Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers

The NVIDIA Driver Downloads Page now offers new beta version 197.13 ForceWare reference drivers for NVIDIA accelerators. There are new drivers for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 64-bit, Windows XP 64-bit. Thanks Charles.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 18, 2010, 13:49 Avrus

Here's hoping the bluescreening issues with Win7 - 64 bit are resolved.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 18, 2010, 03:02 Rossafur

I had received my GTS 250 little more than a week beforehand. Hard shut-downs and the ensuing smell of burnt electronics are awwwwwesome. Now it's going to take a full week just to get my card back to Newegg. Awesome.
Well I guess I should be catching up on my classes anyway instead of harvesting blood for the Blood God. Wait, why am I even on Bluesnews commenting at 3am? Dammit...

18. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 19:04 Beamer

Video card RMA is not painless Beamer. I think a better apology could have been presented personally.

I meant for them, haha.
Agreed they can handle it better. But they're third best for actually doing the returns. First would be the board manufacturer, then the retail location (although the chain of refund gets insane there), then Nvidia themselves.
They just have no method of handling this. Nor should they. But the board manufacturer does.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 17:58 Lit_Reflex001

It's a shame that the old driver review website I went to when I was 16 isn't around.

They used to review all the new beta vid drivers and would always explain what's new, what works, what's broken if anything (digital vibrance anyone?). You could actually find enough info to find that secret individual beta driver that has some significant performance increase.

And yes, my past experience shows that everyone should be using a specific beta driver for optimum performance.

Attempting to figure out such things by yourself is ridiculous, however.

Just remember that sometimes things are broken with these and even the WHQL's (Microsoft certified).

16. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 17:55 The PC Warrior

are you kidding? ignoring all of the other problems, thats not even the first time theyve done that with fan control.  

15. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 17:21 Talisorn

To be fair to nVidia, out of all the driver releases ever, what percentage have had the kind of impact that the faulty fan one did? And yet that's the one everyone will remember.  

14. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 16:20 Starang

Verno wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 15:29:
Right here. You probably knew them as nTune or alternatively as "Just get RivaTuner instead"
I was actually going to get rivatuner but it felt like too much of a hassle so I tried nvidias first. It did what I wanted and was super easy to use so im going to stick with it even if rivatuner might be more advanced. In any case it came with two useless apps I would avoid installing unless you wanna laugh at a horrible UI, system monitor and system update it's the performance app you want.

13. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 15:29 Verno

Right here. You probably knew them as nTune or alternatively as "Just get RivaTuner instead"  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

12. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 15:23 DanL

Starang wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 12:29:
... nvidia system tools (I didn't know those existed until yesterday) where you can set up your own rules for fan speed performance etc and the temp of my card has lowered quite a bit during heavy load and it's almost silent during no load

Where do you get these tools?

11. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 14:35 pxmm

Riker wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 14:30:
I have indeed heard that, so you can imagine my shock when the new drivers were even more volatile and blew up my house. You'd think they'd learn.

Yeah, learn to not leave any witnesses to the GPU frying...

10. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 14:30 Riker

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 13:05:
Guess you haven't heard about the latest WHQL drivers disabled the fan control on your card so the fan would just run at low speed and let your card cook itself. After Nvidia found out about this they pulled the drivers.

I have indeed heard that, so you can imagine my shock when the new drivers were even more volatile and blew up my house. You'd think they'd learn.

9. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 14:15 Verno

Video card RMA is not painless Beamer. I think a better apology could have been presented personally.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

8. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 13:22 Beamer

In other words, sorry we screwed up your card, but we aren't taking any responsability and want to make card makers pay instead of us for our mistake with the driver that fried our chip.

Not at all.
They don't have much of a relationship with the end user, as no money ever traded hands.
They also don't have a supply of boards, and even if they did it wouldn't be the same ones the person initially sought out and purchased.

Instead it makes more sense for the person to go to the board manufacturer, who can swap it out painlessly, then the board manufacturer go to them, where they can adjust as necessary.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 13:12 Dev

I like this line in nvidia's apology for the card frying driver:

Any GeForce owner who has questions about their board as a result of downloading the 195.75 drivers should contact their board supplier.

In other words, sorry we screwed up your card, but we aren't taking any responsability and want to make card makers pay instead of us for our mistake with the driver that fried our chip.

6. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 13:05 SpectralMeat

Riker wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 12:11:
I just upgraded and it blew up my house.

Guess you haven't heard about the latest WHQL drivers disabled the fan control on your card so the fan would just run at low speed and let your card cook itself. After Nvidia found out about this they pulled the drivers.

Now these new drivers are beta so I guess if your card blows up Nvidia can say oh those were beta drivers.

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 12:29 Starang

My 275 gtx has NEVER turned up it's fan over the default 40% and it has been 80-85 degrees Celsius several times. Anyway after getting a bit paranoid about it I downloaded the nvidia system tools (I didn't know those existed until yesterday) where you can set up your own rules for fan speed performance etc and the temp of my card has lowered quite a bit during heavy load and it's almost silent during no load.

While playing around with the rules I did find out that 100% fan speed was unbearably loud but hopefully my card will never get that hot.

4. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 12:24 Dev

Riker wrote on Mar 17, 2010, 12:11:
Pics or it didn't happen

3. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 12:11 Riker

2. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 12:06 Dmitri_M

I think I'll let others beta test these..  

1. Re: NVIDIA Beta ForceWare Drivers Mar 17, 2010, 10:54 SpectralMeat

Hopefully the fan control is fixed this time around, so I don't have to worry about setting my video card on fire.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo