Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Violent Game Talk

Computer and Video Games quotes a newspaper article where a "leading psychologist" claims Modern Warfare is "highly addictive" and that games are "one reason we are becoming more violent" as a society. This flies in the face of statistics showing drops in violence rates over the video games era. Interestingly, the shrink involved references consulting with a football (soccer) club, but he does not seem to be as concerned with the tangible violence football matches inspire in fans as the theoretical violence inspired by video games. Thanks Joker961. They also point the way to a clip showing a TV debate on the topic that involves more, frankly, fabricated anti-gaming rhetoric.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 23, 2010, 01:35 BobBob

derelict koan wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 19:17:
I agree, especially since sex addiction cancels out any chance of obesity, I'd be enourmous if it wasn't for all the shagging. Excess ftw.

You burn that many calories shaking your right hand?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 23, 2010, 01:34 Sepharo

\m/  

14. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 23, 2010, 01:26 Narf2029

Anyone remember when rock music was turning us all into Satan's children?  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

13. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 20:40 ldonyo

Yet another babbling blowhard pushing someone's anti-game agenda. This time the nonsense is being spouted in the UK.  

12. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 19:17 derelict koan

Lightning Bug wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 13:04:
If pretend or virtual violence leads to real world violence, then maybe pretend or virtual gluttony leads to obesity (Food Network). If that’s the case we need to get more of those Japanese sex games over here so that we can get the following theory proved.

I agree, especially since sex addiction cancels out any chance of obesity, I'd be enourmous if it wasn't for all the shagging. Excess ftw.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

11. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 18:29 Nucas

do they still pay lip service to this in europe? seems like this is an ambulance chaser about eight years late to the accident.

the last instance i can even recall in america was the shocking coverage of MASS EFFECT - ALIEN SEX SIMULATOR three years ago and even that was a blip. i imagine too many people own x-boxes now to risk calling gamers disgusting monsters anymore.

10. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 17:06 Cutter

Why is C&VG sensationalizing something we know has been proven as BS is the real question?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 14:59 StingingVelvet

PHJF wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 13:34:
In 2004 America's crime rate was roughly the same as in 1970, with the homicide rate being at its lowest level since 1965. Overall, the national crime rate was 4982 crimes per 100,000 residents, down from 4852 crimes per 100,000 residents thirty years earlier in 1974 (-17.6%).

There you go letting facts get in the way of sensationalism.

8. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 14:28 Overon

Remember, that realy scientists go on the record when they make their claims. They are not anonymous. Who is this "leading psychologist"? Where is the data that backsup his statements?

1) Science is not anoonymous.
2) Statements in science have to be backed up by evidence.

That article is a major journalistic fail. It has none of that. Is there a original link where the "leading psychologist" is mentioned by name?

7. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 13:34 PHJF

In 2004 America's crime rate was roughly the same as in 1970, with the homicide rate being at its lowest level since 1965. Overall, the national crime rate was 4982 crimes per 100,000 residents, down from 4852 crimes per 100,000 residents thirty years earlier in 1974 (-17.6%).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 13:04 Lightning Bug

This is almost as bad as the emerging sex addiction epidemic.

If pretend or virtual violence leads to real world violence, then maybe pretend or virtual gluttony leads to obesity (Food Network). If that’s the case we need to get more of those Japanese sex games over here so that we can get the following theory proved.

Pretend or virtual sex leads to real world sex…………yes, let it sink in.

5. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 12:18 siapnar

This is in regards to the video linked in this post:

I want to punch the blond lady in the side of the head.

Not because I've been "corrupted" by playing the likes of Bad Company 2, but because she's a stupid, thick-headed cunt who filters out any opposed information coming into her head, but opens the flood gates and her big mouth when her "opinion" needs release.

Maybe she should stop whatever hobbies she has, since it's obviously turning her into an ignorant, rude bitch.

I have projectile dysfunction.

4. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 12:12 Acleacius

"one reason we are becoming more violent" as a society.
I wonder if it's the fact that intellectually dishonest people like "leading psychologist"'s willing whore themselves out for profit at the expense of social honesty, stablity and wellness?

Nah, never mind, personal profit and power would never factor into something so important as social stability and well being.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 11:12 BobBob

We need less people playing video games and more people joining the military to fight for 'peace'.  

2. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 11:07 bjack

Exactly. This guy in the Ivory Tower forgot about the real world.

1. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 22, 2010, 10:19 Mick

Becoming too violent as a society? Mr. Leading Psychologist should name one generation that has not had a war, perhaps?

While violence is unfortunately ingrained into human existence, I see little evidence that we are any less civilized than our ancestors. Actually quite the opposite.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo