Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameSpy Open Announced

GameSpy announces GameSpy Open, described as "an initiative to open APIs for data and development services, making it easier for its partners on all platforms to add compelling online features to games, measure game performance and audience engagement, and collaborate with their communities." They say: "By opening up data and services, GameSpy hopes to tear down the walls around online game development, enable new business models and make it much easier for publishers and developers to harness the power of online and social innovations." It's not clear how supporting open standards fits with their business model, but presumably they have this worked out. The most concrete aspect of the announcement is the plan to support OpenID, an open, decentralized user-centric digital identity that eliminates multiple usernames on more than 100 million websites, including Google, Yahoo!, MySpace, and WordPress.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 12, 2010, 04:57 Ant

Tulwinn wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 02:21:
young Whippersnappers! I remember when it was Quakespy and they revolutionised online matchmaking. Have some respect for your elders, even if they do go senile!
Bah, Kali!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 12, 2010, 02:21 Tulwinn

young Whippersnappers! I remember when it was Quakespy and they revolutionised online matchmaking. Have some respect for your elders, even if they do go senile!  

13. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 10, 2010, 17:34 Ant

I still have old GameSpy Arcade installed for old games. I used it a few months ago and it worked.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

12. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 10, 2010, 05:59 space captain

if you were impressed by MPlayer then your suck-meter is broken. enjoy that waiting, tho - sounds awesome  
Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 10, 2010, 03:35 KilrathiAce

MPlayer back in 2000 was something one could truly be impressed by...then Gamespy bought them and I am still waiting for them to stop sucking.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

10. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 23:34 The Half Elf

*hands Rosco a walker and runs away before he starts swinging it wildly*  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 19:48 Rosco

Xenovore wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 17:46:
Gamespy is about as relevant these days as a Model T.

You take that back, you hear me? You take that back right now! I would love to have a Model T these days, GameSpy however, not so much.

How dare you compare the two. You outta be ashamed of yourself.

Damn kids anyways.

Consoles are schwag.

8. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 19:43 space captain

people were sooo pissed when they announced the change.. "pay for gamespy? no fucking way!!"

haha people are idiots. gotta love em though - otherwise there wont be anybody left to feed me grapes and fan me with palm leaves (yeh, we kickin it old school on the ship atm)

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 18:10 Beady

I'm so glad Gamespy has lost so much market share when it comes to middleware.

Every game they were involved in had a terrible MP experience with piss poor server browsers and uptime.

6. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 18:06 Sepharo

For my games that don't make use of Steam's internal server browser I usually use HLSW.

It helps me keep track of and find good servers for aging communities like BF1942 and Quake 3 instagib variations.

5. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 17:59 ViRGE

Personally I miss games that use GameSpy as their master server. It seems like everyone rolls their own solution these days (see: BFBC2) and then has it blow up. I never encountered any issues on MP for games using the GameSpy backend; the only real downside was that the basic server browser provided in the SDK was a bit ugly if the devs never touched it up.  

4. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 17:46 Xenovore

Gamespy is about as relevant these days as a Model T. And after experiencing Gamespy's quality (read: lameness) first-hand in Borderlands -- Gamespy just needs to go straight to hell and not come back. Ever.

3. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 17:03 Quboid

Their relevancy has dropped lately, CoD:MW2 and BF:BC2 among others not using it. I'm guessing they want to tie themselves in with Facebook et all to regain their position in the gaming world.  

- Quboid

2. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 16:27 space captain

man i remember when game spy was a NON-PAYING site  
Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: GameSpy Open Announced Mar 9, 2010, 16:10 Rosco

More like they are opening it to get back some of its original market share. The glory days of GameSpy are long past now with the likes of XFire and Steam taking over what it once had.
GameSpy3D was the best. Emphasis on "was", that is.

Consoles are schwag.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo