Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Gamer on "Bad Company 2 Patch Fiasco"

A post on the PC Gamer Blog outlines what they are calling the "Bad Company 2 patch fiasco," offering a look at problems they've been experiencing both before and after applying the recent patch for DICE's military shooter sequel. Word is: "We're all having a very familiar feeling here in the office: loving a game while simultaneously frustrated, outraged and appalled by its endless connection problems. We've had it with pretty much every Battlefield game for eight years, and the patch for Bad Company 2 released last night suggests developers DICE have learnt little in that time." Their "before" problems include server browsing problems and PunkBuster issues ("despite having followed DICE's advice for this problem"), while their "after" patch problems include faulty hit detection, lost server connections, and crashes to desktop. Thanks Joao Noya.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 19, 2010, 21:37 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 20:52:
You guys that refuse to play it are missing out - and I never say that.

He's right.

As a militant pro-modding, pro-community player I hate this game but as a MPFPS player I love it. Couldn't say that about the time I had with CoD:MW2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: PC Gamer on "Bad Company 2 Patch Fiasco" Mar 18, 2010, 20:52 xXBatmanXx

Well, even with some minor issues I have encountered, I do not regreat the 50+ hours I already have into the game. I have played with a lot of people from the BF2 days - and having a blast with new friends.

The hardcore mode really makes the game shine.

You guys that refuse to play it are missing out - and I never say that.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: PC Gamer on "Bad Company 2 Patch Fiasco" Mar 18, 2010, 15:16 EvilGrouse

I do not regret my decision to not buy a DICE product since BF2. Nope. Not one bit. There's other games out there.  

18. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 15:14 ^Drag0n^

The bipolar inconsistencies between how PC Gamer applies criticism to Battlefield and Call of Duty once again vindicate my belief as to why their magazine is irrelevant.

MW2 has had more than it's share of issues, and it gets game of the Year, whereas BF has similar issues, and they get a special smack-down posting.

Way to be consistent, guys.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

17. Re: PC Gamer on "Bad Company 2 Patch Fiasco" Mar 18, 2010, 09:43 Ant

Good thing I didn't buy it either. I will just wait. No time for it anyways.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 09:38 BurntSoul

Smooth Gravy wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 08:51:
Jackplug wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 04:41:
thank god i didnt buy it, sounds like patch 1.3 for BF2..

I have not had any issues, so I may have a different opinion if I were crashing all of the time or lagging, etc., but this game is VERY good. Way better than MW2 or any other FPS out right now. This is the most fun I've had with a game since cod4.

I agree with ya, man. I think the destructible environments, the wide open spaces and the seemingly heavy punch of the weapons definitely have an impact on my experiences so far.

I have had a couple issues with the game (randomly between loading screen and join screen switch, black and white flashing of the video). However, a reinstall of my video drivers fixed that (even though I had recently 'downgraded' my vid drivers since the fan issues with Nvidia latest driver set).

I have also had issues with the control of piloting, though I'm very forgiving in this area as I don't focus on piloting. I think for me that's the only thing that is missing.

In any event, maybe people should note my machine set up so they can compare?

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6750
2GB OCZ RAM
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R v1.x (God I hate this Mobo)
EVGA Nvidia Gforce GTX 285 (196.21 vid drivers)
Creative SB X-Fi

The video runs liquid smooth with this setup...

Hope this helps

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2010, 09:45.

15. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 09:33 nin

This is why I don't buy DICE games...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 08:55 Verno

Prez wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 06:22:
How much of this issue is just "DICE being DICE" as opposed to problems brought on by the bastardized way EA is handling the server situation?

I don't know about such things - just wondering.

Dice being Dice. Every BF game for the past ten years has been like this. People wail and gnash their teeth(myself included) but we all keep buying them because it's a good PC franchise.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

13. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 08:51 Smooth Gravy

Jackplug wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 04:41:

I have not had any issues, so I may have a different opinion if I were crashing all of the time or lagging, etc., but this game is VERY good. Way better than MW2 or any other FPS out right now. This is the most fun I've had with a game since cod4.

12. Re: PC Gamer on "Bad Company 2 Patch Fiasco" Mar 18, 2010, 08:49 DanL

Post patch, I've been experiencing random crashes to the desktop, disconnects to servers when the round ends, and still occasional issues connecting to servers. Its not all bad because I was able to get a game or two in with buddies, but took some time and work to find a server to which we can all connect.  

11. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 08:28 BurntSoul

Jippy wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 05:09:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 23:01:
I've been playing all evening with the new patch and haven't run into any of the problems being discussed. Not sure what's up, maybe it's something on the server side for some hosts.

This 2x

No issues for me since patch, if anything its running slightly better for me. Bummer that others have issues though, you'd think they would have figured it out by now

Yes, this for me makes 3x, so there is some kind of light at the end of the tunnel. Don't give up on 'em yet, guys...

10. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 06:22 Prez

How much of this issue is just "DICE being DICE" as opposed to problems brought on by the bastardized way EA is handling the server situation?

I don't know about such things - just wondering.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 05:09 Jippy

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 23:01:
I've been playing all evening with the new patch and haven't run into any of the problems being discussed. Not sure what's up, maybe it's something on the server side for some hosts.

This 2x

No issues for me since patch, if anything its running slightly better for me. Bummer that others have issues though, you'd think they would have figured it out by now

8. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 04:41 Jackplug

7. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 18, 2010, 04:16 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 23:15:
Did find out at a friends house that the ping will show up on a G15 keyboard display even if it doesn't in the server browser.

Wow thats interesting, wonder why on a g15? Like is it doing dos ping or a hook into the game, or what?

6. Re: PC Gamer on "Bad Company 2 Patch Fiasco" Mar 18, 2010, 01:19 KilrathiAce

Maybe DICE should hire a competent person and contract some real testers one of these days. Please spare me excuses, they have terrible track record fixing bugs in their games since first BF game.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

5. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 17, 2010, 23:40 DDI

I've had none of those issues and could jump into a friends game from the friends list... oddly it seems to run smoother too.  

4. Re: PC Gamer on "Bad Company 2 Patch Fiasco" Mar 17, 2010, 23:15 Sepharo

My friends list has never worked so I guess I'm not missing out on much.

Did find out at a friends house that the ping will show up on a G15 keyboard display even if it doesn't in the server browser. Too bad I use a minimalist keyboard that I have 5 copies of...

3. Re: PC Gamer on "Bad Company 2 Patch Fiasco" Mar 17, 2010, 23:01 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: PC Gamer on Mar 17, 2010, 22:48 LIQUID-SEX

Have no idea what people are complaining about. Seems like normal Dice release/support to me.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo