Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cuts at Rebellion?

Approximately 20 staff have been laid off from the Oxford U.K. headquarters of Aliens vs Predator developer Rebellion Studios, reports Develop, quoting "a source close to the matter." They also say it is also "all but confirmed" that Rebellion's Derby studio is closed, following indications earlier this year that this was happening, saying the staff from Derby has been "put on consultancy." They state they've been unable to clarify the nature of the staff cuts.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 12, 2010, 14:22 Lit_Reflex001

Thanks for the insight.

It's really fucked up that these business people lack the experience with games to notice that they need a "creative director" who's job it is to A, maintain a consistent and coherent direction for the game and B, actually have the EXPERIENCE PLAYING GAMES to EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE HIS REQUIREMENTS FOR GOOD TASTE AND QUALITY.

QUICKLY! WE MUST COMBINE MYSELF, JAMES CAMERON, AND THE LEFT FOR DEAD 2 DEV TEAM INTO ONE HARMONIOUS BEING OF PROPER EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT AND TRULY CAPABLE TASTE AND VISION FOR AT LEAST BASIC SPECIAL EFFECTS!

WE SHALL RULE THE VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY WORLD WITH AN IRON FIST OF GOOD TASTE AND QUALITY CONTENT!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 19:27 starmonkey

Wildone - m8s.Wildone?  

10. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 18:46 Wildone

Colonial Marines Cell Shaded? wtf  

9. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 18:45 Wildone

It wasn't ranked! It was any player game I could find..and only 1 listed at that time. I've seen others at other times, but its never
an overflowing amount, and half the time I get connection failed! For a new game its really sad.

8. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 17:50 sir

I was on at lunch, there was 1 server up (or 'found') with 3 players...what a joke

You're doing it wrong, Wildone - no-one is playing ranked games anymore, practically everyone is playing on dedicated servers which can be located under the 'player match' tab. There are quite a few empty dedicated servers, but there are also lots with the maximum number of players on them (18). Enjoy.

7. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 17:37 Ventura

People are cowards

It's the nature of the world today. Think about how much you'd lose if you quit or lost your job and the money stopped coming in. The only reason so many of us take it up the arse at work is because they know we need it.

That's why people don't speak out. They don't give a shit about the state of these franchises, they care about stuff like their homes and posessions.

6. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 16:48 Darks

Had these idiots put real Coop missions in the game I think that it would have done much better. How do companies not build a squad based game into Coop? Now Colonial Marines is in jeopardy and thatís a shame because those guys know how to make Coop games. Borderlands is a great Coop game. My friends and I have enjoyed that game a lot.

I was at E3 and spoke to these guys about AVP, I asked about Coop and there reply was, we will see. Well I have seen, and what little Coop they gave us sucks ass. Itís not even really Coop itís more like stand there and get slaughtered. The coop waves are too much to handle even with 4 players, had they made the waves smaller and grow larger as you go it may have been better but they just swarm you with too much too fast. Itís get very repetitive very quickly.

Iím really hoping that Colonial Maries makes it and delivers the promised 4 player Coop campaign. If anyone can do it, Iím sure the devs at Gear box can do it.

Imagine Colonial Marines with a Cell shaded look? hmm that might be very kewl.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

5. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 16:38 Wildone

I was on at lunch, there was 1 server up (or 'found') with 3 players...what a joke  

4. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 14:57 DangerDog

Derby studio did that god awful Rogue Warrior game, I think.  

3. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 12:27 Surf

Agreed.

I have worked in the game industry and no one in QA, Design, Testing, whatever has the balls to say mid development:

"THIS GAME SUCKS ASS! If we do not change it, start over, fix it, it will suck and we will lose our jobs anyways!"

Of course you don't want to keep redoing a game or you will fall into the Duke Nukem zone, but how do companies with integrity such as Blizzard and Relic always make great games? Because they know how to listen, how to watch, how to design, and they sure as fuck know what INTEGRITY is.

It's the same with hollywood movies. You see AVP 1 or 2 the movie yet no one on the set goes "YOU ASSHOLES ARE RUINING TWO FRANCHISES AT ONCE< FUCK THIS!" and boycott or walk off the set. People are cowards, or are so much in financial debt they never will speak up. Really a stupid cycle here.

2. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 12:17 Lit_Reflex001

Good for them. This new AVP game is such a piece of shit. And what got me is the fact that the guy who did the sound effects is the only one left of the team with any clue as to what the fuck they should have been doing with themselves.  

1. Re: Cuts at Rebellion? Mar 11, 2010, 11:26 Wildone

AVP's just gonna die a quick death  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo