Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

F.3.A.R. Revealed?

A post on NeoGAF shows a Spanish magazine page with some art seeming to promote F.3.A.R., which appears to be the 'leet-ified title of the third installment in Monolith's overly punctuated F.E.A.R. series of horror-themed first-person shooters. The accompanying text translates to "next issue," so presumably more light will be shed on this soon. Thanks Kotaku.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 29, 2010, 23:26 FreonTrip

PHJF wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 23:48:
And the levels were awful. Other than the school, which was all right (and in the demo, who'd a thunk), the only thing I remember about FEAR2 was the god-awful industrial level that was nothing but a million shades of brown.

So you're saying that they ripped off Quake 4?

God, I loved the first FEAR - probably as much as any FPS I'd played since System Shock 2. The storytelling was exceptionally paced and engaging, the audio work was out of this world, it didn't hurt that it was pretty, and I liked the artistic direction an awful lot. If the environments began to feel similar after a while, it was at least consistently realistic and lacking in the contrived "combat environment" scenarios so abused in older shooters.

The FEAR 2 demo was all right, but I was unimpressed by the brighter color scheme and some artistic choices made, and honestly turned off by the console-friendly allowances. Deliberately avoiding spoilers is the only way I can enjoy games any more; the hype machine always ends up giving away too much info, so I still don't know all that much about it. As it's down to $20 now I'll snag it in a few weeks, but I'm not expecting it to knock my socks off like the first.

Let's hope F3AR goes in the right direction.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 25, 2010, 11:44 siapnar

Stolk wrote on Mar 25, 2010, 01:52:
I would expect it will be quite some time before we see a 33rd Assassins Creed.
lol

I have projectile dysfunction.

29. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 25, 2010, 08:53 The Half Elf

Anyone remember TR2N before it was renamed TRON Legacy?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

28. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 25, 2010, 05:45 Nucas

fear 2's combat really paled next to the first one, namely because the fucking god they had coding ai got another job in the interim between games. otherwise i thought it was pretty decent, definitely worth the 20 bucks i paid for it. fantastic atmosphere, they really honed their craft between fear and condemned. the ending made me feel dirty. rather looking forward to round 3.  

27. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 25, 2010, 01:52 Stolk

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 19:27:
Hey, it could be worse, you could be a fan of the Thi4f series.

What's next? Unchart3d?
Assassins Cr33d?
BF: Bad Compan3?
Half-Lif3?

Hey, maybe BioSh3ck. This time I'll play as the paranormal wet girl

I would expect it will be quite some time before we see a 33rd Assassins Creed.

26. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 24, 2010, 23:48 PHJF

Huge fan of the first, hated the second. The combat feels distinctly last-generation and combat more than anything is what made FEAR FEAR. The presentation was also terribly unimpressive.

And the levels were awful. Other than the school, which was all right (and in the demo, who'd a thunk), the only thing I remember about FEAR2 was the god-awful industrial level that was nothing but a million shades of brown.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 24, 2010, 23:42 mag

^Thanks. It looks like it's $20 now, so maybe I will check it out.  

24. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 24, 2010, 23:19 Creston

mag wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 16:35:
Creston: I loved FEAR, and never got around to FEAR 2 because of all of the negativity it got. Do you think it was all unwarranted?

Some of it, yeah. It's a good shooter, much in the vein of the first. The story's pretty good, there's some good scary moments in it, and it's got VERY nice level design.

It's not as good as the first one, but since a lot of people see the first one as perhaps the finest pure shooter ever made, that was a lot to live up to.

There's some consolitis going on in it, but all in all I still enjoyed it a lot.

Creston

23. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 24, 2010, 21:58 StingingVelvet

Say what you will about FEAR 2 but it has better level design. Much better level design, really.

The combat was not quite as good, but still good I thought. Graphics and scares were where it really fell behind.

I loved FEAR 2 though, look forward to 3.

22. Re: Quit making the wrong one! Mar 24, 2010, 21:41 mag

Shataan wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 18:51:
I liked very little of the 1st FEAR. It had awesome fire effects, character design and A.I., sound, and the bullet time effect. That was it. These things were exceptionally well done considering it was Monolith.

Level design? All inside in featureless cement hallways/ducts. Scaffolding etc etc etc. Story? lolol Squad assault team against a paranormal wet girl? I guess that is what sells. But ya coulda fooled me. ;p

The levels were sucky and the variety of enemies was sucky. Buuut, the actual game-part of the game, in which you bullet-timed your way through smart enemies and stuck them to walls with a nailgun was damn fun. And the scary girl was suitably scary.

I didn't like the end of the game, but you can't have everything.

21. Re: Quit making the wrong one! Mar 24, 2010, 21:03 wtf_man

Shataan wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 18:51:
I liked very little of the 1st FEAR. It had awesome fire effects, character design and A.I., sound, and the bullet time effect. That was it. These things were exceptionally well done considering it was Monolith.

Level design? All inside in featureless cement hallways/ducts. Scaffolding etc etc etc. Story? lolol Squad assault team against a paranormal wet girl? I guess that is what sells. But ya coulda fooled me. ;p

This.

I thought FEAR was meh, and never bothered with FEAR 2.

Come to think of it... I don't think I've cared for any of Monolith's games, but I admit I haven't played them all. I felt the same way about NOLF, NOLF2, AVP2, and TRON2.0. IMO they are a very mediocre studio.

/shrug

20. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 24, 2010, 20:14 PHJF

I'm still pissed off about Se7en.

That DOESN'T WORK.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 24, 2010, 19:38 Ruffiana

5w337!!  

18. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 24, 2010, 19:27 Tanto Edge

Hey, it could be worse, you could be a fan of the Thi4f series.

What's next? Unchart3d?
Assassins Cr33d?
BF: Bad Compan3?
Half-Lif3?

Hey, maybe BioSh3ck. This time I'll play as the paranormal wet girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

17. Re: Quit making the wrong one! Mar 24, 2010, 18:51 Shataan

16. Re: Quit making the wrong one! Mar 24, 2010, 18:09 siapnar

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 17:42:
Definitely up for a real sequel to Blood,
Ray
Oh yes, this too.

I wouldn't be so opposed to a third FEAR sequel if the second game had actually felt like a sequel to the first.

I only played the FEAR 2 demo, and I'd had enough.

When I played the demo for FEAR, I was dying for more.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2010, 18:16.

15. Re: Quit making the wrong one! Mar 24, 2010, 18:05 siapnar

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 17:07:
Bitches get back in line SHOGO 2 first!
Fuck

Yes

14. Re: Quit making the wrong one! Mar 24, 2010, 17:42 Ray Marden

MAGIC CLAW!!!!!111111

But yeah...no. NOLF3 please.
And speaking of the Build engine, where is my sequel to Shadow Warrior!
Definitely up for a real sequel to Blood,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

13. Re: F.3.A.R. Revealed? Mar 24, 2010, 17:38 Ray Marden

F2 was a decent shooter, but a bit jumbled together and FAR removed from the quality of the original.

Pointless mech bits, significantly easier combat, an even wonkier story, lackluster boss fights, less impressive graphics (relative to time of release,) heavy handed with scripts, etc.

I loved F.E.A.R., I played it 3 or 4 times and beat it on the highest difficultly, but F2 did not feel like the same game and definitely wasn't remotely memorable.
There was nothing wrong with the game, but it had nothing special.
Having played it the one time and barely recalling it,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

12. Dur, Dur, Dur. Mar 24, 2010, 17:16 Ludomancer

1998 called, they want their internet fad back.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo