Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete

A story on Joystiq clarifies that recent indications that Six Days in Fallujah is complete are not accurate, with Peter Tamte of Atomic Games saying reports that the Iraq War military shooter is "complete" have been "lost in translation." He says the game needs more than a publisher, as while all the levels in the game are complete, it still requires "additional AI and graphics" passes, and that Atomic would like to incorporate some of the technology from its upcoming multiplayer shooter Breach into the final version of the game.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 2, 2010, 02:02 Beamer

I just hope more people click on Slippery Jim's profile and see that nearly every post he's made has been in support of whacked-out politics.

Troll. Or in need of some serious therapy. One or the other, in any case not worth responding to.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 2, 2010, 01:45 zirik

finish the game dammit. we all want to be armchair warriors who pride in tackling sensitive issues by eating cheetos while killing virtual enemies.  

20. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 2, 2010, 01:08 StingingVelvet

Slippery Jim wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 21:04:
Yes, yes. You are all proud brainwashed warmongering neo-cons. You have been lied to for so long that even after the fact that your government has been shown to nothing more than murdering thugs you still blindly wave your flag.

Patriotic zombies that have been brainwashed and lied to from birth. Wake up and stop being slaves. Stop drooling every time they ring the patriotic bell like Pavlovian dogs.

What does support for the war have to do with this? I personally supported Afghanistan but not Iraq, and that remains the case for me to this day, but how does that have ANYTHING to do with the simple fact that all violent games are based on real violence?

19. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 21:04 Donkey_Punch

Yes, yes. You are all proud brainwashed warmongering neo-cons. You have been lied to for so long that even after the fact that your government has been shown to nothing more than murdering thugs you still blindly wave your flag.

Patriotic zombies that have been brainwashed and lied to from birth. Wake up and stop being slaves. Stop drooling every time they ring the patriotic bell like Pavlovian dogs.

18. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 20:40 StingingVelvet

Call of Duty and the new Medal of Honor are both using the current wars for the basis of modern combat. I don't know why this game is set apart from that and so much worse. They used a real city name, OH THE HUMANITY.

I could see being against it if you were against using real violence as an inspiration for media violence, but if that were the case you would have to stop watching most movies and playing most games. EVERY game based around violence, which a lot are, is inspired by real acts of violence.

17. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 16:35 MMORPGHoD

This game is receiving more attention than it deserves. Just another crappy "Terrorist Takedown" money grab attempt.  

16. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 15:33 eXFeLoN

Shit I just spent all that time replying and it was for that dumbass. Fuck.  

15. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 15:30 eunichron

I was about to reply to the first comment, then I realized it was Slippery Jim, and thus could be ignored as having no value whatsoever.  

14. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 15:21 eXFeLoN

Slippery Jim wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 13:56:
If you consider me ignorant and narrow minded because I find a video game based upon an illegal invasion and occupation (that caused the death of hundreds of thousands of innocent women and children) offensive well sir I wear that tag proudly.

What kind of sick world have we turned into when the deaths of so many innocent people is turned into entertainment? I find it extremely offensive that people like you would care so little about your fellow man that you think it is okay to murder for profit and for control of the oil.

You need to turn off Fox News and wake the fuck up.

So CNN, the New York Times, Bill O'reilly (a real hero of yours I'm sure) and every other form of media that used something horrible to sell it's paper, or garner more ad views are all guilty of the same thing correct? Are you a dipshit or something? How did you find out about those horrible actions in Fallujah? Seen any war movies? Read any war books? Ever open a history book?

They're all doing the same thing. Showing you nasty horrible depraved acts of violence is a manner that doesn't get your face blown off. But I guess they do it in a manner which makes it more APPETIZING FOR YOU. More appealing. More glamorous? Glorification is one thing, showing a realistic depictation of what a hellhole is like, is another. I can't think of a better way to show people what a shitty thing war is. When my son was about 7 he was all, bang your dead, being a soldier is awesome. Then I let him watch Saving Private Ryan. He changed his mind in the first few minutes of the movie. I couldn't think of a better way to show him that war sucks. You know a movie about a horrible thing where thousands of people died.

If you actually feel that way, you must never watch tv, or read a newspaper, or a book. Because some of that shit is in there too! Hey wait, you're on the internet, I saw some pictures of Fallujah on a website. You'd better get off the internets before it hurts your deep moral values. Fucktard.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2010, 15:32.

13. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 15:15 eXFeLoN

Maybe we could just get 5 days in Fallujah then?  

12. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 14:58 theyarecomingforyou

What kind of sick world have we turned into when the deaths of so many innocent people is turned into entertainment? I find it extremely offensive that people like you would care so little about your fellow man that you think it is okay to murder for profit and for control of the oil.
I agree that the war was completely unjustified but it's the idea that you'd taken offence to this particular game when the entire industry consists of games of this nature is what irks me. How are the hundreds of WWII and Vietnam games any more tasteful?

Nothing I said in any way indicating any support of the war, not made any suggestion towards my political leanings. Perhaps it would be better not to jump to conclusions in future.

Remember how freaked out everyone was when they saw the gameplay footage? It was Gears of War in Iraq. It wasn't a brutal, honest, unflinching look at war.
And Call Of Duty was any different?

The issue was that the approach was not what they said it was going to be. They said it was going to be a horror survival style game, and footage shown proved it to have regenerating health, and a gameplay style closer to a 3rd person action game.
But that ignores their consultation with people involved in the actual conflict. And regenerating health is, unfortunately, an industry standard... slapping in health packs is just as retarded and in no way reflects on the tone of the game.

At the end of the day this game should be released and allowed to stand on its own merits. If it's great then brilliant. If it's shit then it won't sell well. But we shouldn't ignore politically sensitive subjects. Hollywood hasn't any many potentially sensitive films (Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, etc) are incredibly highly regarded for taking the risks that they did.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

11. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 14:53 NKD

I think you're confused. Fox News is what censors like YOU watch.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 14:48 Burrito of Peace

..that caused the death of hundreds of thousands of innocent women and children...

What kind of sick world have we turned into when the deaths of so many innocent people is turned into entertainment? I find it extremely offensive that people like you would care so little about your fellow man that you think it is okay to murder for profit...

So I'm guessing you absolutely hate games like Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row because you do exactly all of those things as part of the game mechanics of those titles?

9. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 14:39 Vindicus

Atomic and their game cannot be blamed for the actions of our government (if you want to take it to that level). And how would their interpretation on the events be any different than being engaged in a movie or book about the subject (which is also subject to interpretation)? Controversial subjects are put in print and on film as forms of entertainment on a regular basis, so what's the solution there?

If anyone really wants to see this game (or any other) fail, stop talking about it, stop making comments, and giving it your attention. If you must speak about it, write a private letter to your congressman/women describing your distaste. When you fuel controversy, you just fire up more interest.

8. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 14:13 Flatline

Aero wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 12:57:
but at the same time Hollywood does this quite blatantly all the time (people certainly got rich off of Shindler's List, for instance), and people don't get so up in arms about it.

The issue isn't people making money off of sensitive topics.

The issue was that the approach was not what they said it was going to be. They said it was going to be a horror survival style game, and footage shown proved it to have regenerating health, and a gameplay style closer to a 3rd person action game.

To use your example, imagine if we were promised what Schindler's List actually was, but when the movie was sneaked, it featured Arnold Schwarzenegger bursting into the Nazi headquarters in a dubbed stereotypical Jew accent spraying bullets from a machine gun as the action music kicked in.

...Actually, forget it. Replace Ah-nuld with Brad Pitt and I just practically described Inglorious Basterds. At least that move didn't portray itself as being serious in the least, and used made-up characters.

7. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 14:05 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 11:04:
Good. Hope it never gets finished and they go bankrupt.
I hope the exact opposite. I hope it is released in a good state and garners strong sales, as publishers need to be shown that gaming is a serious industry and not just about aliens and zombies. I think it would be a shame for ignorant and narrowminded people like yourself to win out and prevent games from addressing politically sensitive issues.

Remember how freaked out everyone was when they saw the gameplay footage? It was Gears of War in Iraq. It wasn't a brutal, honest, unflinching look at war.

Addressing politically sensitive issues is well and fine, but there's a difference between wagging your dick in the air and tactfully taking on a controversial issue.

6. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 13:56 Donkey_Punch

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 11:04:
I think it would be a shame for ignorant and narrowminded people like yourself to win out and prevent games from addressing politically sensitive issues.

If you consider me ignorant and narrow minded because I find a video game based upon an illegal invasion and occupation (that caused the death of hundreds of thousands of innocent women and children) offensive well sir I wear that tag proudly.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2010, 14:01.

5. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 12:57 Aero

I never really did with all of the ire directed against the concept. I don't think games are necessarily any different from film or novels, and if done properly can be used for serious subjects to great effect. I mean, if you can look far enough into the future (imagine, say, something like the holodeck in Star Trek), can you imagine any more effective way to communicate the tragedy of war? The limits of current technology do make all games a little cartoony to a certain extent, but I think this is a creative avenue that has the potential to rival if far surpass writing and film.

I think it's an interesting idea, and the subject matter should certainly be treated with respect, lest they just appear to be cashing in on real life tragedies, but at the same time Hollywood does this quite blatantly all the time (people certainly got rich off of Shindler's List, for instance), and people don't get so up in arms about it. Many people even appreciate it and admire it, in fact.

It just depends on how they do it really. If it's just an everyday war shooter, trading on the emotional impact of the events at Fallujah and the Streisand effect, then that will certainly be tasteless, but that remains to be seen.

4. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 12:50 Rhett

Looking forward to this game, especially if it has any of the destruction physics from Breach.  

3. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Not Actually Complete Apr 1, 2010, 11:04 Burrito of Peace

I'm quite the opposite. I hope it gets done, well polished and released. I hope it's as graphic as possible and unflinchingly honest. Unlikely, no doubt, but hopeful.

Perhaps then it will give those who play it a somewhat realistic view of what it's like to be in a war zone. I wonder if they'll have a mission where you have to hose your squad mate's blood out of the inside of the Hummer before you go on your next patrol.

I have nothing but respect for our service men and women and the extreme situations some of them have to go through.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo