Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork

A story on ABC News reports on a new study of gaming, saying: "Young boys who receive their first video game system don't progress as quickly in school as boys who don't own such devices," quoting study co-author Robert Weis saying: "The average reading and writing scores of the young gamers don't go down, but they don't improve either." If this all seems obvious, Weiss thinks drawing obvious conclusions is meaningful, as they say: "While the conclusion that owning a video game increases the time kids spend on such game might seem obvious, Weis, a clinical psychologist, said it was important to scientifically prove that conventional wisdom was correct. The study was published last week in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 17, 2010, 04:27 BobBob

This just in!

Bad parenting leads to bad kids.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 17, 2010, 02:51 Narf2029

Or how about a study to see if piss-poor education with the wrong priorities dooms our schoolkids to a life of intellectual inferiority? At least for us Americans anyway.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

21. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 17, 2010, 00:56 KilrathiAce

Wow a study... how about making a study whether having a cell phone hurts schoolwork too, and while they are at it what about having a sex at young age.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

20. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 17, 2010, 00:17 Narf2029

Maybe parents shouldn't let their kids play video games instead of doing their homework or going to bed on time, huh? I know I'm crazy to suggest that parents tell their kids no and take their shit away from them when they misbehave, but I really think it's a solid idea.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

19. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 20:14 Ruffiana

Playing too many video games also interferes with drug/alcohol abuse and contracting STDs.

All while improving hand/eye coordination, critical problem solving, and general technology savviness...which I would consider good things. I know that for me personally, playing video games a lot when I was young lead directly to me working in the industry...whereas many of the classes I was required to take in school ended up being useless.

Maybe, just maybe, there's good and bad things that happen with playing video games. And maybe, just maybe, there's something to be said about moderation for practically any kind of activity. But I really don't see video games as being more impactful on general performance in school than television, toys, comics, or whatever activity young kids will find to screw around instead of doing boring school work.

18. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 20:07 J

DG wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 19:35:
While the conclusion that owning a video game increases the time kids spend on such game might seem obvious, Weis, a clinical psychologist, said it was important to scientifically prove that conventional wisdom was correct.

Correct.

"Obvious" things are rather subjective. The gaming community spends a lot of time disputing things that some other people believe to be obvious, for example that gaming leads to violence. Once it was "obvious" that the sun spun around Earth.

Yeah, and then the sun discovered video games and now the Earth has to do the revolving

17. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 19:36 Mashiki Amiketo

Flatline wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 19:19:
This is old news. Didn't Civilization and Civ 2 prove scientifically that your life can be sucked into a dim, murky abyss that can result in lost jobs and failed classes?
Dunno I survived just fine playing both games when I was in school still. In fact both games made me more of an analytical thinker.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 19:35 DG

While the conclusion that owning a video game increases the time kids spend on such game might seem obvious, Weis, a clinical psychologist, said it was important to scientifically prove that conventional wisdom was correct.

Correct.

"Obvious" things are rather subjective. The gaming community spends a lot of time disputing things that some other people believe to be obvious, for example that gaming leads to violence. Once it was "obvious" that the sun spun around Earth.

15. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 19:19 Flatline

the_culture wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 18:24:

And secular work

This is old news. Didn't Civilization and Civ 2 prove scientifically that your life can be sucked into a dim, murky abyss that can result in lost jobs and failed classes?

14. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 19:03 Brazor

And watching TV
And reading comic books
And going to see movies
I remember some time in the late 80s there were still people stating that reading books for entertainment purposes was bad cause you were wasting valuable time that should be spent improving yourself.

13. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:57 Stanly Manly

Jackplug wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 18:37:
why dont they just, wrap the kids up in cotton wool and have done with it. I hate these goody two shoes ppl as they dont have a life so they think that everyone else shouldnt either.

What exactly is "cotton wool"?

12. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:56 rist3903

I bet they do hurt schoolwork. As would playing sports. Same with having a part time job. As would doing anything that does not involve doing schoolwork. If you did schoolwork alone while at school your grades would be phenomenal(your mileage may vary).

They are however singling out games as it is still this generation of chicken little's whipping boy.

11. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:56 Kxmode

the_culture wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 18:24:

And secular work

No no no. Video Games Blues News Can Hurt secular work.

10. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:51 derelict koan

games are more fun than installing windows...news at eleven  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

9. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:47 Grendle

LOL  

8. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:46 GayBlade

Studies show that reading too many studies is bad for your health.  

7. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:37 Jackplug

why dont they just, wrap the kids up in cotton wool and have done with it. I hate these goody two shoes ppl as they dont have a life so they think that everyone else shouldnt either.  

6. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:32 Hump

they just keep grasping for straws.....  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:24 the_culture

And secular work

4. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 18:22 DangerDog

Lazy people are lazy, but let's give this guy a grant to prove if this is actually scientifically correct.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo