Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week

The Heroes of Newerth Facebook Page says open beta testing of this Defense of the Ancients-inspired action/strategy game will begin on March 31 (thanks Big Download). Word is: "The Open Beta date and time has been set. You can visit our countdown at http://www.heroesofnewerth.com Open Beta is set to begin Wednesday, March 31 @ 4:00pm PST."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 30, 2010, 07:27 HappyWulf

Frijoles wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 09:54:
I've only played HoN, and yeah, it sucks. LoL apparently is bad as well, but not as bad.
Sure there are douche bags in ANY game. But I've only had ass-hats in only about 1 in 5 games of LoL (or 3 in 5 on a bad day, just being honest) Most of the time it's only apparent by people who give up too early (Rage quit!). Other times you get children taunting in the text chat, and accusing of feeding.
On the other hand, the other games played in these sessions range from in-jest mockings that are otherwise done in good humor, people saying how close they were from getting killed by you and saying good fight, and i n the best case scenarios you get both teams hanging out in the post-game lobby chatting it up about the battle they just had and how awesome it was with congratulations going all around.
If you're a newbie... play against some easy AI bots... I do this to experiment with new characters and item builds all the time too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 30, 2010, 02:35 Kalthorn

...as shown by #12, #13, and #14.  

15. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 19:44 ch0mp

LoL is focused on the 'casual' crowd as shown by #4. HoN you need to put some effort into if you want to enjoy it.  

14. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 19:02 Deepjay

It's true abou the HoN community - while the game is great, there are a LOT of absolute tossbags playing it. Sure it makes it more enjoyable when you kill them knowing they're an obnoxious little assweed, but it also means you have to go into every game with steeled resolve or they're going to get to you. THAT part can get tiring.  

13. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 13:13 Stormsinger

QFT. I tried the game for about an hour. Now, I wouldn't have anything to do with that group of fuckups (I refuse to call it a community) if someone were to pay me to do so. I really have a hard time understanding how a game company can see this sort of behavior as something worth tolerating. It's virtually impossible to be a success when new customers are run out of town on a rail.
Frijoles wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 09:54:
10 comments and not a word about the shitty community both games have? Amazing. I believe it's been compared to, "Worst community in the online universe ever." I've only played HoN, and yeah, it sucks. LoL apparently is bad as well, but not as bad. A word of warning to anyone trying HoN, the Newbie games are not for Newbies. They're for people who are advanced in the game and want to stomp on newbies and then laugh/bitch about them. If you're looking to join a starter game, join one with a 1500 or so rating requirement. Much much better, and less yelling.

12. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 10:03 Verno

DotA had a lot of obnoxious battle.net folk but I've only had a few unpleasant encounters in HoN so far. In general people are far less tolerant of newbies in competitive games and you can't really get around that unfortunately.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

11. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 09:54 Frijoles

10 comments and not a word about the shitty community both games have? Amazing. I believe it's been compared to, "Worst community in the online universe ever." I've only played HoN, and yeah, it sucks. LoL apparently is bad as well, but not as bad. A word of warning to anyone trying HoN, the Newbie games are not for Newbies. They're for people who are advanced in the game and want to stomp on newbies and then laugh/bitch about them. If you're looking to join a starter game, join one with a 1500 or so rating requirement. Much much better, and less yelling.

10. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 09:04 Verno

Yeah, that's how my friends and I get when we play Starcraft 2 pete, they've basically built a competitive structure into the entire game. I can't really enjoy it as it feels like every match is "ladder". No one wants to play Custom Games yet as the mod tools haven't been released. I don't know, I really dislike the whole structure of making all multiplayer gaming inherently competitive to the point of building leagues into the game.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

9. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 08:01 peteham

I'm not sure what it is, but whenever my friends are playing it, they become super unpleasant, more so than any other game.
Hahaha that sounds awfully familiar. One of my friends turned into such a grinch, and got on my nerves to such an extent during a period of DotA in college, that I basically haven't included him in any of my multiplayer-sessions ever since.. He's a nice guy normally, albeit a bit over-competitive, and man does DotA bring out that trait.... He'd start with the blame-game (or course it was always someone else's fault that his masterful plan failed), and then the silent-treatment on ventrilo to the ridiculous point of refusing to answer even when spoken directly to. But of course neither leaving the game or vent, oh no. Had to stick around to sour the mood and not get penalty points for leaving obviously.

Aaah I'm getting worked up just by reminiscing

8. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 07:13 HappyWulf

peteham wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 06:17:
Wouldn't want to be without this part of the game, personally. Of course it sucks when you get into that occasional game where you go on an endless dieing-streak and get hopelessly far behind both on levels and items for the remainder of the game, but I don't think the game would be the same without it, really.
In LoL, I've played a couple of rather intense matches where my team would make a comeback at the very end, having lost our inner base turrets and our final building only having a few hitpoints left... We'd won because the other team got too cocky and we achieved an 'Ace' (when one team is completely wiped out and they're all waiting to respawn) which gave us enough time to push the creeps back into their base and counter attack. When they respawned we were able to keep them in their base to continue to push until we pulled off a win.
This would never have been able to happen if we'd been losing gold when we died. Keeping what you've earned keeps the game balanced if a game is very close. Even if your team is 5-10 kills behind, a comeback is still possible.
Also, if your team has lost one of your inner buildings that makes the other team's creeps get stronger if it's destroyed, and you're able to survive, then that building will respawn after something like 3-5 minutes, allowing you to bring your focus back to being on the offensive again as you recoup your losses.

There is 1 thing that you lose when dieing... There are 3 items that give you buffs every time you make a kill or get an assist. These buffs stack up to 20 times, and you get 2 stacks for a kill, and 1 for an assist. If you die, you lose 1/3rd of these stacked buffs... But you have to have the items that grant them. The upshot is that these items are very very cheap, and can grant stat boots that are greater then some of the more expensive items available... they also come with a secondary buff if you manage to cap it out at 20 stacks.
If you like the dynamic of risk vs reward from dieing, then use these items. The flavors come in +HP, +AP(spell power), and +Atk damage.

Also the shop is SUPER intuitive, easy to navigate, and very clean and helpful. You'll learn all the possible item combination in no time because of how well it's made. Click on an item and it immediately shows you all the combos it can be used in, and you can buy the item right there from one of the combo lists... you don't have to go hunting for it like in HoN. Even the icon designs are much better then HoN, they're clear, simple, representative, and you can tell other people what to look for and they'll be able to find it even if it's their first time playing the game. "Look for the Blue Tear Drop... get that, it'll give you a big mana buff. You'll find it in the Mana section."

Also, i like the graphics. =3 They're more FUN. and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

7. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 06:27 NKD

Tomas wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 06:18:
Frankly I don't much care for these types of games, but everyone I know who likes them is loving HoN and bugs me ad nauseam to play it with them.

Had to put this in here; it was starting to sound like a LoL shills' festival.

That's my experience as well. Everyones always begging me to play HoN, but before this thread I had never even heard of "LoL." That said, Im not going to be playing either any time soon. I'm not sure what it is, but whenever my friends are playing it, they become super unpleasant, more so than any other game.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 06:18 Tomas

Frankly I don't much care for these types of games, but everyone I know who likes them is loving HoN and bugs me ad nauseam to play it with them.

Had to put this in here; it was starting to sound like a LoL shills' festival.

5. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 06:17 peteham

The fact that you LOSE gold when you die
While I haven't played LoL and as such can't really comment on it, I keep seeing this particular argument brought up in LoL vs HoN discussions and it always surprises me. I've always found gold-loss to a tremendous tension-builder just like it is/was in DotA. It really dictates your strategy. Should you get a cheaper beginner item or risk going for one of the more high-end ones? It also heavily forces your playing style at various points in the game when you're approaching one of the higher price-points.

Wouldn't want to be without this part of the game, personally. Of course it sucks when you get into that occasional game where you go on an endless dieing-streak and get hopelessly far behind both on levels and items for the remainder of the game, but I don't think the game would be the same without it, really.

That said, I probably should give LoL a try.

4. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 05:52 HappyWulf

I hate to be an echo here, but LoL really is much much MUCH better. I could drone on as to why... but here's just a few things...

The first thing you notice is how awful the shop is set up. It's confusing and convoluted. The character's abilities have no 'oomph' to them, and many more things feel likewise 'watered down'. The fact that you LOSE gold when you die... Sure, you're opponent gets money when they kill you, that's part of the game. But why do you also have to lose money? That's just broken right there. The Unreal voice announcer is beyond annoying. To put that part in perspective, it's much less annoying when the female voice in LoL exclaims in a slightly surprised, but not over-the-top tone, "Aced!"... Compared to M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL! I play LoL with the camera locked to me, so it follows me when I move.... this option does not even exist in HoN, and it made the game nearly unplayable when I went back to it. Say what you want about HoN having more characters, but LoL had 40 at launch and was more then enough! Then add into that they've started a habit of releasing another new character on every major patch, once every 3-6 weeks. LoL is nearing 50 characters now.

I'd also like to mention that I've played HoN a long while ago in an earlier form, and much more recently as of about a month ago. When I played it again just recently I took note of all these things that made me feel like HoN was the biggest pile of steaming dog crap that I'd ever given the benefit of a second chance.

I've been playing LoL since early and late beta, and since it's official 'launch' I play almost daily.
Also, I like the way LoL has done it's pricing.... FREE with the option to purchase characters with cash OR time-played points. And cosmetic-only costumes. As well as bundles at a nice cheap budget game price to unlock a chunk (or almost all) of the characters at the start. 10 free characters per week so you can try them all out to eventually find the ones you like and play well with so you know where you want to spend your time-played points at for free unlocks.
I like the fact that they leave giving Riot money for support of their game entirely up to you. Because of this gesture of good will and their superior game, I've already given Riot $90 I think. They deserve it. I've given LoL more time and have had more fun with it then any other game in years.

I also own Demigod, which had a good release, but just feels hashed together now and lacks much substance after having been playing LoL for the last half-year.

Finally, I want to admit that when I played LoL in it's early beta I felt it was horribly unbalanced and broken. When I gave IT it's 2nd chance it did nothing but please. What I'd felt were overpowered 'ultimates' were brought down to a more manageable level with less 1-hit kill power to them, and less restricting cool downs to compensate.

3. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 02:26 starmonkey

Always wanted to try out HoN, but LoL scratched that itch nicely  

2. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 02:25 Deepjay

League of Legends is actually better...if you like crap games. If you don't, HoN's your huckleberry.  

1. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 28, 2010, 21:16 RaZ0r!

League of Legends is better.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo