Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games

Startup OnLive announces their cloud-based gaming and content delivery service will launch on June 17 during this year's E3, also revealing the service will carry a $14.95 USD subscription fee, though the first 25,000 users who sign up through this OnLive Registration Page will get their first three months for free. Subscriptions do not include separate fees for the rental or purchase of games, as word is: "Waiver of Service Fee includes free access to OnLive’s Game Service including game demos, video profiles and community features, but does not include playing full versions of games, which are to be purchased or rented separately." There's more on this in this OnLive Blog by Steve Perlman, where the OnLive CEO says: "Once you are on the service, instant-play, top-tier, newly-released games will be for sale and for rent on an à la carte basis. Specific pricing will be announced as games are released, so you’ll hear about the pricing of the first games by E3, but needless to say, we expect them to be offered at competitive prices. Games are always updated with the latest versions, and purchased game add-ons are playable instantly."

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

89. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 15, 2010, 08:44 Verno

Appropriate capitalization can be difficult for some people.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. does not compute Mar 12, 2010, 15:14 space captain

such a discussion being "impossible"

hypothetical conceptualization can be tricky for some

Go forth, and kill!

87. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 12, 2010, 12:30 Verno

Enjoy then. I for one will not be giving up my ownership rights lightly and especially not for a subpar service.  

86. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 12, 2010, 11:52 Fang

The service would be worth it to me if the rental rates were low enough (like $5 for 30 days).

There are plenty of single players games that only last 10 hours that I'd rent for that much. And it would make sense economically.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what their final costs are.

85. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 17:32 Tumbler

just make sure u dont type in any credit card numbers tumbler, i wouldnt trust that company as far as i can throw em.

Good advice, thank you. I think I have a gift card credit card with $9 left on it so maybe I'll use that if there is no way around it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

84. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 17:17 The PC Warrior

just make sure u dont type in any credit card numbers tumbler, i wouldnt trust that company as far as i can throw em.  

83. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 16:51 Tumbler

Because it costs 15 dollars a month, and that's before you get ANYTHING?

Read Closer:

though the first 25,000 users who sign up through this OnLive Registration Page will get their first three months for free.

Sounds free to me, if I don't get a free spot then no dice, but I'll give it a shot for free.

82. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 15:24 Verno

Well Vern, it would have looked better for you if you had just admitted that you misunderstood the post you replied to.

All finished with that little tantrum now Rexie?

I believe it is impossible to do so in a vacuum without thoughts of other factors, which I already said in my post if you bothered to read it like you accuse me of. I'm sorry you're still butthurt I quoted your post and disagreed with the principle of it but that's life champ.

Paying $14.95 plus Games plus Internet access for a barely functional service is the reality most people will be facing with this product. Your whole "well just assume it works for the purposes of discussion" is silly at best and sorry but no, I'm not just going to assume it will work when every reasonable test has indicated it to be roughshod under the most ideal conditions.

So when I consider the price, I will do so within the context of the service's functionality, not whatever you or anyone else dreams it will be in five, ten or twenty years.

81. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 15:09 I've Got The News Blues

Anonymous Rex wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 07:05:
For reference, this is the same world that paid Zynga 80 million bucks last year for virtual items in crappy flash games.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Zynga claims to have 60 million active users per day. So, even if it made 80 million last year from microtransactions, that's not much money per user even if that 60 million were the total number of users in the year instead of just on one day. Those Zynga users are not spending $15 per month on games and certainly not spending $15 per month in addition to spending $30 - $60 initially for a game. They are using Zynga because it is free or close to it.

The casual crowd is not going to embrace OnLive because they don't need to spend $15 a month to play the games they want. There are plenty of free or cheap and immediate options already available for them. And, the hardcore and mainstream gaming crowds aren't going to pay $15 a month for the service because it has too many limitations and cost more compared to what they have right now.

The only way OnLive could succeed is if the game publishers and developers forced it upon consumers by pulling support for the current platforms and releasing future games strictly on OnLive. However that will not happen if the system doesn't work well from a technological perspective.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2010, 09:03.

80. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 14:58 Anonymous Rex

Well Vern, it would have looked better for you if you had just admitted that you misunderstood the post you replied to.

Much of this discussion has been about the pricing. If you honestly, truly believe that it is impossible to discuss that -- if you actually mean what you just said, and are not simply trying vainly to save face -- then you must now go back and take issue with every single post that discusses the pricing.

Do so immediately. We will proceed when you have finished.

If you fail to do so, then we will know that you do not truly belive what you just said about such a discussion being "impossible", and that instead, you are simply trying your best to "win" something on the internetz.

Actually, I'm feeling generous today. I will offer you an alternative. If you can just admit your assertion that the pricing is impossible to discuss was an utterly retarded thing to say, we can move on without the aforementioned demonstration of your true intentions.

79. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 14:23 Verno

Completely ignores the fact that in your rush to show me what a large and powerful electronic penis you have, you utterly failed to understand a single thing you pretended to read and respond to.

Yes, who needs those pesky facts and technical details after all? Let's just dream and have supposition as if pricing were the only variable in the equation. That tech stuff is just smart people trying to talk down to us, hyuk hyuk!

If you want to have a discussion in a vacuum then that's what blogs are for. Sometimes other people might not agree with you and even change the subject! "lets just assume the tech works" bugs me because its a massive, useless assumption in this scenario where we have a shipping product, not some futuristic society where every single american home has 100Mbps fiber and we can stream 720p video over 4G networks. We're not there yet and we're probably not even close to being there yet for this kind of product. When we do reach that point, pricing will be a totally different matter. Look at how pricing has evolved over the past five years alone and where it continues to go with DLC.

Right. So the solution is to then create a non-platform independent system, so that everyone will STOP playing games on the PC and switch to that platform instead. Do you even listen to yourself when you make these comments?

Hear hear.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2010, 14:40.

78. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 14:07 Creston

All those dirt cheap laptops could become gaming platforms

You mean all those dirt cheap laptops that connect to the internet via WiFi? Which isn't supported?

by why would a consumer not try this service...for free..

Because it costs 15 dollars a month, and that's before you get ANYTHING?

Getting more people playing games on the PC is what this platform needs.

Right. So the solution is to then create a non-platform independent system, so that everyone will STOP playing games on the PC and switch to that platform instead. Do you even listen to yourself when you make these comments?

Creston

77. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 13:57 Anonymous Rex

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 08:47:
Let's assume the tech works.

Completely ignores the reality of the

Completely ignores the fact that in your rush to show me what a large and powerful electronic penis you have, you utterly failed to understand a single thing you pretended to read and respond to. Here's why:

When grownups speak of things, it is sometimes necessary to make the temporary assumption that one or more points are either true or false. This is necessary when other points depend on the logical state of the prior points, and such assumptions are made in order to fully examine the subject.

For example, I might say, "Let's assume that there will be a fire so we can discuss the evacuation procedures and determine if they are sufficient." Is the correct response "OK" or "No; there will never be a fire"?

The correct answer is, of course, the former.

In this case, and as clearly outlined in the post you did not read, it was necessary to temporarily assume that the technology worked properly so that we could examine the pricing on its own, without interference from other aspects of the subject matter.

Had you read and/or understood the words you responded to, you would have known this. You would also have noticed that I concluded by saying that the tech would probably not work.

So you see, a smart person would never have responded to what I wrote in quite the way that you did. Sorry if I broke your electronic penis.

76. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 12:38 Verno

All of that fantasy land stuff is nice Tumbler but I'm referring to reality here. There is no market of country travel-spanning laptops that can get access to the kind of internet connections needed to stream 720p reliably and that's even assuming there is a tolerable gaming experience to be had in the first place.

Go play Bioshock with 200ms of input lag @ 720p with artifacting then get back to me about the potential of OnLive.

75. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 12:35 Tumbler

Completely ignores the reality of the issues related to the service's implementation. Let's assume it doesn't work and here's why:

The only way to have this service make money is overselling capacity. Nothing suffers resource starvation on a machine like games. You are introducing multiple points of failure - localized issues on the server, transmission problems and thats without even getting into the little set top box they send you.

All of which ignores the inherent latency added to the game itself. Input lag in an FPS would be unbearable, something akin to playing Call of Duty with a 300ms ping.

I'm sure this is the gaming industry's wet dream on the road to removing all consumer ownership rights but it's simply not a realistic goal at this time.

All points which I would hope an investor would factor into his decision to back this company by why would a consumer not try this service...for free...and see if it's something he or she wants?

Granted pricing is a big factor and the service could work great and cost so much that no one wants it but I'm not sure why a consumer would not be excited about this kind of thing.

All those dirt cheap laptops could become gaming platforms, you could end up getting one of the main advantages of consoles behind the PC platform, low cost hardware that doesn't need upgrading. It's very possible that this could give publishers a HUGE amount of control over their games and how players use them but they already have these controls on the consoles and they are taking control all the time on the PC.

Publishers might even see the benefits of paying for a gamers use of this network for 1 month if they buy a new version of their game, then consumers wouldn't see that as an additional cost but then the publisher would not be giving a copy out that could be resold in any way. (assuming that was the case)

This is really interesting stuff. And PC gaming is going to be affected, there is no question, but to say that everything is "fine" the way it is and just say "NO" to this doesn't do any favors to pc gaming. Getting more people playing games on the PC is what this platform needs.

74. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 11:05 Verno

InBlack wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 10:22:
Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 10:01:
That's an impressive amount of buzzwords.

Sorry for the CAPS/BUZZ words, fucking stress....

I didn't have my morning coffee, forgive my comment.

73. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 10:41 I've Got The News Blues

space captain wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 00:55:
how does the service aspect make it a wet dream?
It gives total control over the content since the customer never has it. The publisher can dictate if the game runs, for how long, and what price must be paid to keep it running. And piracy, sharing, and resale are impossible with this service. Finally it could also eliminate the console/format wars since the same game could be streamed to any platform, i.e. develop one game for all targets. That is what makes it a content provider's wet dream.

If OnLive catches on, publishers could use it for exclusives to the detriment of not only traditional/"real" PC gaming but consoles as well.

72. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 10:22 InBlack

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 10:01:

Sorry for the CAPS/BUZZ words, fucking stress....

I have a nifty blue line!

71. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 10:11 Elessar

What? You all expect to play new games on a free platform? Please.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

70. Re: OnLive Launches in June: Monthly Fee Doesn't Include Games Mar 11, 2010, 10:01 Verno

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo