Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash

An article on THINQ talks with AMD senior manager of developer relations Richard Huddy about plans to promote AMD's open approach to GPU-accelerated physics at the Game Developers Conference. Along the way he takes a shot at PhysX, NVIDIA's proprietary physics solution, saying he's not aware of any developers besides Epic who are using PhysX for any reason other than finances: "They’re not doing it because they want it; they’re doing it because they’re paid to do it. So we have a rather artificial situation at the moment where you see PhysX in games, but it isn’t because the game developer wants it in there," he tells them. "I’m not aware of any GPU-accelerated PhysX code which is there because the games developer wanted it with the exception of the Unreal stuff," he continues. "I don’t know of any games company that's actually said 'you know what, I really want GPU-accelerated PhysX, I'd like to tie myself to Nvidia and that sounds like a great plan'." Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant via Slashdot.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 12, 2010, 13:19 justice7

SirKnight wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 23:27:
"they’re doing it because they’re paid to do it."

Typical AMD/ATI propaganda BS. That statement, like 99% of theirs, is not true at all. AMD/ATI isn't doing jack for graphics and gaming. Nothing worthwhile anyway. They continue to play catchup to NVIDIA and at the same time spread BS to discredit them.

AMD/ATI has words, NVIDIA has solutions/products. Period.

DirectX11 sure works really well on those NVidia cards...

Late is late, and developers are no longer waiting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 15:11 Verno

The small minded always need to pick a "side", it helps them overcome their inability to form their own decisions and thoughts. People with some sense just buy whatever is a good bargain. "Brand loyalty" is almost hilarious, as if Nvidia or AMD give a shit about anyone individually.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

48. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 14:41 Flatline

Typical AMD/ATI propaganda BS. That statement, like 99% of theirs, is not true at all. AMD/ATI isn't doing jack for graphics and gaming. Nothing worthwhile anyway. They continue to play catchup to NVIDIA and at the same time spread BS to discredit them.

Fanboi much?

If nothing else, AMD keeps the market competitive. Remember a year or two ago when the 4850 came out and matched Nvidia's offerings... for half the price?

Yeah, it might not have pushed video cards into the next iteration, but it forced Nvidia to respond by offering more price-effective cards of their own.

If you have a choice between two cards which generally perform the same, but one is literally half the cost of the other, you're nuts if you spend 250 bucks more for a brand name.

You're also in the distinct minority.

47. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 11:22 MTechnik

Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:32:
Regardless of why it was in there, the physics in Batman AA were pretty damn awesome on a Geforce 250 or above.

This.

The physx in batman were incredible. Made it a much more immersive experience for me to have them turned on. It made it "ok" for me to disable SLI for the game and dedicate one GTX 260 for the fog and papers, and little bits of rubble. Heck, the bricks falling from the wall in the first sandman area were great.

All the rest of the physx stuff I've seen has been "meh" tech demo kinda stuff. But the implementation in Batman AA made me wish more devs did it.

46. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 08:52 Verno

Nvidia hasn't made decent videocards in quite awhile now. Slapping two old year GPUs together on the same PCB isn't innovation. Lots of people trolling eachother in this topic but very little consumer sense. Competition is good for everyone, you should never hope for one vendor to succeed at killing off the others. AMD/ATI doing well has been good for everyone, we now have sub $200 cards that can do moderately high resolutions with details. Nvidia now has to answer that with something, let's hope they are up to the task.

As for PhysX, it's a useless standard that will never gain traction. The interview is spot on, Nvidia does pay developers for exclusivity. They are no different than Microsoft in the console space.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

45. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 03:40 ASJD

That AMD guy is right, but not only that, but the only reason any games have DX11 effects was previously because of AMD paying them off and now in the case of Metro2033 (and perhaps some others) because of Nvidia.

The PC gaming industry has been full of this stuff for years, it's nothing new.

44. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 01:47 Prez

Brand loyalty has always been a dubious proposition in the computer hardware market. Companies all too often leapfrog one another from one generation to the next. I have been sticking pretty much exclusively with AMD because of the price/performance advantage it has over Intel, but otherwise I'm all about who is offering the best product with the most features and at the best price completely without regard for the manufacturer. Nvidia, Ati - makes no difference whatsoever to me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 01:12 I've Got The News Blues

Apparently you haven't taken your head out of Nvidia's ass long enough to realize that only AMD/ATI has been shipping DirectX 11 video cards thus far. Nvidia's offerings have been AWOL for months.

42. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 01:09 I've Got The News Blues

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:59:
That said, AMD would have done the same thing had they had the opportunity, so it does seem like a bit of sour grapes.
AMD could have done the same thing and developed its own API, but I am glad it didn't and chose to use the standards because the consumer loses with proprietary API's as it limits choice.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2010, 01:21.

41. The problem is the stifling of competition. Mar 9, 2010, 01:07 I've Got The News Blues

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 21:41:
It's not a problem at all, it's marketing.
It IS a problem because it stifles real competition. Nvidia can't yet compete with AMD/ATI on the real merits of its cards (DirectX 11) so it intentionally prevents AMD/ATI cards from functioning with PhysX. And, Nvidia doesn't even allow PhysX to function on an Nvidia card if an AMD/ATI card is in the same PC being used for video.

Consumers are the ones who suffer for it in lack of choice and higher prices for Nvidia cards than they could otherwise fetch in the marketplace.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2010, 01:22.

40. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 00:51 PropheT

I'm not really picky about which I buy from between Nvidia or ATI, but the ATI cards are a better deal and have been for a while.

The price/performance comparison has come out in favor of ATI for years now. Catch-up isn't an issue when their cards perform nearly the same and yet are almost universally cheaper...and PhysX hasn't been enough of a selling point to even consider it when buying a card.

39. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 00:34 Manfromx

Like I was saying earlier.

If "how the world works" equates to companies making things proprietary and forcing people to buy their product then of course I'll agree that it "can" work that way.

You seem to think that's the only way it should work though. With standards like Directx,OpenCL and GL I think the point can be made it doesn't have to work that way.

With your argument Agent, the problem with GM is that they weren't convincing the government to impose 20mph speed limits on all foreign cars in the United States. That way GM's cars can just fly right past everyone clearly superior! Imagine the money they'll make!

Man that's just good ol' capitalism right there. Plus everyone benefits so long as you buy the right car *nudge*.

Nvidia is just inventing a new rule that they want everyone to follow. The only fly in the ointment is when almost no one follows.

38. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 00:28 Stinger-X

Nvidia will never be in my machine again after their Thermal Failure fiasco a couple years back and how it was handled, Nice sidestepping to get around the majority of warranties tho I'll give them that.
I hope PhysX dies a painful death..

Up yours Nvidia

37. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 9, 2010, 00:17 Agent.X7

The PC Warrior wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 23:35:

yeah, proprietary solutions that people will only use if they are paid to do so you utter tool. cant wait to see the gtx480 running at 70 degrees and using 300w of power to give the same performance as a 5970, lolol.

ati's products have been running the table on the market for two years now while nvidia has been rebadging the G92.

Who's the fanboy? Methinks thou useth the projection too much.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

36. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 23:35 The PC Warrior

yeah, proprietary solutions that people will only use if they are paid to do so you utter tool. cant wait to see the gtx480 running at 70 degrees and using 300w of power to give the same performance as a 5970, lolol.

ati's products have been running the table on the market for two years now while nvidia has been rebadging the G92.

35. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 23:29 SirKnight

entr0py wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 22:26:
Perhaps Nvidia should just start making graphics cards exclusively for Apple since they're pushing to make hardware proprietary and incomparable.

lolwut? One of the more ignorant comments so far... Good job.

34. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 23:27 SirKnight

33. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 22:48 The PC Warrior

no, you just excuse everything nvidia has been doing but youre not a fanboy at all. thanks for the revelations sherlock, we know what theyve been doing and why.  

32. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 22:41 Agent.X7

The PC Warrior wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 22:02:
amd did have the opportunity and they co-founded an open format instead. lots of fanboys up in this thread, how can you defend something so dumb? bribery and screwing the market with exclusivity contracts is cool if its your favorite videocard maker? sounds lame.

Not a fanboy. Not saying it is right. Explaining why it is. Messing with the market is the way the world works. Get used to it or face a lifetime of crying in your beer "it's not FAIR!"

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

31. Re: AMD: Games Only Use PhysX for Cash Mar 8, 2010, 22:26 entr0py

I still resent Eidos for delaying the release of Arkham Asylum for 3 weeks so they could shoe horn in PhysX. Seems like Richard Huddy's comments are right on.

Perhaps Nvidia should just start making graphics cards exclusively for Apple since they're pushing to make hardware proprietary and incomparable.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo