Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo

Steam News announces the release of the promised playable demo for Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, Devolver Digital's remake of Croteam's old school shooter. Word is: "Grab the demo and go back in time *IN HD* as the legendary Sam 'Serious,' where you'll head to ancient Egypt to battle the overwhelming forces of Notorious Mental and the Sirian army."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 4, 2010, 10:17 wtf_man

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Apr 3, 2010, 15:32:
Actually the engine in the original games must have been sold for a lot less than that because it was used in a few budget FPS games such as Nitro Family, Eurocops, and Carnivores Cityscape.

I could have sworn this said 400k a few months ago, but I digress.
100k is still fairly expensive for what you get. Yes they have 20k (deposit type) entry licenses... but in the long run you will still pay 75k-100k for it.

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=38

Scroll to the bottom for pricing. That's the engine that made Second Encounter. It was added to tht site in 2004.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 4, 2010, 08:58 Ant

Nameless wrote on Apr 4, 2010, 01:50:
Both games were good; both had their strengths. If I had to pick one, it'd be the first one, only due to the sheer wow-factor of the bosses when I first played it.

But even 7.50 is too much for a just a graphical upgrade. Tried the demo and while neat, should have been released as a free update.
With today's economy, they need to make something from all that work. They aren't Blizzard. $7.50 isn't too bad.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 4, 2010, 01:50 Nameless Again

Both games were good; both had their strengths. If I had to pick one, it'd be the first one, only due to the sheer wow-factor of the bosses when I first played it.

But even 7.50 is too much for a just a graphical upgrade. Tried the demo and while neat, should have been released as a free update.

12. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 19:06 I've Got The News Blues

Shadowcat wrote on Apr 3, 2010, 18:48:
honestly, you can't expect a company to go to the effort of remaking a game of this size, and then to release it for whatever discounted price the original now goes for.
You can expect it when the remake improves so little upon the original game and is worse than the original in major respects (multiplayer support and DRM).

If you don't have the original, $15 simply isn't that much money to get a version with fancier graphics.
That's why I qualified my original statement with "if you already have the original game." If you have the original, $15 is an excessive price. If you don't have it, it isn't excessive if you can't find the original or gold release at a decent price.

11. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 18:48 Shadowcat

It's delusional if you already have the original game as it's the same maps, weapons, brain-dead enemies, and tired gameplay.
By that logic, everyone continuing to charge money for any game you've already purchased is "delusional".

It's also delusional if you can get the gold release of the original game plus the sequel (second encounter) for the same price or less (~$10 in the jewel case)
That's a slightly better argument, but still kinda silly -- honestly, you can't expect a company to go to the effort of remaking a game of this size, and then to release it for whatever discounted price the original now goes for.

If you don't have the original, $15 simply isn't that much money to get a version with fancier graphics. If you do have the original and you don't think the remake is a significant improvement, then you're just not in the target audience.

10. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 15:42 Wallshadows

I certainly never got the "Old School Shooter / Doom Feel" with their games. It felt more like an arcade game that you needed to put quarters in for

You got it.

For example the jumping toad enemies didn't work for Daikatana, and they don't work for this game either.

More jumping toads would have fixed that.

9. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 15:32 I've Got The News Blues

wtf_man wrote on Apr 3, 2010, 13:43:
It's delusional because the games sucked in the first place, especially the Second Encounter
The Second Encounter is the good one (or at least the better of the two games) because it has more variety in the enemies, locales, and weapons. The boss fights and the scope are much more over-the-top so the game doesn't feel as tired. So, if you are going to play one of the two especially for co-op mode, the Second Encounter is the one to play.

because Croteam can't sell their engine because they charge way too much for it (400k or so... meaning that they are losers that are milking the same "tech demos")
Actually the engine in the original games must have been sold for a lot less than that because it was used in a few budget FPS games such as Nitro Family, Eurocops, and Carnivores Cityscape.

Ok, I'll admit that the first game was somewhat fun during the first few levels... but after that, it became extremely annoying.
With this supposedly HD re-release, that is exactly what feels so tired to me. Since I have already played the original release and since its gameplay is so simplistic, slogging through the sparse first few levels feels like tedious work instead of entertainment. For example the jumping toad enemies didn't work for Daikatana, and they don't work for this game either.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2010, 15:38.

8. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 13:43 wtf_man

It's delusional because the games sucked in the first place, especially the Second Encounter... because Croteam can't seem to make anything else... and because Croteam can't sell their engine because they charge way too much for it (400k or so... meaning that they are losers that are milking the same "tech demos")

Ok, I'll admit that the first game was somewhat fun during the first few levels... but after that, it became extremely annoying. I certainly never got the "Old School Shooter / Doom Feel" with their games. It felt more like an arcade game that you needed to put quarters in for, than an "Old School" PC shooter.

I'm not dissing people that enjoyed them... but in my opinion the Serious Sam series pretty much sucks.

7. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 13:25 I've Got The News Blues

Shadowcat wrote on Apr 3, 2010, 06:27:
How is $15 for a kick-ass game "delusional"?
It's delusional if you already have the original game as it's the same maps, weapons, brain-dead enemies, and tired gameplay. It's also delusional if you can get the gold release of the original game plus the sequel (second encounter) for the same price or less (~$10 in the jewel case) as it is a better game if you want to play multiplayer since it supports dedicated servers and can be shared since it doesn't require Steam.

(Not that I'm buying it myself until it's available from non-Steam sources
This release will never be available from non-Steam sources as it is too tied to Steam. Multiplayer functionality would be completely absent if Steam were removed (as is the case with the pirated releases of the game).

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2010, 13:36.

6. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 07:32 Sphinx

So you can get an iPad for $500 or gift about 30 copies of Serious Sam HD for about the same amount. The correct answer is obvious.  
-Sphinx

5. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 07:03 Dr.Del

$500 for the iPad. Now that is delusional!  

- DrDel

4. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 06:27 Shadowcat

How is $15 for a kick-ass game "delusional"?

(Not that I'm buying it myself until it's available from non-Steam sources, but that's not about the price)

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2010, 06:34.

3. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 01:52 ViRGE

skyguy wrote on Apr 3, 2010, 00:08:
$15!!! They are delusional.
They originally wanted $20. The time to get it was when Steam was selling it for $7.50.

2. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 3, 2010, 00:08 skyguy

$15!!! They are delusional.

1. Re: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter Demo Apr 2, 2010, 20:55 Dr.Del

Woah! Blast from the past!  

- DrDel

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo