Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA's 3D Push

NVIDIA announces 3DTV Play, an initiative with Panasonic to take 3D technology on the road, showing how to bring 3D to the living room via NVIDIA hardware. This is how they are getting in on the ground floor of the home 3D revolution that Hollywood and others are convinced is upon us. Word is: "3DTV Play software lets you connect any compatible NVIDIA GeForce GPU-powered PC or notebook to 3D TVs for the ultimate, high-definition, big-screen, 3D entertainment experience. By leveraging the processing power of NVIDIA GeForce GPUs, 3DTV Play software delivers the best the PC has to offer: play hundreds of standard PC games in stunning 3D environments such as World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and James Cameron's Avatarô: The Game. You can also watch upcoming Blu-ray 3Dô Hollywood blockbusters, view digital 3D photographs, and even watch streaming 3D movies for the ultimate viewing party. The active-shutter glasses bundled with each VIERA full HD 3D TV sold work seamlessly with NVIDIA GPUs and off-the-shelf PC gaming titles and other 3D entertainment content."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 16, 2010, 10:43 Elessar

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2010, 12:02:
The whole 3D at home thing reeks of an industry built to sustain its own profits and is probably bound to be a colossal failure just like the first time they tried this. [/quote
FT. This seems like a big money grab that I want no part of. It's really sort of lame if you think of it. I can see these CEOs getting all jazzed to sell this gimmick. Weak.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 16, 2010, 00:10 MMORPGHoD

This would be great if it didn't cause blinding headaches to a significant percentage of people who use it for any length of time more than an hour.

Exactly. I was able to sit through avatar without a problem but I know people who could no longer take it near the end of the movie. Can't imagine this being acceptable for long gaming sessions.

23. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 21:46 rist3903

This would be great if it didn't cause blinding headaches to a significant percentage of people who use it for any length of time more than an hour.  

22. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 21:31 Shataan

Ya know, when I got my Samsung 2233RZ 120 hz monitor, I tried the nVidia glasses. What a joke. It does do 3D alright, at way too high a cost. That cost being how dark the screen gets when viewing thru the glasses. And the total washout of all those high rez textures we are paying to see.

I did buy the Samsung 120 hz monitor, but nVidia can keep their glasses. LOL

21. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 20:39 wtf_man

Riker wrote on Mar 15, 2010, 11:27:
...the home 3D revolution that Hollywood and others are convinced is upon us.

It's a failed fad coming back for another failure, I reckon.

Agreed.

Something that the idiots in Hollywood, and the Movie / TV tech people can't get through their thick skulls... 3D with glasses (Colored or Polarized) gives most people a splitting headache within 20 minutes.

Yeah... that technology is going to sell well.

20. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 20:19 Flatline

peteham wrote on Mar 15, 2010, 17:30:
That is quite impressive and cheap to implement.
As an added point of interest, Johnny Chung Lee now works for Microsoft on Project Natal.

I don't blame Microsoft there. Damn impressive adaptation of inexpensive hardware.

Also, this NVIDIA 3d thing costs something like 2-3000 dollars to get into at entry level.

The PS3 can probably push it, but if you want to watch 3d movies, you'll have to toss out your current blu-ray player and get a *new* one, as well as a TV that can display. At the moment, I believe they are like 800 bucks for the player and 2k or so for the TV. You get one pair of glasses, and each extra pair is a minimum of 80-100 dollars.

It's probably pretty pimp software, but I just don't see it being any more than a niche...

19. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 17:30 peteham

As an added point of interest, Johnny Chung Lee now works for Microsoft on Project Natal.

18. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 16:15 Acleacius

Risky.

Maybe if you only play games 30 min to an hour at a time, yet many gamers play 4 to 6 hours at least one day of the week, usually weekends.

http://io9.com/5477698/science-proves-3+d-movies-hurt-your-brain

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

17. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 15:59 Cutter

This is superior to '3D':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

See part: 2:30

That's pretty goddamned impressive! How it would play out for actual entertainment I'd have to see.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 14:24 DG

BobBob wrote on Mar 15, 2010, 12:40:

It's also what I'd look for in "3D", not merely eye-trickery illusion of a 3D image but actual function.

Still not convinced I won't get headaches and sore eyes from using any of the 3D for the amount of time I normally spend playing games and watching films etc.

15. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 14:24 Drayth

Exact same boat as Wolfen, it was very hard to let go of the edimensional 3d as games became less compatible and 60 hz LCD's became popular.

I remember shooting down an Osprey in Half-Life, it was directly above me and the debris fell right on to my face. It really does take the immersion up a notch if the glasses don't bother you (I could play for hours, and never had a headache or any problems).

14. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 14:18 Creston

Nvidia should focus on getting Fermi into the market, instead of promoting technologies that very very few people are interested in to begin with.

Creston

13. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 13:27 Wolfen

Ive tried stereo 3d from edimensional in the past, and ive recently been messing around with nvidias free implementation of anaglyph.

eDimensional's stuff was pretty fun back in the day. I remember playing tons of games in 3d and it was really hard to let it go.

Currently nvidia has added anaglyph capabilities to its drivers so you can get basically a free 3d experience. But as a previous commenter mentioned, the colors get wonky. Like in borderlands, all the green turns orange. Thats to be expected though with such old tech, but it is quite fun to mess around with. A couple of games that looked really good in anaglyph minus the color issues was Dead Space, Trials 2, and Trine. Sexy sexy. Its neat to see what looks like a little diorama in your computer monitor hehe.

Personally Id like to see the 3d continue forward so the technology advances and one day we wont need glasses at a reasonable price.

12. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 13:09 Quicksilver

it amazes me people make $100's of thousands of dollars a year saying YES! to ideas like this  

11. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 12:50 SpectralMeat

BobBob wrote on Mar 15, 2010, 12:40:

I've seen that a while ago it is pretty awesome for sure.

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 12:40 BobBob

9. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 12:31 Rhialto

Great! I'm glad 3D is coming from everywhere and this time it should suceed but please stop suggesting anaglyph, it is so bad and some neophytes will run away from 3D.

Also, as I enjoy putting headphones to enhance my experience, I have no problem putting shutter glasses or such to enhance my experience more.

While it is possible to see a flat screen in 3D just like my Fujifilm FinePix REAL 3D camera can do (one person at a time), it is far from perfect so I would not count on that for the next 5-10 years.

8. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 12:29 Mashiki Amiketo

The '90's called, they said the dead are rising out of their graves and looking for consumers for a failed product.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 12:02 Verno

If I can't convince my girlfriend to wear 3D glasses then I have no clue how Nvidia or any of these TV companies plans to do it. Maybe they will make pink pairs that have Sex and the City written on the side.

The whole 3D at home thing reeks of an industry built to sustain its own profits and is probably bound to be a colossal failure just like the first time they tried this.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

6. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 12:01 BobBob

Until they come out with holodeck sex, I'm not interested.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo