Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft's DRM Failure

The Ubisoft Forums have posts from customers who were unable to play games protected by Ubisoft's online DRM yesterday because the DRM servers were offline. Needless to say most of the posts express severe unhappiness at being unable to play and express anger over a DRM scheme that locks paying customers out of their own game. This Ubisoft tweet explains: "Apologies to anyone who couldn’t play ACII or SH5 yesterday. Servers were attacked which limited service from 2:30pm to 9pm Paris time," and this one follows up: "95% of players were not affected, but a small group of players attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors."

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 9, 2010, 00:02 Acleacius

Of course why would ubi accept the blame, when they can blame the customers? As others mentioned, i.e. ddos attacks you know like customers trying to connect to actually play the games they are forced to play with an online connection.

not like it's ubi's fault or anything. Middlefinger

never playing ubi games again, after starforce was over, I bought Dark Messiah but that was it. never again.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 18:01 Marvin T. Martian

If I have said once, I have said it 1000 times "UBI SHOULD GET OUT OF THE PC MARKET" !

As to all those that said this DRM wouldn't be a problem and couldn't care less about it--- . You deserve itbecause you continue to support them with your money.

76. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 17:31 ForgedReality

Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 17:11:
Edit:
Doh, that was expressed by kimbambaman in a comment previous to me.
And me. ;D Double-ninja'd.

75. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 17:11 Dev

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/03/08/004219

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98927-Ubisoft-DRM-Authentication-Servers-Go-Down

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98935-Ubisoft-Blames-DRM-Outage-on-Server-Attack

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98861-Ubisoft-Tweaks-Assassins-Creed-2-DRM

They are blaming it on a DDoS (what a surprise), but I found a very interesting idea on slashdot in a comment. Its just a likely number of legit players is overwhelming thier servers, so its a DDoS alright, only its from legit players trying to legitimately play thier game and ubisoft can't handle it.

Edit:
Doh, that was expressed by kimbambaman in a comment previous to me.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2010, 17:24.

74. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 17:00 ForgedReality

I don't know whose bright idea it was to create a DRM like this. How could they have not foreseen this shit happening?! For those of you looking to go into game design, and you hate the company you work for, just throw in some code that makes the game authenticate with servers back home. That way, you've got a handy little program that's guaranteed to create a distributed denial of service attack.

Watch, I give it less than a week before Ubi realizes they can't afford to buy enough server bandwidth to fix the problem at their end, and they'll just end up putting out a patch that neuters their ridiculous DRM, doing the crackers' jobs for them. Wow. What a nightmare for the Ubi suits right now huh? Spent all that money on some DRM that ended up biting them in the ass, and now they're gunna need to scrap it altogether. Sweet.

At this point, only the pirates will be the ones able to play the game, since certainly Ubi's customers can't. GOOD JOB! I buy a game, I expect it to fucking work. Tying it to some distant servers is a stupid, ridiculous idea.

73. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 16:50 Surf

Usually GameCopyWorld.com can bypass the DRM and its a perfect time to start using that site going forward.  

72. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 16:11 wtf_man

kxmode wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 14:52:
Grifter wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 10:37:
Pirating the game only feeds the problem. A true protest is someone who doesn't buy the game AND doesn't pirate it either! Any of you who pirated the game because of the DRM aren't helping. If you're going to pirate it, then STFU.

Normally I would agree with you... but in this case, I hope the pirates do force Ubi into getting out of PC Gaming market - entirely.

/shrug

71. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 16:05 Elessar

This will ultimately fail and you know who'll be to blame in Ubisoft's eyes? The PC market.

It's not right, it's not fair, it's unjust... yet you can certainly not expect them to look inward. Oh no. They'll blame us and possibly rob us of future PC titles. Which is fine, I suppose, if it's going to be like this.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

70. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:59 Prez

PC gamers give up and go exclusively to consoles

Not this gamer. I'll quit gaming first. I've tried console gaming multiple times and it is unequivocally not for me.

PC gamers boycott publishers who continue to use invasive DRM

I've already done it. The more people who learn this (the hard way if necessary) the better.

Nothing happens and things get worse for PC gaming

If nothing happens, it'll just be the status quo.

Microsoft humps a waffle

Time to call PETB (people for the ethical treatment of breakfast)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

69. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:54 kanniballl

Wow, who saw that coming?

/sarcasm

I still don't get how they estimate 95% not affected if the DRM servers were offline.

My theories

1 - Only *some* DRM servers in a cluster were down, and load-balancing estimates that 5% of requests were dropped/denied. IE, 1 server out of 20 went down.

2 - All of the DRM servers were down, but they could still somehow count the number of distinct request IPs to the server. Divide number of IPs by number of sales and you have 5%; meaning only 5% of users tried accessing the DRM servers during the outtage.
That seems like a lot of work to do just to say "see, only 5% couldn't..."

3 - It had nothing to do with DRM servers being down, but something flakey that prevented people from connecting. Perhaps a setting, bad piece of hardware, etc. Most likely POOR SUPPORT/ADMINISTRATION

4- DDoS. Yes, it's possible some angry coders decided to seek revenge on Ubi for such an annoying piece of DRM.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2010, 15:59.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

68. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:52 Kxmode

netrace wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 15:44:
Hey now! That's offensive to waffles.

I actually just got done humping a waffle and it wasn't all that bad.

No you didn't. Waffle humping is reserved for wealthy people and corporations. It's a national pass-time of the elite. I don't think your wealthy enough to hump buttermilk waffles. Admit it!

67. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:48 necrosis

kxmode wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 15:32:
necrosis wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 15:02:
LOL ROUND 2!

http://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/10184920360

This is the sort of shit you expect to see on launch day for a MMO not a fucking single-player game.
Reminds me of LBP launch on PS3. Tho that was outright server fail. To much load. To play single player you has to take the PS3 off the Internet because it did stat tracking even in that mode.

As for the DDoS... Who did not smell that coming? Tho I am suprised that the servers wernt attacked on day one.

I wonder how UBI is going to Handel this if it continues for another day/week/forever.

66. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:44 netrace

Hey now! That's offensive to waffles.

I actually just got done humping a waffle and it wasn't all that bad.

65. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:43 Creston

*giggles*

Ubi, you poor retarded shitmonkeys. Your DRM servers went down, but somehow that only affected 5% of the people trying to access the game? Which they PAID for? You know, the money that keeps you worthless cuntstools in business?

Oh, how I hope you fucking burn.

Creston

64. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:39 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 15:36:
I guess the claim I hear all the time that "The average end user doesn't care about DRM" is soon going to go the way of the dodo.

I hope their servers stay under "attack" by gamers trying to play their games for weeks. Months would be even better. It would serve everyone involved right.

This is only going to lead to four possible outcomes:
  • PC gamers give up and go exclusively to consoles
  • PC gamers boycott publishers who continue to use invasive DRM
  • Nothing happens and things get worse for PC gaming
  • Microsoft humps a waffle
  •  

63. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:36 Prez

I guess the claim I hear all the time that "The average end user doesn't care about DRM" is soon going to go the way of the dodo. It's hard not to care when you can't play your game for days because of it.

I hope their servers stay under "attack" by gamers trying to play their games for weeks. Months would be even better. It would serve everyone involved right.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:33 siapnar

lol, this is brutal.

Much worse than I originally thought.

This is a total clusterfuck of a system Ubi's got going.

I have projectile dysfunction.

61. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:32 Kxmode

necrosis wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 15:02:
    LOL ROUND 2!

This is the sort of shit you expect to see on launch day for a MMO not a fucking single-player game.

60. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:25 peteham

"Our servers are under attack again" ..

Yeah, they're being DDoS'ed by a bunch of gamers trying to play with that 50k tihng running.

Sure sounds better than "we totally managed to underestimate launch-week capacity requirements" or "our new scheme is totally retarded, and instead of proper monitoring systems we're relying on our forum community managers to call in faults based on end-user feedback".

The 95% unaffected figure sure is worthy of a chuckle.

That said, cliffski also made some highly valid points over at rock paper shotgun on this very topic.

59. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 15:06 nin

LOL ROUND 2!

Thanks! Keep em coming!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo