Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord of Ultima Open Beta

The Lord of Ultima Forums announce that Lord of Ultima is now in open beta, offering everyone the chance to play EA Phenomic's in-development version of the web-based "online strategy game where you build your own unique city and play with thousands of other players." Thanks Big Download.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Apr 16, 2010, 14:35 Mule

Never heard of Travian? This is almost an exact copy. That's been around for years.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 21, 2010, 08:58 Vimes

I would assume this is the start of something - it doesnt have the gravitas of other EA games. I could speculate loudly about the growth of multi client games on the lines of Eve Online and the possibility of an fps instancing of the combat ala Battleswarm: Field of Honor.

I do, however, think its more likely that the graphics and such have been turned down for beta just top prevent clutter and a lack of ooooo factor upon release. The game will most likely feel laggy down to debug tools and such running in the background. As I said, just speculation - I have no inside track on this game at all.. just watching big fish move into our small pond genre.

8. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 20, 2010, 20:34 Cutter

Or maybe this is a precursor to some new Ultima stuff being announced this year.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 20, 2010, 20:11 Flo

Silverlight is some awesome technology. I'd love to see it crush Flash, but with the common hatred for Microsoft this will never happen.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

6. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 20, 2010, 16:07 FLY

It's an OK "strategy game". The mechanics are neat, plenty of things to do and some pretty good detail. What i don't get is the whole Alliance thing and "raids". It takes days to do a raid and you don't even see the actual troops,horses,catapults in action. You only get reports. And no music or ambient sounds. I know, i know... it's a "browser game". Ehhhh ...

The other problem is the graphics engine. Too slow, laggy, almost 8-bit type graphics. They should have used the Silverlight engine imo. Would be feasible, i would think?

Here's an example of the Silverlight engine. Notice how smooth it is. Some of you may have heard of "Goon City" by Ryan Allen.
http://ryanallen.com/gooncity/city.htm

5. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 20, 2010, 15:01 Silicon Avatar

I've got to hand it to EA. They really know how to push an IP into the dirt.

Maybe someday they'll go the way of Interplay so someone with talent can come along and buy up all the IP they've horded and killed over the years.

4. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 20, 2010, 13:20 ibm

It's suffering today though, very laggy. Not sure if it's caused by not enough bandwith or underpowered servers.  

3. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 20, 2010, 10:46 NKD

Play now, m'lord.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

2. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 20, 2010, 08:33 Vimes

It's like a more pleasant, stable version of Evony - run by a major company. Either the world will love these games that unlock game elements and provide scripts for money or they will all be gone shortly and they are a stopgap to capture post-WoW wandering gamers while the next big thing gets cooked up.  

1. Re: Lord of Ultima Open Beta Mar 20, 2010, 03:09 Surf

Weird idea....

Is this what Ultima has been relegated too?

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo