Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties

A post on the Electronic Arts UK Community Forums by DICE's Joe Grant explains that they have removed the ability for players to collect points or communicate via VOIP while dead in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (thanks Voodoo Extreme). For VOIP, word is: "We found occurrences of people running into enemy areas, dying intentionally and using VOIP to notify their team of where the enemy was located." As for posthumous points, they say: "We intentionally removed 'the suicide bomber'. Loading vehicles with C4 and driving them into packed enemy locations to gain points when you die was something we looked at for some time," adding: "We realise people who die bravely fighting to the end also suffer a points loss at this point but it is difficult to separate the two in the current system."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 22, 2010, 19:15 Sepharo

My thoughts exactly Tumbler.

This is a damn joke. Points are rewards for good play! If you, like in your example, throw a grenade and get a kill you did so for usually a good reason. It shouldn't matter if you died while waiting for it to explode.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 22, 2010, 13:55 Tumbler

This seems like a stupid change. I like the fact that I still get my points after I die. I might throw a grenade then get shot, it was nice to still get those points. Or as an engineer you might drop some AT mines, get killed, then see a tank blow up on your mines. Again nice to get those points.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the suicide attack they mention in BFBC2, it's not an issue in the games I play, would prefer they not make this change.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 22, 2010, 13:36 Elessar

Seriously? This is what a million dollar dev company comes up with? All or nothing?

How about putting a 5 sec timer allowing you to acquire the points you've earned just before you died?

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

12. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 22, 2010, 10:03 Verno

In other news, they are going to be nerfing the M60, 1911 and "AA" though they don't explain what exactly AA entails. So if you suck and rely on those weapons then you better start learning something else  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

11. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 22, 2010, 08:34 Shataan

"Goddam exploiters are ruining it for the rest of us."

When are peeps gonna finally realize that it will always be this way? The day a dev team makes a game that can`t be exploited in any way, that will be the day that we see games that are virtually no fun to play, because there will be way too many restrictions.

Blame the players.

What would be cool is if the game itself could know/tell if a peep used an exploit, and could permanently ban that player. Of course this won`t happen. But it`d be cool if it could be done.

10. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 22, 2010, 00:53 finga

Was it really that difficult to at least allow people to get points from anything other than C4 while dead? Here are some legit examples: a fired RPG, grenade, mine, building destruction, tank shell, or just a bit of lag when two people kill each other at the same time (which happens often as hell in this game).

It's not really about the points, it's just about getting that small reward as a consolation for dying. Or about the grim satisfaction of not only getting the kills, but a few piddly points as you hit the ground. Taking those away means that every time you die in a bitter battle, the moment is slightly ruined when you know that the game's kind of punishing you for having died.

And why the hell can't you even type when dead? What previous game was so ruined by that in the past that it seemed like a good idea to take that ability away?

None of this would even matter if the game wasn't such a fucking blast to play...

9. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 22, 2010, 00:37 Sepharo

So even though these points still pop up as indicators they don't get actually added to the scoreboard?

Sweeeeet.

8. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 22, 2010, 00:03 siapnar

n0slet wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 17:51:
I don't care as much about not receiving credit for stuff you've done after you died because ...well you DID die. Why should you get rewards after your dead?

While I was playing tonight, what happened a bunch of times was I'd get a kill and then die immediately after.
The 50 points for killing the dude was recorded, but the +10 headshot, +30 revenge kill and +30 defensive kill were not.

Stuff like that should definitely be recorded since you do earn it while you're alive.

I have projectile dysfunction.

7. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 21, 2010, 23:43 Rigs

Back to BF1942...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

6. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 21, 2010, 22:47 MTechnik

I'll die calling in a mortar strike.

Sure I'd love the points for blowing up the APC and the two dudes inside.

I'm just happy I blew up the APC and the two dudes inside.

Then again, I get objective tunnelvision and sometimes rush to my death. All for the team!

5. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 21, 2010, 19:17 timesten

i play rush mode most of the time, and now that ive fully lvl'd medic, assault and vehicle, i have to do the lame ones, in my opinion, recon and engy. i quickly learned tho, that with a fully demo spec'd recon, i can run up to the box, pump out all 6 c4 packs and blow it to hell. if it's been damaged before, i kill it completely, if not, a second suicide run will do it. i dont kill myself intentionaly, if there is time i will run to a safe distance, but if someone aproaches while i am sans gun, i will just blow us all up... points be damned.

i never looked to see if i was getting points for it, i just giggled and show the people watching me play how awesome it was that i could do that.

4. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 21, 2010, 17:51 n0slet

Guess they don't realize VOIP doesn't even work half the time on servers I've seen at least, not to mention everyone nowadays uses Vent/Teamspeak anyways to do the same thing so it won't exactly stop that much at all.

I don't care as much about not receiving credit for stuff you've done after you died because ...well you DID die. Why should you get rewards after your dead? It's easy enough to level and get all the unlocks in very short time even without those points so I don't see a problem myself. I've been playing 2 hours a night since release and I'm already like level 27 with every unlock possible for awhile now.

3. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 21, 2010, 17:09 Sepharo

Wait, we're going to lose the posthumous Kill Assist, Squad Kill Assist, Critical Kill Assist, Squad Critical Kill Assist, Vehicle Damage, Vehicle Destroyed, and a bunch of others.

Well fuck that.

2. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 21, 2010, 15:15 siapnar

Goddam exploiters are ruining it for the rest of us.

So many times I've filled a bunch of dudes with lead or laid down a great mortar strike and not gained any kill or assist points because I got killed.

One time I laid a mortar strike, and "got" points for vehicle damage, vehicle destroy and 2 kills while I was dead, that obviously did not register.

DICE, if you're going to keep it this way, at least take out the sound and text that indicates you've gained points while you're dead, it's deceiving.

I have projectile dysfunction.

1. Re: Bad Company 2 Posthumous Penalties Mar 21, 2010, 13:51 LittleMe

Cool. Thanks Dice.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo