Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews

An embargo obviously just expired. Rather than save them for tomorrow, here goes:

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Nov 9, 2010, 12:01 stefanbanev

>10-folds compared to CPU.

I've seen quite opposite; to be more specific HDVR running on dual X5650 outperforms at least 10x any GPU setup (irrelevantly it's CUDA or not) within the same price range. May be there is some secretive GPU VR development I've missed; it would be my pleasure to bench the GPU VR engine you have referenced; pls contact stefanbanev at yahoo.com.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 30, 2010, 11:27 MTechnik

The PC Warrior wrote on Mar 28, 2010, 22:37:
did you even bother to read? they cant compete on price, they cant pare down the design without huge performance sacrifices and ati has a refresh coming in six months. none of that is good for the consumer, this is like the ati radeon 2900 or geforce mx all over again.

I'd still rather have NVidia keep trying than pull out, a la Matrox.

33. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 30, 2010, 09:42 Verno

XFX just revealed they won't even be putting out any Fermi based cards. There are some rumors that other card makers aren't happy either.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

32. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 28, 2010, 22:37 The PC Warrior

did you even bother to read? they cant compete on price, they cant pare down the design without huge performance sacrifices and ati has a refresh coming in six months. none of that is good for the consumer, this is like the ati radeon 2900 or geforce mx all over again.  

31. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 28, 2010, 22:28 MTechnik

So NVidia comes out, and even tho it runs hotter and eats more power, they are able to take the single card crown. Presumably also the SLI/Crossfire crown. ATI has a better heat handling, and still VERY good cards. Unless NVidia has yield problems, the winners will be US.

After a lot of bad press I was worried about a completely uncompetitive generation from NVidia. Looks like it will be tight again, and prices will fall in the next 6-9 months, making really powerful cards really cheap. (just when I get tired of my 260's)

30. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 28, 2010, 14:30 wtf_man

LittleMe wrote on Mar 28, 2010, 01:25:
Don't forget that not only are the new nV cards using a lot more juice and hotter, they're also a lot noisier. That's a huge issue for me.

The heat is the biggest issue, to me... even though I run liquid cooled.

For Air Cooled... during summer with high ambient temps, the GTX 480 will probably start malfunctioning. A buddy of mine had this issue (twice RMA'd) with an EVGA GTX 280... and that runs cooler than the GTX 480.

For Liquid Cooled... it would mean I'd have to not overclock my CPU as much since the system cools both the GPU and CPU... or I'd have to get a separate liquid cooling system for the CPU... which I'm not going to do.

29. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 28, 2010, 01:25 LittleMe

Am I the only person seeing quite good benchmarks? There seems to be a lot of negativity here for a card which appears to take the market leader spot. Granted it's not a huge increase, and the temperature and power usage does look a bit scary, but it does push pixels faster than any other single GPU. In terms of performance/price it's poor but then the top of the line stuff generally is.

Don't forget that not only are the new nV cards using a lot more juice and hotter, they're also a lot noisier. That's a huge issue for me.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

28. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 23:04 Dev

zirik wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 18:44:
it is sad now that consoles dictate the release schedule of AAA titles. hardware manufacturers feel no need to push the envelope as much since they will have to follow the 10 year life cycle of consoles.
This ^.

This is why we don't see as much innovation anymore graphically as we used to. PC's don't drive the gaming market in general anymore, and consoles (except when they first come out) usually are outdated compared to PCs. They might throw a few extra easy to do features on a PC version, like increased AA, increased resolutions, increased textures (if the original textures were higher than they released on consoles) to suck up some of the extra processing power, but its becoming more and more rare to see a game made that uses up all the processing power of a modern high end graphics card (unless the game was very poorly optimized). I mean nowadays you can run on rediculous resolutions (3000x1200 or larger) with max graphical detail on most games released in the last couple years.

I'd actually prefer they concentrate more on great gameplay, but thats becoming worse and worse (generally) because the companies are making games for lowest common denominator, the console market.

27. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 18:44 zirik

Shataan wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 11:49:
I remember back in the day when we had loads of AAA titles being released on a regular timely basis, and the games drove the cards. Now? We have very few DX 11 games, and all we hear about is what card is more powerful.

ah the good old days of PC gaming. it was fun while it lasted. quake started it for me when they released a glide version for the voodoo cards. it is sad now that consoles dictate the release schedule of AAA titles. hardware manufacturers feel no need to push the envelope as much since they will have to follow the 10 year life cycle of consoles.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2010, 19:01.

26. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 16:00 Dev

Quboid wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 09:26:
Am I the only person seeing quite good benchmarks? There seems to be a lot of negativity here for a card which appears to take the market leader spot. Granted it's not a huge increase, and the temperature and power usage does look a bit scary, but it does push pixels faster than any other single GPU. In terms of performance/price it's poor but then the top of the line stuff generally is.

Is the underwhelming response because the cards are poor, or because the card isn't as great as expected?
Probably because its $500 for a 10% or so increase. Hey, if you want to buy me the card I'd be happy with it But I'm not going to shell out that much of my own money for that

In the past there have been times when the new chip tech came out from nvidia or ATI and have taken the top spot with a 30% or 50% increase. Thats much much more impressive.

25. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 14:37 wtf_man

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 12:30:
So I was wondering something. Does anyone have any knowledge on the benefits of CUDA? NVIDIA's been really hyping this lately and I'm probably going to be getting into video editing with Premiere this year. Does it really result in significant performance improvements or is it relatively marginal? I've been enjoying ATI for quite some time and I know they're supposedly working on their own version of CUDA but no one really supports it yet. Is CUDA even worth considering or should I just throw a better CPU at Premiere instead?

GPU Accelerated Transcoding is tons faster than a CPU.

That said, you don't specifically need CUDA... it can be done with OpenCL and other APIs that utilize GPGPU.

You also don't need a heavy gaming card... Leadtek makes a specialized card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815122015
that basically is a budget Geforce card with the spurs engine and Cuda acceleration.

A review is here:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1590

Basically you can get a specialty card like that... or use Badaboom with a Higher end Cuda enabled gaming card.

24. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 14:30 Jay

CUDA is basically parallel computing cranked up to the max. I've seen some demos that speed up 3D volume rendering more than 10-fold compared to CPU. I think a lot of software companies are afraid of getting into it because 1. it's only supported on Nvidia cards. 2. they're afraid that two different GPUs will give two different results. 3. it's difficult to code with limited access to memory.
If Premiere supports CUDA for compression/fx/any cpu intensive task, you'll probably see huge benefits.

23. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 13:02 The PC Warrior

Beamer wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 11:43:
I think people are overreacting heavily here.

TSMC 32nm shrink was pulled right off the schedule, now 28nm is at least a year off. if nvidia cuts anywhere else, they lose performance and they cant afford that. this is a total disaster and youre just an apologist if you really think this doesnt affect normal people. most of us normal people want affordable videocards and we cant get those if nvidia keeps screwing up or trying to bolster their old big GPU design paradigm. monolithic videocard design is dead, they need to adopt ATIs method of designing upward.

22. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 12:38 AnarKane

I'll stick with my GeForce 9400 for now.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

21. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 12:31 RocketChef

Rigs wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 03:27:
System 2 (built Nov. 2009) - Gigabyte P55M-UD2/F6_Intel Core i5-750_2gb Kingston DDR3_Radeon HD5770 1gb_Intel X-25 40gb SSD_Maxtor 200gb_LiteOn iHAS324Y DVD-RW_ANTEC 650w PSU_Thermaltake LANBOX Lite
The question here is: Why do you need a 650W psu for a system that is consumptioning approx. between 250 and 300W max? The rest seems picked fine...

20. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 12:30 Parallax Abstraction

So I was wondering something. Does anyone have any knowledge on the benefits of CUDA? NVIDIA's been really hyping this lately and I'm probably going to be getting into video editing with Premiere this year. Does it really result in significant performance improvements or is it relatively marginal? I've been enjoying ATI for quite some time and I know they're supposedly working on their own version of CUDA but no one really supports it yet. Is CUDA even worth considering or should I just throw a better CPU at Premiere instead?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

19. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 12:29 jam777

WTF cares what card is more gutzy? Without a crapload of games to showcase the cards hp, it is all pretty moot imo.

Agreed.

18. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 11:49 Shataan

I remember back in the day when we had loads of AAA titles being released on a regular timely basis, and the games drove the cards. Now? We have very few DX 11 games, and all we hear about is what card is more powerful.

WTF cares what card is more gutzy? Without a crapload of games to showcase the cards hp, it is all pretty moot imo. Now we are paying upwards of 600 to 700 bucks to play very few dx 11 games, and by the time more finally arrive, 2 more Next Gen vid card offerings are already out.

Makes sense right? All well and good if? If there are loads of AAA dx 11 games. And we prolly gotta wait 2 years for that.

17. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 11:43 Beamer

I think people are overreacting heavily here.

For one, the top graphics card always costs more than its performance dictates. Historically you've always paid for performance up to about the top 80% then started paying exponentially more per added fps.

For another, one of these two manufacturers had almost always been playing catch-up. It's only recently they've been neck-and-neck.

The bottom line is Nvidia took a huge risk. It's not quite ready, but further down the line Fermi ought to be cheaper, use less electricity and really blow standard GPU solutions out of the water.

I wouldn't recommend anyone other than the huge graphics freaks buy one of these, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else buy a 5970, either. Consider this like that - it's a high end card launch. The lower end cards will trickle in.

The only reasons for concern are that ATI can probably match this traditionally, and Nvidia has no middle-end cards to compete and fill that sales hole at the moment. They need something to keep them going until the next Fermi revision towards the end of the year.

Nothing to see here for normal people yet. But, again, same with the 5970.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 10:09 Quboid

I've been unaware of any hype or smack talk*, all I knew is that the 480 and 460 were imminent so I probably had much lower expectations - considering I didn't even know the name of the lower end model, obviously I wasn't very clued up. If people were expecting this Fermi to shake up the world, then I guess these results are pretty poor.

I just had a quick look at some real world pricing - 480 for 450, 470 for 320, compared to a 5870 for 315 and a 5850 for 225. Ouch for nVidia, if I was shopping now I'd definitely get a 58x0. My C2D 3.3Ghz is holding up my 260 anyway so it's moot point for me.

(* from the very suitably named Hot Hardware: "the launch of NVIDIA's next-generation GPU architecture codenamed Fermi, a.k.a. GF100, is one of the most highly anticipated in our industry, ever" - it looks like I did miss a lot of hype as I'd never heard of it!)

- Quboid

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo