Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Din's Curse Demo

Playable demos for Din's Curse are now available, offering samples of the Windows and Mac editions of Soldak Entertainment's upcoming action/RPG. Word is: "In the Din's Curse demo, you can get a taste of the dynamic and ever changing world. There is no time limit but it does limit everything to around level 5. The demos are about 100MB. You can see the minimum and recommended System Specs here." The Windows demo is mirrored on AtomicGamer, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and WorthPlaying; and the Mac demo is mirrored on AtomicGamer and Gamer's Hell.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 19, 2010, 21:31 Belzabub

People say the UI is special. It's NOT that Special.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 19, 2010, 17:23 LittleMe

The dungeon and town graphics will change when you move to another town

The dungeon graphics seem to only change color. That's not much variation at all. I noticed the 2nd town was significantly different though, as it had plants & greenery. But still, the dungeon is where I spend most of the game and it's just the same thing over and over.

I'll probably buy the game, but it seriously needs a community mod to offer some nice dungeon variety. And I'm not talking just tilesets, but the layout and size of all the levels I've played so far seems based off the same exact formula. Would be nice to have some huge levels thrown in, for example.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

21. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 19, 2010, 17:19 LittleMe

The first fifteen minutes aren't boring. If anything that's the 'overload' period where you are seeing and learning new things. About 2 or 3 minutes in you are already battling foes and getting loot.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

20. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 19, 2010, 14:30 Ant

Steven Peeler wrote on Mar 19, 2010, 14:28:
LittleMe wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 19:58:
If I have one significant complaint it's the dungeon layouts & dungeon graphics. It's overly simplified. I've been down to level 5 so far and it already seems like the same dungeon over and over.

The dungeon and town graphics will change when you move to another town.

Stanly Manly wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 23:03:
We must have played different demos then. Random environments don't really mean much, when you can't see more than 15 feet in any direction. While "dynamic", a quest for killing 6 skeletons isn't exactly impressive. You say "environmental interaction", like clicking on a torch in a dungeon is somehow unique, or interesting.

You aren't going to see much of the game in 15 minutes.

It being that dark means you probably found a really dark dungeon. They aren't all like that.

Those 6 skeletons, if part of an uprising, can raid the town, promote new bosses, and start wars among other things.

Some environment interactions you haven't see yet: cave-ins, gas leaks that will blow up, barrels of oil that will spread oil everywhere if they are broken, levers, and lots more.
Since I have limited free time, is there a way to skip to the good parts or speed up the levels to them? 15 minutes of boredness would make me not want to play the game more.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 19, 2010, 14:28 Steven Peeler

LittleMe wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 19:58:
If I have one significant complaint it's the dungeon layouts & dungeon graphics. It's overly simplified. I've been down to level 5 so far and it already seems like the same dungeon over and over.

The dungeon and town graphics will change when you move to another town.

We must have played different demos then. Random environments don't really mean much, when you can't see more than 15 feet in any direction. While "dynamic", a quest for killing 6 skeletons isn't exactly impressive. You say "environmental interaction", like clicking on a torch in a dungeon is somehow unique, or interesting.

You aren't going to see much of the game in 15 minutes.

It being that dark means you probably found a really dark dungeon. They aren't all like that.

Those 6 skeletons, if part of an uprising, can raid the town, promote new bosses, and start wars among other things.

Some environment interactions you haven't see yet: cave-ins, gas leaks that will blow up, barrels of oil that will spread oil everywhere if they are broken, levers, and lots more.

18. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 19, 2010, 13:03 Belzabub

Stanly Manly wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 14:40:
Downloading the demo now. Looks to be a fairly generic hack 'n slash, so I'm not sure if it will provide anything over Torchlight, but I'll give it a shot.

Very Generic!!!!!

17. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 19, 2010, 09:14 Aganazer

I couldn't force myself to play it for more than 15 minutes.

That is fairly telling. In 15 minutes you never saw character development. You never saw how every new town is completely different than the one before it. You never saw more than one set of town modifiers. You never got to see how different and varied 141 class combinations can be. You never saw consequences for your actions. If you think that all I meant was "torch clicking" when I said "environment interaction" then you're probably not capable of noticing what sets this game apart from any other generic hack'n'slash clone anyway. If you didn't even figure out the simple keybindings (press the number keys!) and were actually trying to clicky your skills then I can tell you that this game is probably too hardcore for you.

16. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 23:50 LittleMe

1. The isometric view was so skewed, it felt like I was climbing walls, rather than walking on a flat plane.

I see what you mean. The dungeon graphics just plain suck.

2. I could not figure out the keybinding and control scheme. I had to right click on the hotbar icon to activate an ability, even though I set a keybind. Not sure what the point of keybinding is, if you have to right click an icon.

You can use the number key on your keyboard to select it. That's how it's supposed to be done. During combat you don't want to be clicking on the bar because you want to have your cursor on your foes.

3. In the first town, in the very first screen, I had 4 questgivers, giving out quests from lvl 1 to lvl 5, and they had more quests than the bafflingly miniscule quest log could hold. There was a store, an armorsmith, weaponsmith, and 2 stash chests... on the very first screen.

Yes the start screen/town is a little overwhelming at first. To start with, just take one quest for level 1. Ignore the others for now. You only want to take on quests that you feel you will be able to solve reasonably soon, because they will time out.

4. 20 feet away from these questgivers, was "Hostile Labyrinth 1" or something. Just an object in the environment you clicked on. Right in the middle of the town. Taken with 3 above, why even have a town at that point?

Yes the entire map and world system seems very basic and repetitive.

Anyway, maybe I just have a different idea of what a hack 'n slash should be. I couldn't force myself to play it for more than 15 minutes.

Try to save one town before you forget the game permanently. It's truly a hack 'n slash action-rpg and it is good despite it's obvious failings.

15. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 23:03 Stanly Manly

Aganazer wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 15:49:
It does plenty of things that Torchlight never did. Truly random environments, dynamic quests, consequences, environment interaction, and best of all, coop multiplayer. Its about 1000 times better than Torchlight in every way except graphics, sound, and animation. The only thing generic about it is the fantasy setting.

Anyway, while I try not to be too hard on an indie game, this one just didn't seem worthy of any praise.

1. The isometric view was so skewed, it felt like I was climbing walls, rather than walking on a flat plane.

2. I could not figure out the keybinding and control scheme. I had to right click on the hotbar icon to activate an ability, even though I set a keybind. Not sure what the point of keybinding is, if you have to right click an icon.

3. In the first town, in the very first screen, I had 4 questgivers, giving out quests from lvl 1 to lvl 5, and they had more quests than the bafflingly miniscule quest log could hold. There was a store, an armorsmith, weaponsmith, and 2 stash chests... on the very first screen.

4. 20 feet away from these questgivers, was "Hostile Labyrinth 1" or something. Just an object in the environment you clicked on. Right in the middle of the town. Taken with 3 above, why even have a town at that point?

Anyway, maybe I just have a different idea of what a hack 'n slash should be. I couldn't force myself to play it for more than 15 minutes.

14. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 19:58 LittleMe

Played some more.. It's pretty good. If I have one significant complaint it's the dungeon layouts & dungeon graphics. It's overly simplified. I've been down to level 5 so far and it already seems like the same dungeon over and over. Also on normal difficulty the game is very easy imo. Thankfully there are three higher difficulty levels plus a way to boost the levels of the monsters.

The game throws lots of loot around. Just sorting through it, selling it, and determining if it's worth equipping takes a decent amount of time.

I like the user interface. I like the variety of creatures and how they behave. The variety and quantity of skills seems nice. Overall it seems like a good A-RPG. Worth trying.

13. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 17:37 LittleMe

There's no multiplayer in the demo. It's greyed out.  

12. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 16:31 Kamakazie

Still at work so I can't check it out yet, but is co-op available in the demo?  

11. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 16:17 LittleMe

So how is it compared to Diablo games and Torchlight? I enjoyed those three. Graphics in Din's Curse don't look that good.

Okay it's been maybe ten years since I played Diablo 2 but I didn't like it because it seemed incredibly dumbed down. It was just click click click click click and the rpg elements were seemingly barren. Maybe I judged Diablo2 too quickly though because I know a lot of people love D2. I didn't care much for D1 also. This game, in contrast, seems to have actual RPG elements and a good eq system. Still learning it. Just try the demo.

Compared to torchlight I'd say this game so far seems better in most ways except graphics.

10. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 16:05 LittleMe

It does plenty of things that Torchlight never did. Truly random environments, dynamic quests, consequences, environment interaction, and best of all, coop multiplayer. Its about 1000 times better than Torchlight in every way except graphics, sound, and animation. The only thing generic about it is the fantasy setting.

I agree with Aganazer. What it lacks in visuals it more than makes up for in gameplay. This is a better game than Torchlight, imo. How much better I don't know, haven't played it enough yet.

9. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 16:03 LittleMe

Oh yes I stand corrected thanks Blue.  

8. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 15:59  Blue 

LittleMe wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 14:33:
Blue, the worthplaying link is just an ad whoring site which then sends us to a filefront download page. Please replace the worthplaying link with the filefront. Thanks.

WorthPlaying lists a few download locations including local overseas downloads. I have added the separate FileFront link you sent.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 15:51 Aganazer

Ant wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 15:48:
So how is it compared to Diablo games and Torchlight?

It compares favorably enough that you should at least try the demo.

6. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 15:49 Aganazer

Stanly Manly wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 14:40:
Downloading the demo now. Looks to be a fairly generic hack 'n slash, so I'm not sure if it will provide anything over Torchlight, but I'll give it a shot.

5. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 15:48 Ant

LittleMe wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 15:47:
This demo is awesome. Plays well, there are no lags or stutters during play. This game is very good so far. Only to level 3. From the patch lists and how it plays I can tell that they are paying attention to the important details. If you like action-rpg's you must try the demo!
So how is it compared to Diablo games and Torchlight? I enjoyed those three. Graphics in Din's Curse don't look that good.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

4. Re: Din's Curse Demo Mar 18, 2010, 15:47 LittleMe

This demo is awesome. Plays well, there are no lags or stutters during play. This game is very good so far. Only to level 3. From the patch lists and how it plays I can tell that they are paying attention to the important details. If you like action-rpg's you must try the demo!  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo