Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Dwarf Fortress

The redesign to the Dwarf Fortress Website yesterday that rendered the site unreadable helped us mistake yesterday's new version of this fantasy game as an April Fools' joke. They have links to download the new version 0.31.01, and this forum thread has discussion of the new release. Thanks Rollory.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Angband Vs Dwarf Fortress Apr 3, 2010, 13:33 Narf2029

Yeah, the UI can be extremely difficult to overcome. I know it's a one guy show but every time I take a break from playing it, I have to take a couple weeks to just get used to looking at it again to where I know what I'm seeing. Each time I put it down, it takes longer for me to want to pick it back up as a result.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Angband Vs Dwarf Fortress Apr 3, 2010, 12:57 PHJF

Well I tried it but no, the UI is beyond hope. Makes Falcon 4.0 look like Ace Combat.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Angband Vs Dwarf Fortress Apr 3, 2010, 10:57 NKD

Cholma wrote on Apr 3, 2010, 06:38:
After a decade of forgetting about it, I recently started playing Angband again. How does DF compare?

Not really the same thing. DF does have an "Adventurer Mode" where you can wander around in a kind of Rogue-like mode, but the meat and potatoes is in the main Dwarf Fortress mode which aside from the stock ASCII tiles is very different from a Rogue-like.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

18. Angband Vs Dwarf Fortress Apr 3, 2010, 06:38 Cholma

After a decade of forgetting about it, I recently started playing Angband again. How does DF compare?

17. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 3, 2010, 02:27 Narf2029

Has its moments though, like when a dwarf catches a kobold thief by ripping one of the kobold's arms off and beating him to death with it. Or all-inclusive defense by flooding the outside world with magma anytime trouble shows up, tree-hugging elves be damned.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

16. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 3, 2010, 01:44 Dmitri_M

With an ambitious 1 man show like Dwarf Fortress you can't always expect the usual slick "media package"  

15. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 22:26 Wilson

The only game where thrown vomit is deadly, money is useless, and each layer of skin has its own hitpoints.  

14. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 21:43 mag

Never visited their old site, I'll admit. But that far-background image, combined with the background color, combined with the text color... is pretty much the worst thing ever.  

13. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 15:36 Fuzzmatang

This is also a good tutorial walkthrough and has files for the gameworld so you can follow it step by step.  

12. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 15:14 NKD

Frijoles wrote on Apr 2, 2010, 14:37:
I decided to try again. Brain is so far in tact. I found some good video tutorials:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28477.0

They're for an older version of the game, but I'm up to #4 so far and they're definitely helping to figure the game out.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31928.0

These are a little more recent and pretty in-depth. That said, its still not based on the new version (which has an entirely new underground layout setup with tons more Z levels)

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 14:37 Frijoles

I decided to try again. Brain is so far in tact. I found some good video tutorials:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28477.0

They're for an older version of the game, but I'm up to #4 so far and they're definitely helping to figure the game out.

10. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 14:17 Lincolns Mullet

Unreal World looks like Doom 3 compared to DF, but both games are fantastic. They are definitely in a gaming realm all by themselves, and actually are far more entertaining than most big budget games. Plus it feels good supporting smaller devs who do this out of pure passion.  

9. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 13:54 ASeven

Bad graphics, ultra complex games, clunky UIs FTW!  

8. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 13:31 NKD

mag wrote on Apr 2, 2010, 12:56:
Holy Geocities, Batman!

You're joking right? Did you ever visit their old site? It contained 507% more Geocities.

Anyway, DF is a great game, but I don't really recommend it to my friends because frankly they are all either graphics whores, not smart enough, or incapable of adapting back to a clunky UI.

7. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 12:56 mag

Holy Geocities, Batman!  

6. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 11:15 ASeven

Holy heck! Me being an ADOM whore how come I never heard of this one?? I've been waiting for ages for the ADOM author to release JADE and it seems it has already been released and it's called Dwarf Fortress!

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about this game than any AAA game that is out or may come out?

5. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 11:04 Frijoles

I tried this game a few years ago. My brain asploded trying to figure out the interface. It took a few months of crying in the corner before I could interact with people again. For that reason I fear trying this new version.  

4. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 10:51 briktal

InBlack wrote on Apr 2, 2010, 10:19:
I played a version a few years ago, it was quite addictive and fun. however some of the strange mutations my character acquired prevented me from being able to make much progress.

Im definitely going to try this, along with zdaemon its probably the only game my system will allow me to run ATM

Keep in mind that a new major release of DF can be very buggy, though it doesn't seem like it has too many crash bugs at the moment. Also, I think it's using a lot of RAM on a default sized world.

3. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 10:19 InBlack

I played a version a few years ago, it was quite addictive and fun. however some of the strange mutations my character acquired prevented me from being able to make much progress.

Im definitely going to try this, along with zdaemon its probably the only game my system will allow me to run ATM

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: New Dwarf Fortress Apr 2, 2010, 10:16 Yuioup

It one of the most mind-blowing games I've ever come across ...  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo