Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes

The Ubisoft Forums have numerous posts from gamers in Australia beginning before last weekend complaining of difficulties playing Settlers 7 due to difficulties accessing Ubisoft's "always on" DRM servers, which are apparently not always on. There are discussions of various workarounds, but nothing that seems to get consistent results. Thanks Games On Net.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Apr 1, 2010, 06:17 Shadowcat

I'm yet to have an issue playing the game or logging into the servers.
I've had absolutely no problems with the DRM either. [...] As usual, people are blowing this DRM thing out of proportion.
I don't think anyone ever claimed that this system would be a nightmare for every single customer. Statistically it will probably work for most of the people most of the time. Congratulations -- thus far, at least, you are both members of that set. But it doesn't take a genius to see that a system which requires continuous internet access absolutely WILL fail for some of the people some of the time, and if that required access is for as arbitrary a reason as this, it isn't surprising that many of us are shutting our wallets to Ubisoft and EA (who have launched pretty much the same system with Command and Conquer 4).

The people I feel really sorry for are the customers who don't follow gaming news, or simply don't comprehend the issue, and encounter the problem completely unexpectedly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Apr 1, 2010, 01:42 Creston

Ruffiana wrote on Mar 31, 2010, 18:00:
I hope Ubisoft bites the fucking bucket because of this bullshit. People pay money for your fucking games, and they're UNABLE to play their game because of your retarded DRM.

How has this not turned into a giant lawsuit yet? (here in the US anyways.)

God help us if people can start suing for disruption of services. Every time there was bad weather, we'd be suing the shit out of satellite television, cable, internet or phone services, electricity. Every time a flight was canceled because of mechanical problems, we'd sue the airlines. Roads closed because of ice or snow, sue the city.

Your analogy is flawed. I can't receive TV WITHOUT a satellite. I can't get phone signals WITHOUT a satellite. I can't get electricity WITHOUT a power company.

I can sure as fuck play SINGLE PLAYER games WITHOUT having internet access. Unless that game is bought from Ubisoft.

I do think this is a good time to start lobbying for standardization of how DRM is described on game packaging, so that people understand what might be required to actually play a game they've bought and hopefully can make more informed decisions about whether or not they're comfortable with the particular copy protection that game uses.

Yeah, because lobbying always gets so much done for the people...

Creston

35. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 23:17 Frijoles

Ruffiana wrote on Mar 31, 2010, 21:27:
Right, I would agree with this if it were working in the manner that Ubisoft expected it to. But it doesn't. It's a disruption of their service, no different than heavy clouds blocking your satellite TV reception.

More like your TV works fine, but one station doesn't. I can easily see a class action lawsuit here. The game says that a constant internet connection is required. Okay, let's say I have one. Game still doesn't work. That's not my problem anymore, that's theirs. If they can't keep it up, figure out another way to do it. It's nothing like my shitty connection dropping packets on a regular basis. People having problems can't connect to their auth servers. Again, not their problem.

34. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 22:05 Cutter

Ubisoft with all it's money can't even keep servers going that need a mere 50kbps, so tell me how exactly OnLive is going to triumph here? LOL!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

33. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 21:58 Reactor

Yea I bought AC2 as well and I've had absolutely no problems with the DRM either. And it is a fabulous game to boot. One of the best made in recent times. As usual, people are blowing this DRM thing out of proportion.

I don't know. To me this thing is like ordering a burger and knowing someone has spat in it (or worse). If I''m really, really hungry I may eat that burger. But, right now I'm not that desperate, so I'm happy to call this thing what it is and buy something else.

If you like this food because you can't yet taste the spit, then... enjoy.

32. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 21:44 ASeven

This DRM is an April Fools that never ends.  

31. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 21:27 Ruffiana

I personally hope that a class action lawsuit comes out of this. Itís not the fact that its right for people to sue itís the fact that the product bought is not working as advertised. Iím willing to bet that there is not a disclaimer on the box anywhere stating that this product my suffer connection interruptions and you may be disconnected and your game progress lost.

Thatís the real issue here. Ubishit is pawning a game off that does not work as advertised and to me that is a liability waiting to happen. So yes sue their asses.

Right, I would agree with this if it were working in the manner that Ubisoft expected it to. But it doesn't. It's a disruption of their service, no different than heavy clouds blocking your satellite TV reception.

Suing for that sort of thing would set a really bad precedent. There's this belief that the only way to teach companies lessons is to sue them, but that's not true. If this fiasco impacts their sales, sullies the value of the franchise, gives people bad associations with the brand or publisher...then they will learn a hard lesson.

I do feel that it's up to Ubisoft to correct this problem for their customers who have purchased this game...either by fixing their service, removing the need for it, or offering a refund. But until that avenue has been exhausted, I don't think involving the legal system is warranted or desired.

30. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 21:20 Ruffiana

1. Sell game with crappy DRM
2. DRM fail
3. Hand out free games like candy as compensation

With my 11 years of experience as a Slash.Meme principal analyst I leveraged advanced synergistic procedures to optimize your process for maximum exploitation of IP properties:

1. Hand out free games like candy
2. ???
3. Profit

Theoretically, wouldn't it just be reversing those steps? IE:

2. DRM fail
3. Profit

29. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 21:19 Ruffiana

I realise that a lot of you hate this DRM and I understand your reasons ... though I think that they are blown out of perspective (IMO anyway). This issue with Settlers 7 I can't comment on, but my guess is that it's the way it's been implemented in THAT game is buggy because SH5 works fine.

Of course it's being blown out of proportion. It is the internet.

But really, this is just being used as a jumping off point to rehash the same old DRM vs. Piracy arguements

28. Re: Just Cause 2 Patched Mar 31, 2010, 21:01 Ruffiana

I have no doubt they'll remove the DRM eventually. The question for me is, will I buy these games after that. Ubi is burning bridges that they really didn't have to begin with. As much as I'd love to play this game, I don't want my money going to a company that would do this in the first place.

So what you're saying is you won't buy this game specifically because of the DRM, but even if they removed the DRM you still wouldn't buy it. Why? Because it had DRM and you want to punish them for it? Wouldn't it send a much better message if their sales went up after they removed the DRM from their game?

I think the morale high ground here is to not buy or play the game until it is offered in a manner that you find acceptable...ie, no DRM.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2010, 21:30.

27. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 19:43 Wolfen

I cant really say more then whats already been said. Only that I agree with those against this "type" of drm. Some of us believe DRM is perfectly fine, just don't make it so punishing to the customer, and do the best you can to make it transparent to the paying customer. That's all... that's it. Its been done.  

26. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 19:37 spindoctor

Talisorn wrote on Mar 31, 2010, 18:56:
I'm probably the only dissenting voice out of all of you. I've bought SH5. I'm enjoying it. I'm in Australia. And I'm yet to have an issue playing the game or logging into the servers.

Yea I bought AC2 as well and I've had absolutely no problems with the DRM either. And it is a fabulous game to boot. One of the best made in recent times. As usual, people are blowing this DRM thing out of proportion.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

25. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 19:07 nutshell42

Hey Ubisoft!

Your current sales strategy seems to be:

1. Sell game with crappy DRM
2. DRM fail
3. Hand out free games like candy as compensation

With my 11 years of experience as a Slash.Meme principal analyst I leveraged advanced synergistic procedures to optimize your process for maximum exploitation of IP properties:

2. ???
3. Profit

24. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 18:56 Talisorn

I'm probably the only dissenting voice out of all of you. I've bought SH5. I'm enjoying it. I'm in Australia. And I'm yet to have an issue playing the game or logging into the servers.

I DO play a lot of MMO's so having a constant connection to the net or the the servers doesn't bother me one iota. I'd prefer that than having to constant go fishing around for the disk when I want to play the game and then hope like hell my dodgy DVD drive is working. It's for that reason I get a lot of games from Steam ... well that and their much cheaper than retail.

I realise that a lot of you hate this DRM and I understand your reasons ... though I think that they are blown out of perspective (IMO anyway). This issue with Settlers 7 I can't comment on, but my guess is that it's the way it's been implemented in THAT game is buggy because SH5 works fine.

That's just my opinion anyway. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

23. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 18:55 Darks

I personally hope that a class action lawsuit comes out of this. Itís not the fact that its right for people to sue itís the fact that the product bought is not working as advertised. Iím willing to bet that there is not a disclaimer on the box anywhere stating that this product my suffer connection interruptions and you may be disconnected and your game progress lost.

Thatís the real issue here. Ubishit is pawning a game off that does not work as advertised and to me that is a liability waiting to happen. So yes sue their asses.

Ruffiana wrote on Mar 31, 2010, 18:00:
I hope Ubisoft bites the fucking bucket because of this bullshit. People pay money for your fucking games, and they're UNABLE to play their game because of your retarded DRM.

How has this not turned into a giant lawsuit yet? (here in the US anyways.)

God help us if people can start suing for disruption of services. Every time there was bad weather, we'd be suing the shit out of satellite television, cable, internet or phone services, electricity. Every time a flight was canceled because of mechanical problems, we'd sue the airlines. Roads closed because of ice or snow, sue the city.

I do think this is a good time to start lobbying for standardization of how DRM is described on game packaging, so that people understand what might be required to actually play a game they've bought and hopefully can make more informed decisions about whether or not they're comfortable with the particular copy protection that game uses.

I could see a whole ESRB like industry born out of this.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

22. Re: Settlers 7 Aus DRM Woes Mar 31, 2010, 18:40 derelict koan

Disgraceful. This whole must be connected to the net shit just gives David Icke a +1 credibility modifier. Your move Ubishit.  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

21. Re: Just Cause 2 Patched Mar 31, 2010, 18:20 Frijoles

I have no doubt they'll remove the DRM eventually. The question for me is, will I buy these games after that. Ubi is burning bridges that they really didn't have to begin with. As much as I'd love to play this game, I don't want my money going to a company that would do this in the first place.  

20. Re: Just Cause 2 Patched Mar 31, 2010, 18:17 Kajetan

nin wrote on Mar 31, 2010, 18:08:
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com ...
Hmmm, a new video game crash, this time only hurting the majors, because they grew too big and got lazy and dumb? Sounds familiar. Might happen. Sooner as anyone could imagine ...

18. Re: Just Cause 2 Patched Mar 31, 2010, 18:05 Viranth

Just wait, Ubi till announce a big war on piracy after this. They'll claim the sales were low because so many people pirated it.

They'll say anything to draw people's attention from the real problem.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo