong.

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 18:50 Silicon Avatar

The iPad doesn't interest me, but plenty of other people seem to be excited about it. The iPod didn't interest me either and they sold a ton of those. I think I'm a computer geek and Apple sells to everyone else. That's fine. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Sometimes I think about getting an Apple laptop so I can do software development on OSX.

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 18:29 bigspender

just goes to show that people will play money so that they can think they are cool. (i.e. they are fucking morons and wanna-be celebraties)

there is no other reason to buy apple products

hmm cost a lot, doesn't really do anything special, infact even less than the last product, and is basically just a portal to the apple store....

HUGE SUCCESS.

EDIT : I can understand the Slate PC, its a full operating system, and with Windows 7 SP1 + remoteFX, you'll be able to play proper 3D games from gaming pc in the house on it.

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 18:10 SirKnight

Of course, the Apple TV was not a huge success.

I did have a 32GB iPad 3G on pre-order, but I canceled it to wait to see what happens with the HP Slate. If it does have 3G like I read about and IF the plan is just as good as the iPad 3G plan (unlimited data for $30/month no contract) then I want the Slate for sure (it's much more useful anyway). But, if the 3G plan does not meet my requirement or if it turns out not to have 3G at all then I'll go to the iPad 3G again.

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 17:40 RCH

I don't hate apple products, I simply do not understand them.

Before the imac, I remember thinking who the heck is going to buy an underpowered candy colored computer with a round one button mouse?

Result: Huge success

Before the ipod, I thought, who the heck is going to buy a $300 magot white mp3 player which is tied to a bloated interface, to an online store?

Before the iphone, I remember thinking, another smartphone? You got to be kidding, right?

Before the ipad, well I've been wrong about every other apple product, maybe I'll give up being an armchair analyst, and keep my mouth shut.

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 13:57 |RaptoR|

haters I love the iPad... this little thing is badass!  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo