Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life Pulse Detected

A post on Computer and Video Games talking with Valve's Gabe Newell actually touches upon Half-Life, the shooter series that has not been mentioned very often lately. They quote an Edge magazine article where Newell discusses the series, saying: "I feel like we've gotten away from genuinely scaring the player more than I'd like, and it's something we need to think about, in addition to broadening the emotional palette we can draw on." He doesn't actually mention Half-Life 2: Episode 3 by name.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 19:38 Jerykk

I would love for them to go in a totally new direction and make a game without Gordon set in the HL universe during the portal storm. A average mope with horror/gameplay la Penumbra.

That would be pretty sweet but it's not going to happen. HL is an established shooter series and I can't think of any shooters that were turned into survival-horror.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 17:45 scorpius

The best part of HL1 imho was the alien design and especially the interaction in the Xen world, together with black mesa it really gave me an out of place feeling which provoked both curiosity and caution. For me it makes HL1 still hands down the best game in the franchise.

HL2 and the episodes are still quite good, but they never delivered the alien feeling or an out of place feeling which I liked to much about HL1.

I guess I am just a sucker for alien stuff

20. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 15:54 Sepharo

I would love for them to go in a totally new direction and make a game without Gordon set in the HL universe during the portal storm. A average mope with horror/gameplay la Penumbra.  

19. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 14:56 Ratty

Half-Life 2 had too much outdoor action for my taste. In contrast to Half-Life's mostly indoor settings. As for scaring the player, I was disappointed HL2 went for the very tired pitch black, flashlight batteries only last a minute style cheap scares. It annoyed the hell out of me and when I replay I just skip that stupid part. Ravenholme was superb and I hope that's what they're aiming for, not Doom 3 monster closets and more annoying pitch black settings.  

18. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 11:38 Beamer

The Ravenholm section in Half-Life 2 was pretty much horror themed and in terms of scaring the player I think Valve did a really good job with the zombies. In particular, the poison headcrab zombie stood out with its ability to totally creep me out. In fact, I think I had nightmares about that thing at one stage.

I got very, very tired of the zombies in HL2:E1, though. They weren't balanced out by other enemies. Just all zombie all the time.

As someone mentioned, you can't be overly scared as Gordon, but that's a good thing. The twist between HL and HL2 that Gordon became an international celebrity was pretty awesome. I hope they carry on with that rather than destroy it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 11:09 Aero

To me, what HL2 lacked wasn't really horror so much as it was mystery. HL1 had a great combination of mystery, action and exploration. In that sense, the franchise is spent, at least as far as recapturing the feeling of the first one is concerned.

I'd like to see them take the same basic concept as the first one, and start over with a new IP. I think this could work pretty well. I would say that 75% of what made HL1 great (and most all of what made HL2 good) had nothing to do with the concept, but Valve's skill at execution.

16. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 11:08 cronik

The Ravenholm section in Half-Life 2 was pretty much horror themed and in terms of scaring the player I think Valve did a really good job with the zombies. In particular, the poison headcrab zombie stood out with its ability to totally creep me out. In fact, I think I had nightmares about that thing at one stage.  

15. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 10:46 Ahumado

Oh Gabe....You are such an artist :-) !!!

You have effected me greatly...You make me wanna puke and barf

Perhaps you should recalibrate

14. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 10:27 Dmitri_M

Perhaps he meant "awing the player".  

13. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 10:08 Ray Marden

I'm jut concerned by his vague wording - I don't look back at HL1 and think "I really loved the scare in that game."

I just hope they do something with this once-franchise, though. HL2 was a very good game, but I still have a lot of issues with it as a continuation or evolution from HL1 with regards to the story and world.

As for HL3 being episodes one through three, where to start? The delays? The inconsistency? Repetitive story? The fact that we still don't have the third one and nobody is publicly talking abot it? Lack of cohesion between releases?

If I were to explain Half-Life to a non-gamer, I could completely convey HL1, but HL2 would make some huge leaps I wouldn't necessarily have answers for (unless you cound "'cuz that's how it is now.") And for HL3.1 and 3.2, I'd really just be explaining how I was running all over the place just because.

I hope they either kill off Ep3 of just push some crap out of the door so they can work on a true sequel. And if they have zero passion for the franchise, I would actively encourage them to sell it off or hand it out to somebody that does.
But maybe they are? LFD2 can't possibly require the entire company.
Thinking Stephen hasn't put on his suit and used his crowbar in some time ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

12. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 09:02 Bucky

Valve has yet to make a game that is less than great, in my opinion. I think Gabe has earned the right to say whatever he wants and take as long as he wants, because in the end not one Valve game has disappointed me. Finished product speaks louder than any PR session.  

11. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 02:39 Rigs

The only 'horror/scary' themed part of the original HL2 was in Ravenholm and I always thought that it could have been left out of HL2 altogether. It just didn't fit. The enemies weren't that inspired and it just felt tacked on, much like the 2 hour boating trip you take to get out of the city. It just went on and on and on...I remember the first time through HL2, I thought I had made a wrong turn somewhere during the boating areas because they all looked about the same and had the same style gameplay. I was just sure I was going in circles...

No, please don't get your horror/survival crap in my 'real-world' action FPS, Valve...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

10. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 02:15 Beamer

HL2 and HL2:E2 were focused on humanity. They were awesome.
HL2:E1 was focused on horror. It was pretty bad.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 02:11 Narf2029

I stopped caring about a new Half Life years ago. I figure I win no matter what happens, since if one never comes out I may not even notice and if one does come out I'll be pleasantly surprised.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

8. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 01:44 Nucas

Pigeon wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 00:26:
Come HL2 you're Gordon Freeman fucking force of nature, so bad ass some crazy alien had to keep you in suspended animation until he decides to unleash you on his enemies. And then mow through countless monsters, super-troops and giant bug mechas until you end up blowing up an entire city in a massive explosion. Things felt tense as Gordon in HL2 but never scary because you're Gordon Freeman Destroyer of Worlds.

on monday i single handedly repelled an extensive military incursion, invaded an alternate dimension and slew an alien race's supreme commander. the on tuesday...

7. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 00:26 Pigeon

So long as Gordon Freeman is the main character, you'll never be scared anymore. In HL1 you're Gordon Freeman hapless nerd PhD that gets caught in the middle of a shit storm full of monsters aliens and black-ops and they all want to kill you. Most of the time you're just trying to get the fuck out of there. There were some scary moments, as fit the character.

Come HL2 you're Gordon Freeman fucking force of nature, so bad ass some crazy alien had to keep you in suspended animation until he decides to unleash you on his enemies. And then mow through countless monsters, super-troops and giant bug mechas until you end up blowing up an entire city in a massive explosion. Things felt tense as Gordon in HL2 but never scary because you're Gordon Freeman Destroyer of Worlds.

6. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 26, 2010, 23:54 tskiller

So they want to "scare" the player?

Wow, I can't wait to stumble around unlit corridors without enough ammo waiting for an elevator to come down 90 flights, while dealing with a retarded AI companion, and a zerg rush of zombies.

oh wait...

5. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 26, 2010, 23:47 SM0k3

Sounds like he wants to take it back to Half-Life 1 being that it was more suspenseful than HL2 and if that's is the case I don't blame him since I more so enjoyed the feeling/experience of the first one.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2010, 12:49.

4. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 26, 2010, 23:43 entr0py

I tend to think that releasing sequels too frequently that are too similar often just makes the franchise dull and less appealing. I don't mind if they wait until they come up with something good and genuinely new. In fact it's preferable to spending all their time on expansion packs.

I also think the TF and L4D franchises are played out and need some time to cool off. I'm looking forward to Portal 2, and honestly I'd like to see them do a completely new game after that.

3. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 26, 2010, 23:34 ASJD

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2010, 22:41:
Well, if Valve isn't going to do it, give it to someone who'd love to. Jesus christ, Gabe!

OK then, Ubisoft!

Tom Clancy's Half Life 3 - Winter 2010
Tom Clancy's Half Life 4 - Winter 2011
Tom Clancy's Half Life Future Soldier - Winter 2012

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo