Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DNF Was to Go Gold Today

Jason "loonyboi" Bergman tweets: "MOMENT OF SILENCE PLEASE: by the 3DR/TTWO development schedule, April 1st, 2010 was supposed to be the day Duke Nukem Forever went gold. :(," following up about the April Fools' date with this: "Totally intentional. It was going to be hilarious," and a Shacknews comment saying: "Not an April Fool's Gag."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 3, 2010, 10:50 Merkaba48

No, not tattoo worthy. At the time though, it was one hell of a ride. The level design and capabilities of the Build engine were fantastic. It was a good ol' riot of a game, with humour and atmosphere, sci fi and realism (as much as it could portray realism).

I don't think DNF could have really lived up to it, as the state of the play field has changed so much. The best thing about DNF at the time was that it offered something slightly different and was full of kick-ass features (mirrors, shrinking rays, using toilets, trains, explosions, earthquakes, etc etc). For DNF to be successful I think it would have had to somehow bring a host of new gameplay/entertainment features to the stage. All the footage I've seen has shown a heavy amount of animated scripting, I guess to try and get a cinematic experience all the way through the game and break from the classic experience of playing against AI creatures. I'm not sure how well that would have worked.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 3, 2010, 04:34 Jerykk

I disagree. Duke 3D was the first shooter I can think of that had a protagonist with a personality and a highly-interactive environment. It also had strippers.  

22. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 3, 2010, 00:15 Shreek

Duke was a good game back whenever it came out, but there were a lot of other shooters that were just as good. It was the hype surrounding it and all the 3DR bullshit over the years that made it legendary. It was a good game. But not tattoo worthy, for chrissakes.  

21. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 2, 2010, 04:36 InBlack

I would have still liked to see the game see the light of day, anyone who was a teenage nerd in the early 90's surely feels the same way.

Duke3d was one of my favorite games back in the day, my feeling is that pretty much every single PC game since was too politicaly correct, too nice, too much in line with the media and corporate culture (apart from a few notable exceptions)

Duke was a fuck-it-all antihero and I would have loved to see some more of his antics. We sorely need it in this sterile "baby gloves on" day and age.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 2, 2010, 02:56 Kxmode

Duke it's over! Stop calling me!  

19. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 2, 2010, 01:25 Prez

The whole Duke Nukem Forever fiasco was too frickin' sad to be funny.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 2, 2010, 01:07 Diabolus in Musica

Um ok how is this even remotely funny?  

17. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 2, 2010, 00:21 MMORPGHoD

"Not an April Fool's Gag."

That's what I think when I see the letters DNF mentioned no matter what day it is. It's been more gag than game for years now.

16. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 2, 2010, 00:13 Mashiki Amiketo

space captain wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 22:40:
that console sounds like an awesome investment opportunity.. you gotta brochure on that?
Sure. Got a box full of bricks right here, for the low-low price of $999, with 3 easy installments.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 23:58 Creston

They can't even do a funny April 1st joke.

Creston

14. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 23:51 Acleacius

There's no Santa Claus.
Haha, I wondered who's extra presents I keep getting every year, sucker!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 23:30 LittleMe

I guess someone parked a load of bricks in the wrong spot.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

12. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 22:40 space captain

Akuinnen wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 22:28:
I'm going to play it on my Phantom console

that console sounds like an awesome investment opportunity.. you gotta brochure on that?

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 22:35 Nameless Again

Really? I thought it was supposed to go gold in 1999...2001....2004...2008....  

10. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 22:28 Akuinnen

I'm going to play it on my Phantom console  

9. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 22:24 That Guy

Visit the 3DR DNF forums. Those people are certain it will come out any time.  

8. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 22:13 nin

Still looking forward to a release.

There's no Santa Claus.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 21:56 Ravor

I'd be happy if we never heard about this piece of shit game ever again.  

6. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 21:23 Acleacius

Still looking forward to a release.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: DNF Was to Go Gold Today Apr 1, 2010, 21:22 Riker

Yeah... hilarious.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo