Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans

There's a StarCraft II interview on VG247 talking with Dustin Browder, lead designer on Blizzard's upcoming real-time strategy sequel, discussing progress on the StarCraft II beta test, indicating things are progressing nicely. Along the way he reveals plans for a day one patch, which will be required for Battle.net: "We will have a day one patch, a required day one patch," he tells them, saying this will allow the Battle.net team "a little bit more time to sort of get their ducks in a row."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 11, 2010, 22:44 eRe4s3r

If the campaign plays like the MP Beta then this is going to be an epic fail. For the first time i gotta say, StarCraft 2 is a definite "demo first" kind of game. For the campaign, that is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 10, 2010, 15:14 FloorPie

I'm with Flatline. Its a nice prettier nostalgic trip but I'm still on the fence. The new Bnet seems to be the delay and it seems nice but I have concerns since I got in the beta (I'm not keen on the one login name per account/code). Gameplay looks fairly solid if pretty much SC 1.5 (I got really cheesed off when I lost just like the old days to a hydra rush as Toss ) and at this point I'm just not real excited, especially with this 1 game a year deal they're talking about.  

17. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 10, 2010, 09:55 InBlack

Blizzard has not let its fans down so far, why assume the worst with the SC2 release?

I mean even I have to admit (something Im usually loath to do) that the worst game in Blizzard's recent history WoW is a phenomenally good game. I hate it and its not for me (thank the Dark Gods) but its probably the best MMO on the planet. Apart from EvE, which is in a league on its own and obviously only for a specific audience.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 10, 2010, 08:23 Mr. Tact

It will be $50-60, it won't be 1/3 of a game if you measure it by the amount of content.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 18:20 HoSpanky

Gotta agree with Mr Tact on this. Blizzard has yet to release a bad game. They've shelved two projects that they spent years on, only to mark them as a loss because they weren't up to their standards. Hell, Warcraft Adventures was canned a few weeks from its release date (and the story contained in it is actually ASSUMED to be known in warcraft 3).
I'm only worried that Activision will slap a $60 price tag on 1/3 of a game.

14. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 17:33 Ventura

I'm backing the house on this one.

Up until very recently, I haven't bothered following Starcraft 2's progress; I mean, what's the point getting all excited and anxious for something that might still be half a year away?

Just a few days ago though, I started watching HD gameplay videos on Youtube, and now I am totally psyched up for this. I'm in the mood so much I'm tempted to reinstall the original.

I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but as far as I'm concerned, you don't start talking about doing a day one patch until you know you're kinda getting close to that release.

And I'm like... Bring... It... On!!

13. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 17:07 Rhett

I also thought SC2 was too much like the original, despite not being a big PvP fan (as in, melee or un-modified gameplay). The graphics are nice, and there are hundreds of little tweaks that make full use of the AI and make building and such, painless.

I almost exclusively played UMS maps, minus a few attempts at the campaigns (never finished them, much less without cheats). Loved RPG and defense maps to death, though. Looking forward to the editor, since it's supposedly extremely flexible (and just waiting for some ample and creative hands to fondle it).

Still iffy on if it's a day one purchase, but I don't think Blizzard will let us down.

12. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 16:29 Yifes

I would have found Starcraft 1 excellent had it come out before sex.

I would have found sex excellent had it come out before your mom. Now nothing will ever be the same.

Just kidding!

11. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 15:42 Mr. Tact

WCIII and WoW taught me not to doubt Blizzard. Both of those games sounded like losers to me right up to the day I bought them anyway. I was absolutely wrong on both.

So, while I tend to agree with the sentiment of SC2 looking like simply SC 1.5 and D3 being more of an expansion of D2 than anything else -- I'll wait. I'll try them. If both are losers, then Blizzard gets thrown into the pile with all the other developers.

But I'm guessing that won't happen...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 15:25 LittleMe

I think I would have found CoH excellent had it come out before Starcraft 1.

I would have found Starcraft 1 excellent had it come out before sex.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

9. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 14:13 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 13:59:
Starcraft 2 on the other hand is a great update of Starcraft 1 but disappointingly, it doesn't stand out on it's own much. It's very much Starcraft updated for 2010 which I'm sure will please a ton of people but I'm finding beta to be a retread of the first game in so many ways that I'm often left wondering how exactly it took them 10 years when 75% of the game feels the same as the first.

I've wondered this many times.

I rode Starcraft into the ground. I think the last time I played it was 2-3 years ago, because I finally burned out on the gameplay. As a result, there isn't a whole hell of a lot of anything in SC2 that I'm interested in. Everything I see seems to be highly derivative of the first game.

I hate to say it, but I don't even care about the single player storyline any more. RTS has advanced, storytelling has advanced, and I find myself underwhelmed. Maybe the finished product will change my mind, but I get the immense feeling that a lot of the wild talent that made Blizzard so incredible is missing here. Same for Diablo 3 and the B team for World of Warcraft. Maybe they're pouring that focus into their new MMO. Hard to tell. I hope so. Blizzard can still polish better than anyone in the industry, but if that essential spark is missing, it's going to be sad.

8. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 13:59 Verno

Yifes wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 12:55:
I think I would have found this game excellent had it come out before Company of Heroes.

They're actually very comparable games without getting into the obvious things like the graphical differences. Both games strongly reward micro, strategy and knowledge of counters. Having played a lot of both, they are probably the closest RTS games I can think of in those respects.

Starcraft 2 on the other hand is a great update of Starcraft 1 but disappointingly, it doesn't stand out on it's own much. It's very much Starcraft updated for 2010 which I'm sure will please a ton of people but I'm finding beta to be a retread of the first game in so many ways that I'm often left wondering how exactly it took them 10 years when 75% of the game feels the same as the first.

I should note however that the new Battle.net stuff is very slick and interesting. Chat channels are -gone- however, you have your friends list and lobby chats are created on-demand when you make a game. Not sure how custom maps and such will be handled. Most of the backend and new client-side stuff are the most obvious and best improvements between SC1 and 2 beyond the engine itself. The voice chat they bundle is fucking terrible though, sounds like the same crap they used for WoW. Why is it so hard to license Speex?

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2010, 14:10.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

7. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 13:41 Frijoles

I've heard it's the former, that the Battle.Net guys are way behind schedule.  

6. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 13:24 The Pyro

If they're already planning a day one patch then I would hazard a guess that either the Battle.net team is way behind schedule or Blizzard expects the game to go gold in the very near future. Why else would they assume the issues won't be fixed before going gold?

Just my opinion, though

5. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 13:22 Linksil

Was anyone NOT expecting a day 1 patch? I mean really it's like required now by big companies.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

4. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 12:55 Yifes

I think I would have found this game excellent had it come out before Company of Heroes.

3. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 12:49 Rob

2. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 12:48 MrBone

I like it. Starcraft with better graphics and a few added perks. Anyway, the Day 1 patch is to thwart early birds.  

1. Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 12:38 eRe4s3r

So am i the only one absolutely underwhelmed by this game?  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo