Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again

Ubisoft tweets that their DRM servers are experiencing another denial of service attack, and users are having trouble playing, as was the case over the weekend. Word is: "Our servers are under attack again. Some gamers are experiencing trouble signing in. We're working on it and will keep you posted."

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

24. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 19:23 Cutter

Well I suppose this is what happens when you paint a big bullseye on yourself and tell the consumer to fuck himself and the horse he rode in on.

And I'm guessing retailers are going to be forced to accept title returns or there are going to be class-action suits up the wazoo. Imagine buying a car and the company telling you that you can only drive it when they permit it?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 19:17 Vulkan

Man, I remember back when Quake 3 Arena came out with its shiny and new cd-key security system for multiplayer and a bunch of scoundrels DDoS'ed the authentication servers.

Thankfully, as opposed to these clowns, id Software actually had brains bigger than peas and had the foresight to temporarily lose the requirement for a valid cd-key should the authentication servers fail. While this meant people who downloaded the game could play multiplayer, it also meant the paying customers didn't lose access to the game while the problem was dealt with.

22. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 19:01 Overon

I buy the DDOS story. There are people out there who are against this kind of Draconian DRM (I'm going to coin a new term DRM=Draconian Rights Management) and they would be very motivated to do this to demonstrate a point.  

21. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:52 raVen

I think retailers should take pc games back again now that they have one time use keys and things.

This would put pressure on assholes publishers or developers to not use such crappy DRM.

Plus, if one use keys are sent back to manufacturer / publisher when the game is returned they can deactivate the key. (Thinking more along the lines of steam)

Ubisoft: Look at Steam, DRM that works and isn't horrendous to the customer.

20. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:45 BurntSoul

Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 18:44:
I swear this is making my night! Woohoo

I hear ya, man. I'm glad I had a wait and see attitude with this one.

19. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:44 nin

If Ubisoft removes the DRM, the pirates win. If they do not remove the DRM, the paying customers lose.

I'm pretty sure the pirates won days ago...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:44 Prez

I swear this is making my night! Woohoo  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:42 BurntSoul

You know, you've got to wonder who the hell does their PR and/or marketing management thinks about the future of their games for the PC, to think about implementing DRM like this and then spew it out to customers in a newsbrief as some kind of new boon/feature for their customers.

They could have studied models of companies like Steam/Valve or Impluse/Stardock (over an afternoon, for God's sake) and said, "yeah we are going to implement something just like those guys" (more eloquently, of course) - and then actually do it like that. No they had to be different, they had to be difficult about it and get fancy and shove that fantastic DRM down their paying customers' throats. Where did this cluster fuck get them? Somebody is snorting cocaine over there...

16. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:31 BurntSoul

This is just the ticket for Ubisoft to add terrorist hackers to the blame game equation.  

15. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:27 Ventura

If Ubisoft removes the DRM, the pirates win. If they do not remove the DRM, the paying customers lose.

Pretty sure they've already been able to crack this game to play without the DRM anyway.

Come to think of it then, the pirates are probably the only ones playing this right now. Had I bought this game and really wanted to be able to play it, I'd probably be looking into using their crack on my installation.

The way it is right now, the customers are the ones losing out. What do you choose between guilty men being let free, or innocent men being convicted? Ubisoft would go for the latter.

14. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:25 Scottso

Iridium wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 17:51:

How did they not think they'd end up in this situation?

The pirates already won no matter what they do. They should just stick to console games and leave the PC market, especially if this is their "solution" to piracy.

13. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:24 Akuinnen

[url=]http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/ubisoft-on-drm-snafu-servers-attacked-pirates-locked-out.ars?comments=1#comments-bar[/url]

All in all, we hope people understand all this is done to preserve the future of PC gaming.

12. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:15 ASJD

I don't doubt people are DDOS'ing their servers, tons of people were saying they would.

If I were Ubisoft I'd just say fuck it, PC gamers aren't worth it.

11. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:08 xXBatmanXx

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHABWABBAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!ONEONEONEONE!!!!

That is all.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 18:06 Marvin T. Martian

DDOS my a$$, They can't handle the load and weren't prepared for it.

UBI--quit making PC games--it would be better for the gamer and your substandard company.

9. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 17:57 necrosis

This is the song that doesn't end. It goes on and on my friend...  

8. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 17:55 ForgedReality

They're going to try to filter half the traffic out at their routers, and when that fails, they're going to release a patch to make the game only authenticate on install. Watch.  

7. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 17:52 Mashiki Amiketo

"Our servers are under attack again. Some gamers are experiencing trouble signing in. We're working on it and will keep you posted."
Translation:
We screwed up and there isn't enough capacity through our network to let all you suckers sign in. So we're just going to call it a DoSA. Stay tuned, you might be able to play that game eventually.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

6. Internet Needed Mar 8, 2010, 17:51 headkase

Regardless of the source of the denial what this highlights is that Internet is required for a single-player game. It is simply an artificial extra requirement which has a big cog in Murphy's Law. There are so many reasons you could be without Internet, it is unreliable in many places or simply not-affordable for constant connection in emerging markets or places like Iraq for certain American Citizens stationed there. Ubisoft has chosen to punish all of their legitimate customers to spite the people who never gave them money anyway. That's a winning business strategy: or more likely an executive who made a bone-head decision and everyone values their jobs too much to tell him he's an idiot.  

5. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Under Fire Again Mar 8, 2010, 17:51 Iridium

How did they not think they'd end up in this situation?

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo