Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Next Console Cycle Could Be The Last, says IBIS Capital. Mar 30, 2010, 15:28 Hanneth

I might point out that bankers said the same thing about consoles about 25 years ago when Atari dominated the business. If anyone believes this they should go read about AC2 and it's problems with online DRM. Consoles aren't going away. Sony is already well into the development of the PS4 and is making plans for the PS5. Nintendo already has plans for the next Wii and you can bet they are already thinking about the next product. Microsoft, well who knows what they are thinking. Let us see here TV got rid of radio didn't it? No? People just don't learn from the past.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2010, 12:30 space captain

I have no problem seeing the console cycles extending to 10 years or so, that actually seems pretty believable considering the current situations. But the "Last"?? Thats fucking ridiculous, just like all those other absolutist predictions that people make when they assume they have absolute knowledge. Nobody has absolute knowledge and the lack of allowance for relativity is evidence of the very lack of knowledge itself. There is a reason people say "never say never" and its a damn good one.

Cutter brings a perfect example: holodecks. Matrix style - plug in your brain to virtual reality, etc. That shit is coming, and you better believe it. Just because grandpa here cant conceive of any sci-fi beyond "the day the earth stood still" doesnt mean nobody else can. And the most obsessed believers of the highest technology are the ones that will bring it in to existence by their own efforts at making it come true.

Heres a tip for you, Scottish: "This too shall pass"

Until you can grasp that, you cant grasp a damn thing.

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2010, 03:03 Cutter

Noone really benefits from new consoles anymore, and the graphics whore market has been collapsing for some time.

Bullshit. People always want the next best thing, and the fact is that anyone with a new vid card and beefy rig looking at the latest PC graphics aginst the 360, PS3, etc. knows that console graphics have been looking dated for a while now and just gets more noticable as time goes by. Of course people want a next-gen now. Hell, they want holodecks now. That's where it ends...holodecks.

Add to which whether consoles become PC lite or not, people will always need PCs for things other than gaming. So unless consoles are going to become lite PCs than they're always going to be losing ground, so just being a pure console does have its major disadvantages - unless the next gen will be upgradeable.

I also think they're off the mark with the next gen consoles saying 2013/14 given that they launhced in 2005. Almost 10 years is far too long between generations. People are already itching for the next gen now. Wait another 3 or 4 years? Doubtful.

Overall they guy really doesn't seem to know what he's talking about in any meaningful way.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2010, 01:07 ASJD

I wouldn't say no consoles for all time, but if the next gen of consoles is as much of a jump as normal and they're as expandable in software as usual I could see it going on 20 years or so.

Noone really benefits from new consoles anymore, and the graphics whore market has been collapsing for some time.

6. Re: Rare Mar 30, 2010, 00:55 Icewind

Really now Rare? That isn't what you said this past January.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/19/rare-no-shortage-of-possibilities-for-revisiting-ip/

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2010, 00:14 Dr. D. Schreber

Well, so much for Killer Instinct 3...  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 29, 2010, 23:07 space captain

i read the article and its a very disconnected speculation to draw that kind of conclusion from the data he cobbles together

im not a director of finance but then again i dont think that translates into "seer" at all, and certainly not in this case

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: no more consoles!!! Mar 29, 2010, 22:43 Scottish Martial Arts

space captain wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 22:10:
i want some of the shit that market analyst is smoking

what the holy hell - "hi there im a bean counter thats never touched a video game in my entire life, so let me tell you how video game technology will play out for the rest of all time"

Did you read the article or just the headline? This beancounter actually makes a pretty compelling argument.

2. Re: no more consoles!!! Mar 29, 2010, 22:10 space captain

i want some of the shit that market analyst is smoking

what the holy hell - "hi there im a bean counter thats never touched a video game in my entire life, so let me tell you how video game technology will play out for the rest of all time"

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Rare says it doesn't need to return to old franchises Mar 29, 2010, 22:05 zirik

thats what they say. but i want them to do another donkey kong country!  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo