Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Conviction Delay Explained

Ubisoft explains to Eurogamer that the recently announced delay to the PC edition of upcoming stealth sequel Splinter Cell: Conviction is not related to their controversial DRM scheme. "The reason that has been given for the delay is that the extra time was need to polish and debug the game," a Ubisoft spokesperson tells them. "The slip has not been linked to the DRM." So there.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 2, 2010, 09:17 Paketep

Well, if not for the DRM, then they must be really busy updating Sam Fisher's ridiculous twitter account.

Is there anyone at Ubi that knows how to do their job?. Anyone at all?.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 2, 2010, 01:17 Jerykk

Unless this game gets 10s across the board, I'm sticking with the 360 version. As much as I love Splinter Cell, and it's so much better on PC control wise, I can't bring myself to buy the PC version. I have a constant internet connection on my end, so it's no problem, but Ubisoft's DRM servers are lousy. Also, it doesn't help that the PC version will cost the same as the console version.

If you want Ubisoft to stop using shitty DRM, you shouldn't support them at all. Do you think they care whether you buy the PC or 360 version? As long as they get your money, it doesn't matter.

17. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 20:26 StingingVelvet

Since their DRM is working, and since they would make more profit on PC sales at $60 than console sales, I actually completely believe them.

It's still sad though, since they likely suddenly realized that the PC version has some issues so close to release.

16. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 18:03 Ray Marden

At least it isn't linked to the DRM - we have no reason to expect any improvement and can look towards the same limited, brute force approach that currently exists.

Well, we can just chalk it up to pure, outright hatred for the PC market (and the continuation of promoting the consoles over the PC.)

Whew, I'm glad we have that cleared up!
This space for sale.
Just amazed that people are buying iPads...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

15. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 17:58 Roachmojo

I'm not buying it for the PC because of the DRM...but I'm also not buying it for the 360, because fuck the 360. I'm a PC gamer. I guess I'll have to miss out on the experience.  

14. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 17:47 Boston

I think it's because they don't want negative reviews of PC version affecting sales of the console version. Settlers 7, SH5, ACII, all have ~1 star rating at amazon.com. Average joe might see the poor rating and shy away from getting any version.  

13. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 15:57 Verno

This sounds like a plausible reason but a) their DRM is uncracked at the moment, so piracy shouldn't really be a concern right now and b) is 2 weeks really enough to protect console sales?

Sound enough but I disagree

A) a more fair assumption is that it will be cracked. Companies don't operate on the assumption that their protection is perfect.

B) The industry has told us time and time again that the first 2-4 weeks of sales are the most important. It's even one of their justifications for using stuff like DRM.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

12. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 15:50 Caveman

Unless this game gets 10s across the board, I'm sticking with the 360 version. As much as I love Splinter Cell, and it's so much better on PC control wise, I can't bring myself to buy the PC version. I have a constant internet connection on my end, so it's no problem, but Ubisoft's DRM servers are lousy. Also, it doesn't help that the PC version will cost the same as the console version.  

11. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 14:53 Evil Timmy

To paraphrase Twain, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and press releases."  

10. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 14:33 ASeven

You know, they said the same exact thing about ACII delays and we all saw how true that excuse was, right?  

9. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 14:26 Mac

Bollocks ....  

8. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 12:42 Bumpy

necrosis wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 09:51:
No. It is because they don't want PC sales cutting into console sales.

This sounds most likely the case but this assumes the console version makes more profit per copy. Not sure that is the case.

Speaking of copy, looking forward to the 360 cracked version to come out on the usual warez sites pretty soon.

7. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 11:14 spindoctor

Verno wrote on Apr 1, 2010, 09:54:
No. It is because they don't want it potentially pirated during console sales.

This sounds like a plausible reason but a) their DRM is uncracked at the moment, so piracy shouldn't really be a concern right now and b) is 2 weeks really enough to protect console sales? Companies like Capcom delay their pc games by 6 months to protect their sales.

A 2 week delay is really quite short. Given that developers work in crunch mode right at the end combined with the fact that the PC version is worked on last (after the console versions have gone for certification), it really is possible they couldn't meet their deadlines. Better than releasing it unfinished I suppose, although it's possible that still might happen anyway

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 10:37 kimbambaman

So there.

LOL.

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

5. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 10:30 Prez

I think it's because they're morons.

Never a bad guess where Ubisoft is concerned.

I am soooo disappointed that I won't be buying SC Conviction because of the DRM. The idea of a really pissed off Sam Fisher taking out his angst on bad guys totally floats my boat.

Maybe Ubisoft will wise up someday, and I can play it then.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 10:20 StaTik

wow you think they took notes on there bugfest release of Silent Hunter 5? .......... naaa It's UBI so it must be sales motivated.  

3. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 10:15 Dmitri_M

I think it's because they're morons.  

2. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 09:54 Verno

No. It is because they don't want it potentially pirated during console sales.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

1. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 09:51 necrosis

No. It is because they don't want PC sales cutting into console sales.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo