Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed

Amazon's listing for the PC version of Splinter Cell Conviction now lists an April 27, 2010 release date, a two week delay from the carved in stone April 13 release date announced just last month for the stealth action sequel. This is noted on Big Download, who confirmed this delay with Ubisoft, though they could not get a reason (for this frequently delayed game originally planned for 2007 it may have just be habit).

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 22, 2010, 10:00 Verno

Some people simply don't understand how enjoyment is derived is inherently subjective.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 21, 2010, 22:15 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 20:50:
I can't just pretend it looks crappy because it's different... self-deception, while a human trait, is not my strong suit.

It's not just crappy because it's different. It looks like a mediocre cover-based shooter with extremely streamlined gameplay. You can watch videos of the demo on Youtube and judge for yourself. In terms of presentation, the game is top-notch. In terms of gameplay... not so much.

Maybe I like linear cover-based shooters? I liked Gears of War, I liked Wanted for Christ's sake.

Being a certain genre does not make it bad, is my point. I wish it was Chaos Theory 2 as well, but I can't make it be that, and what it is looks fun, so whatchagonnado?

25. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 21, 2010, 20:50 Jerykk

I can't just pretend it looks crappy because it's different... self-deception, while a human trait, is not my strong suit.

It's not just crappy because it's different. It looks like a mediocre cover-based shooter with extremely streamlined gameplay. You can watch videos of the demo on Youtube and judge for yourself. In terms of presentation, the game is top-notch. In terms of gameplay... not so much.

24. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 21, 2010, 15:54 StingingVelvet

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 08:31:
I live in the hell hole called Winter Springs - we're just north of Orlando.

My original post was actually in reference more to the weather than anything, but the Sanford hub does give us some momentary issues every two to three months.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Brighthouse. It actually makes Comcast's service in CA look good. I think the very best is the television service - audio not syncing up, non-HD menus, VOD requiring a box reset if not used within the last week, the menu lagging if not accessed in the last few hours, box resets when trying to access information too quickly, etc. And yes, we have experienced this in three different locatios with three different boxes.
Poor HD quality, limited free VOD selection, non-HD VOD, slow technicians, etc.
Wishing they'd work on their quality rather than spamming Brighthouse adds all day,
Ray

I know nothing of their TV service really, I never watch TV and don't even have a DVR or HD box despite having an HDTV.

I just know their internet, in Tampa anyway, rocks.

23. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 21, 2010, 15:52 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 07:22:
Wanting game A does not effect the quality of game B what-so-ever. If it is a good 3rd person shooter than that is all that matters, it's a good game.

Except "good" is completely subjective. A big part of being "good" is meeting player's expectations. For example, if a game is called Splinter Cell and the series has focused on stealth in the last four games, I'm expecting the focus to remain on stealth in the fifth game. Stealth is the reason I play the game and I want each sequel to retain this focus while improving it. Changing the focus to action is not improving it. Chaos Theory was awesome because it kept the stealth and improved it, with more open-ended levels, fewer forced encounters and better AI. Conviction should have followed this route but instead they opted to turn the game into a shooter (with autoaim, no less).

Sequels must be judged by their predecessors. If not, there's no reason for them to exist. Sequels should take what their predecessors did and do it better. Removing features (like the ability to hide bodies, throw objects to distract enemies or sneak through levels without killing/incapacitating anyone) does not satisfy this requirement.

Let's not kid ourselves though, anyone who cares can look at a preview and see this is not a real stealth game. Stealth flavored maybe, but not stealth, so anyone expecting it to be a stealth game is doing so due to their own ignorance.

So given that, what I want is a good game. This looks like a good game, other than the hopefully quite optional mark and execute feature. I can't just pretend it looks crappy because it's different... self-deception, while a human trait, is not my strong suit.

22. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 21, 2010, 08:31 Ray Marden

I live in the hell hole called Winter Springs - we're just north of Orlando.

My original post was actually in reference more to the weather than anything, but the Sanford hub does give us some momentary issues every two to three months.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Brighthouse. It actually makes Comcast's service in CA look good. I think the very best is the television service - audio not syncing up, non-HD menus, VOD requiring a box reset if not used within the last week, the menu lagging if not accessed in the last few hours, box resets when trying to access information too quickly, etc. And yes, we have experienced this in three different locatios with three different boxes.
Poor HD quality, limited free VOD selection, non-HD VOD, slow technicians, etc.
Wishing they'd work on their quality rather than spamming Brighthouse adds all day,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

21. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 21, 2010, 07:22 Jerykk

Wanting game A does not effect the quality of game B what-so-ever. If it is a good 3rd person shooter than that is all that matters, it's a good game.

Except "good" is completely subjective. A big part of being "good" is meeting player's expectations. For example, if a game is called Splinter Cell and the series has focused on stealth in the last four games, I'm expecting the focus to remain on stealth in the fifth game. Stealth is the reason I play the game and I want each sequel to retain this focus while improving it. Changing the focus to action is not improving it. Chaos Theory was awesome because it kept the stealth and improved it, with more open-ended levels, fewer forced encounters and better AI. Conviction should have followed this route but instead they opted to turn the game into a shooter (with autoaim, no less).

Sequels must be judged by their predecessors. If not, there's no reason for them to exist. Sequels should take what their predecessors did and do it better. Removing features (like the ability to hide bodies, throw objects to distract enemies or sneak through levels without killing/incapacitating anyone) does not satisfy this requirement.

20. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 21, 2010, 06:52 StingingVelvet

spindoctor wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 16:22:
StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 06:51:

The coop looks great indeed, and there is a mode with coop where you basically clear a map, outside of story, which should give it a lot of replay.

Yea co-op could just be the saving grace of the game. I read your thread on nvnews, so I'm sure you know about the realism mode bonus that will be unlocked through the uplay system. To me, that sounds like old school Splinter Cell and if it were playable in co-op, that would be awesome.

I was in a really bad mood when I posted that on nvn and Steam. I feel better now... that said, no I have not heard of realism mode, I will have to look that up.

19. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 21, 2010, 06:50 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 18:49:
It does if you want a stealth game like the previous Splinter Cells.

Not really.

The lack of quality stealth games on the market is another matter. I personally liked Velvet Assassin because that genre is so neglected and it was true stealth. We can always hope Thief 4 will be good.

18. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 18:49 Jerykk

It's really nice to be able to actually defend yourself this time.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole point of being stealthy? If you can just run and gun (which the game makes very easy with the instant melee kills and autoaim-instant-triple-kill system), why bother trying to sneak around?

I can see it isn't as stealth oriented as before, but that doesn't mean it is a bad game.

It does if you want a stealth game like the previous Splinter Cells.

17. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 16:22 spindoctor

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 06:51:

The coop looks great indeed, and there is a mode with coop where you basically clear a map, outside of story, which should give it a lot of replay.

Yea co-op could just be the saving grace of the game. I read your thread on nvnews, so I'm sure you know about the realism mode bonus that will be unlocked through the uplay system. To me, that sounds like old school Splinter Cell and if it were playable in co-op, that would be awesome.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

16. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 16:20 StingingVelvet

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 09:24:
Well, most of it is DRM bashing/general PC port disliking, but it is strange to talk about the good support of a company that prevents you from playing a product you've purchased and own simply because you aren't connected to the internet...

Heck, I live in Florida (under protest) and it isn't unheard of for something to go amiss and lose cable for a few hours. But as far as Ubi is concerned, I'm a pirate anyway so what does it care?
It's just a really ballsy, egotistical assumption. No internet = Pirate?
Missing the days of good games being made instead of platfom-specific games,
Ray

Where do you live? I live in Tampa and Bright House is rock solid, I never get drops in service.

15. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 14:34 Rhett

It's more like a sandbox, you simply have more options (whereas before, if you were caught, you were probably dead, if on higher difficulties). It's really nice to be able to actually defend yourself this time.

But, everyone's split. Either you hate it because it doesn't have SvM, or you love it.

14. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 12:28 CommunistHamster

Looks like a giant dumbed down qte-filled stealth-killfest anyway, a far cry from the original games.  

13. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 12:11 Rhett

Just so all of you know, the 360 version of SCC is already done and in stores according to a few people on Ubi's forums. Post got modded, but people were calling places like Best Buy.

Makes sense given how close to release it is. I loved the demo, and the new direction.

Sorry you PC gamers are getting shafted I agree that Ubi's treating PC gamers very unfairly, but I can't pass up this game on the console. I definitely don't hate Ubi as much as Activision.

12. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 10:47 Hoop

The game content producer was finishing up the last details when from nowhere a shadowy figure dropped & looped to the ground from a convenient air duct to take him out with a silent pistol.

rinse soak & repeat

Um .. Behind you...

11. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 09:24 Ray Marden

Well, most of it is DRM bashing/general PC port disliking, but it is strange to talk about the good support of a company that prevents you from playing a product you've purchased and own simply because you aren't connected to the internet...

Heck, I live in Florida (under protest) and it isn't unheard of for something to go amiss and lose cable for a few hours. But as far as Ubi is concerned, I'm a pirate anyway so what does it care?
It's just a really ballsy, egotistical assumption. No internet = Pirate?
Missing the days of good games being made instead of platfom-specific games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

10. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 09:15 The Half Elf

UBI Games for the PC have been very good, and have been better then their console counterparts.
So while I can understand hatred for their DRM scheme, I don't understand why people think UBI has had shitty PC Support.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 06:51 StingingVelvet

spindoctor wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 06:32:
Yea, seeing as how their DRM is working, I don't think the delay has anything to do with piracy or protecting console sales, as has been the trend in the past. They probably need more time to work on the game. I'm not totally convinced on whether to get this one or not. The 2 player co-op sounds fun though, so I just might go for it if another friend of mine does.

The mark and execute thing in the campaign is about the only negative I see with this game, and it's optional, so not a huge concern. I can see it isn't as stealth oriented as before, but that doesn't mean it is a bad game.

8. Re: PC Splinter Cell Conviction Delayed Mar 20, 2010, 06:32 spindoctor

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 06:04:

As for the delay, who knows... the DRM works, so they can't say it is piracy concerns. Perhaps it's just a general last minute "oh crap" with some PC issues, as has happened before with secondary concern ports.

Yea, seeing as how their DRM is working, I don't think the delay has anything to do with piracy or protecting console sales, as has been the trend in the past. They probably need more time to work on the game. I'm not totally convinced on whether to get this one or not. The 2 player co-op sounds fun though, so I just might go for it if another friend of mine does.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo