Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OpenGL 4.0 Announced

The Khronos announces the OpenGL 4.0 specification, calling this "a significant update to the most widely adopted 2D and 3D graphics API, and includes the GLSL 4.00 update to the OpenGL Shading language allowing developers to access the latest generation of GPU acceleration." There's an article about this on CNET News (thanks Mike Martinez) relating Khronos' claims that "OpenGL 4.0 exposes the same level of capability of GPUs as DirectX 11."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 13, 2010, 10:37 Razumen

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 18:59:
Yeah since when is Ogl even relevant anymore? NOTHING uses it. Nothing.

Ogl is extremely relevant, and one might say more important than D3D itself, because of its open source nature - how many homebrew apps/game or systems that don't run proprietary MS software do you think uses D3D?

Sure, in some cases it's probably easier to code for, but in the long run you are just shoehorning yourself into a corner, MS's corner, and that's exactly why they created it in the first place.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 12, 2010, 10:58 RenownWolf

zirik wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 05:09:
what does sony use for its PS3 games? is it opengl?

Nope, they use their own custom API.

Developers on consoles tend to use it's API for the fastest access to the hardware, in the case of those consoles OpenGL just adds a layer they don't currently see worth the effort.

Biggest issue by far for opengl is driver issues compared to DX during the DX9 level. Most games that are developed lately in DX9 are the indie & casual level where they both can compete (DX10/11 level of detail for a model = 5-8 times longer to create). The worst offender is Intel as they are in so many laptops/desktop pcs these days due to the love of cheap hardware for the masses which is fine for software, but games are another story.

I personally hope opengl gets some luck, although I personally will be using a Graphics Engine for my efforts rather than direct API access. Easier to write for middleware then it is to attempt to support multiple APIs.

http://www.renownwolf.com

16. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 12, 2010, 08:54 Rosco

InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 08:07:

Thank Microsoft for that monopoly making move.

Ignorance is bliss. It is not a monopoly, OpenGL is still available, developers of late just chose not to use it. It is a choice. When facing a monopoly, there are no choices. Now, run along back to your class and learn something, this time pay attention.

And in case you missed recent news, All Source Powered games will now use OpenGL. Learn to read and pay attention people!

Consoles are schwag.

15. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 12, 2010, 08:07 InBlack

Thank Microsoft for that monopoly making move.

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 12, 2010, 05:09 zirik

what does sony use for its PS3 games? is it opengl?  

13. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 21:16 Rosco

I think one thing many are forgetting in the argument that nothing uses OpenGL anymore is, Valve Source powered games will now use OpenGL. As in the old days when the driving force behind widespread use was iD powered games, now will be Source powered games.

And perhaps, just perhaps, when the juggernaut behind some of the most popular FPS games of modern time decided to start using it again, others will follow. I hope they throw the switch back into the HL games that allow us to decide if we want to use DirectX or OpenGL, just like we had back in the original Half-Life. I'm very curious to see what Half Life 2 looks like with OpenGL compared to DirectX.

Consoles are schwag.

12. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 20:12 ThatOtherGuy

We use OpenGL for Brink. Partially because of our legacy, partially because it provides a nice platform for cross DX9 and DX10+ class hardware, partially because of the portability. Yes, D3D has some nice debugging tools that at times I wish Id have for GL, but at the same time there is not enough of a reason to change to D3D and support two renderer backends on the PC (D3D9 and D3D10+).
- RR2DO2, Splash Damage

And I guess the Source engine will be using Ogl for Mac.

11. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 20:00 SectorEffector

"The PC version is still OpenGL, but it is possible that could change before release. The actual API code is not very large, and the vertex / fragment code can be easily translated between cg/hlsl/glsl as necessary. I am going to at least consider OpenGL 3.0 as a target, if Nvidia, ATI, and Intel all have decent support. There really won't be any performance difference between GL 2.0 / GL 3.0 / D3D, so the api decision will be based on secondary factors, of which inertia is one.

John Carmack"

Slashdot post by Carmack discussing new ID game Rage.

Sidenote:
Autodesk Maya is very awesome.

Very Very Awesome.

Visual Effects work is a lot like making game assets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

10. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 19:38 Kalthorn

And that's because they haven't updated the spec in any meaningful way in forever. Well, that and releasing on the xbox requires DirectX. I'm betting there will be some decent PC games using it soon.  

9. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 19:34 The PC Warrior

your definition of awesome software and mine seem to differ. i dont see many good, recent games on that list and thats what most people here care about.  

8. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 19:33 Kalthorn

Sort of outside the scope of this website, but it's still quite relevant outside of games. Anything cross-platform is going to use it such as medical imaging software. Our visualization software are work uses OpenGL so we can run natively on Macs and I can finally stop pining for a switch to DirectX.

And Guybrush, the good thing is that hardware support should already be in place. The DX 11 ATI cards advertise OpenGL 3.1 support (which didn't actually require diff. hardware from 2.x I believe) so at least for those, it should just be a matter of new drivers.

[Edit] Looks like we still have the state machine though

7. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 19:29 SectorEffector

http://www.opengl.org/products/platform/C5/

over 20 pages of awesome software.

Combustion, After effects, and Maya 3D tools use OpenGL aswell

Google first, troll after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

6. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 19:18 Dmitri_M

Opengl..ah the good old days when Direct3D vs Opengl arguments reigned supreme.  

5. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 19:14 Darth Guybrush

I think the biggest issue is drivers. If more hardware supported it? Maybe.

Are the days of OpenGL over? iD did great things...

Time will tell.

4. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 18:59 ForgedReality

3. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 18:31 MrBone

Oh, this will be the hallmark of video technology now that iD rules the FPS...er, wait a tick...  

2. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 18:19 Rosco

and just in time for Steam to be released on the Mac as well!  
Consoles are schwag.

1. Re: OpenGL 4.0 Announced Mar 11, 2010, 17:46 Mashiki Amiketo

So this one isn't as much of a cluster as 3.x was right?  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo